Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.04.16, 05:56 AM   #21
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I also recommend eMule, but I use it for other more useful... hands-on forms of media.
Really??? I would think that eMule is too slow for that sort of entertainment. Unless your one of those "collector" types who's after seriously rare "films" from the 60s and 70s.

I usually only use eMule for single tracks, it is great for all those obscure tracks and even allows searches in asian characters.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.01, 06:29 PM   #22
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

To add my two newbie cents in response to your original question, conditionally yes, in my experience. I spent quite a few years in NYC recording studios, have had many friends who wrote music, and wrote a fair amount myself. When you've finished something you're proud of, you want to play it for your friends. You want to listen to it yourself and enjoy your creation. But does it end up in heavy rotation permanently in your music library? Not in my experience. You move on to the next project, your mind concentrating on the present and the future. But you don't necessarily banish it forever. If it stirs up happy memories, sure, give something a listen again on occasion.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.02, 09:51 PM   #23
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

You're right, listening to your own work is a much more intimate experience. You know it from conception through completion. And its complicated, with a number of factors involved. Little things, like an edit I can hear because I know its there don't bother me. But if I had to make a concession during the production, that really sucks, even though the listener has no idea something is missing. And pieces that I was proud of when I was new to studios now sound awful.
On a slightly different note, it occurs to me that there is an inversely proportional relationship between the time and attention required to re-experience past work and the likelihood of doing so. On my walls I have pieces of my visual art and I glance at them often, but it only takes a moment to experience them fully. On the opposite end of the spectrum, it seems unlikely that writers would spend countless hours rereading their old novels multiple times.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote