Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.04.07, 03:01 PM   #11
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I don't mind Kono Ya no Kagiri so much either, and I am a fan of Adult. But I don't think they grab me as much as the majority of the stuff prior to them, so I'll go with Maou's choice of Sounan. As much as I like Adult, it didn't really have a major stand-out track that I adore as much as I did Shiina's solo work or a track or two off Kyouiku.
Old 2008.04.07, 05:10 PM   #12
monad

monad is an asset to this community

Well, if you consider OSCA a Ringo song, then OSCA. I will never, never, ever understand the OSCA haterz, or even the OSCA 'meh'-erz. *

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Whichever song was the last Adult song written/recorded.
That alternate version of Tasogare naki on the Adult video is really well done. I dunno if it's "classic", but it's got a great little NRBQ-ish vibe going on.

* edit: The merits or lack thereof of OSCA pretty obviously was hashed to death here before my time, so sorry for treading back over a well-beaten path that everyone else is probably completely sick of going down. But still.

I mean, seriously. That song's up there with the very best of her pre-Jihen tunes (excepting KZK) -- back when it seemed like she just reached down into a bag, picked out all sorts of different styles, and figured out a way put them all togetIt'sher into a big messy blob of pure awesomenes. You've got your Red-era King Crimson pointy prog angularity, you've got your spasmo hyper-caffeinated funk bass line, you've got your nasty-ass Japanese female punk screeching. What's not to like?

Last edited by monad : 2008.04.07 at 06:30 PM.
monad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.08, 11:39 AM   #13
Silverrime

Silverrime is headed in the right direction

Well if we're talking about songs; my vote goes to Sakuran. I think it'd be right at home in the Mayonaka single, which it seems many agree is the best single in Ringo's career.
HF Gamble, Hatsukoi Shoujo, and Karisome Otome deserve mention too; if those 4 songs would have been a separate release, I would have considered it top tier.

Silverrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.10, 10:53 AM   #14
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I vote for Hatsukoi Shoujo or the Tamatebako stuff.
Then again I'm someone who thought that SR was losing it during Adult already.
I have the same opinion that JR have
and I'd have Kingyo no hako as a SR quality song if in its very end (after the start of the guitar solo) it didn't remind me so strongly L'arc. but it does... don't know why.

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.17, 10:32 AM   #15
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

If this was the Last Ringo coolest song(s) thread, I'd pick "OSCA", but, since it's a cover and it's by TJ, I won't.

As some of you said, "Kono Yo no Kagiri", the whole single, would be my last classic one.

Although that, "Mayonaka wa Junketsu" will ever be my favorite single .
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.17, 01:12 PM   #16
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Definitely!!! The Mayonaka single is utter perfection. sigh!!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.18, 05:00 AM   #17
Mad_Mac

Mad_Mac pleased at least somebody

For Ringo Classic I should choose Kyoiku with its DO. I still love Shiina's style afterward but for a Classic Ringo i Don't think There are anything Than that set.

As for the solo I second freckle. It just marvelous

She's a Mac user too.....
Mad_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.22, 02:31 PM   #18
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by monad View Post
Well, if you consider OSCA a Ringo song, then OSCA. I will never, never, ever understand the OSCA haterz, or even the OSCA 'meh'-erz. *

That alternate version of Tasogare naki on the Adult video is really well done. I dunno if it's "classic", but it's got a great little NRBQ-ish vibe going on.

* edit: The merits or lack thereof of OSCA pretty obviously was hashed to death here before my time, so sorry for treading back over a well-beaten path that everyone else is probably completely sick of going down. But still.

I mean, seriously. That song's up there with the very best of her pre-Jihen tunes (excepting KZK) -- back when it seemed like she just reached down into a bag, picked out all sorts of different styles, and figured out a way put them all togetIt'sher into a big messy blob of pure awesomenes. You've got your Red-era King Crimson pointy prog angularity, you've got your spasmo hyper-caffeinated funk bass line, you've got your nasty-ass Japanese female punk screeching. What's not to like?
I agree with everything above. Not only does it live up to her back catalogue, I've converted more people to SR/TJ by playing them OSCA than with any of her other songs (even beating out Marunouchi Sadistic).
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.23, 06:30 AM   #19
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

I had a small get-together over the weekend and had OSCA and Killer Tune on the playlist (mixed in with all that hip-hop and hipster pop w/ cred) and they were well-received. I half-expected a comment like "Ew what is this Chinese music?" or "Ew if I can't understand the words I can't hit the floor on all fours" being that my 2 Live Crew averages an age of 21, so I was surprised that we were all getting into the music.

(the tequila doubleshots helped some)
Old 2008.07.20, 10:31 AM   #20
ringomaster
Banned

ringomaster doesn't know when to shut up

Kyogenshou
ringomaster is offline   Reply With Quote