Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.07.22, 09:47 PM   #31
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Legitimate reasons you've probably never heard before:

1.) The most elite ripping/burning drives never come physically preinstalled into Macs. Even when you get an external USB version, Macs still don't know how to take advantage of the unit as anything beyond an ordinary drive. I also have a CD-RW drive which can 'print' onto the bottom of CD-Rs, and Macs don't know how to tap that feature either.

2.) Canopus ProCoder (for Windows) produces the least bastardly MPEG2 encodings I have ever seen (which is important when you're producing DVDs), and the encode tasks are queueable with plenty of fine-tunable parameters.

3.) No music player on OSX even comes close to foobar2000. It's got so much format support, its appearance is extremely customizable, and it does a pretty damn good job as a format converter, too.

4.) If you build your own PC, then it could come preinstalled with a much nicer power supply than you ever find factory-loaded into a Mac, with higher efficiency ratings, tighter margins on voltage, etc. - which means a better life for your internal components, and can also be better for your listening experience.

5a.) OSX doesn't care much about ZFS, and though Windows neglects potential support on that too, Windows offers far more comprehensive opportunities for virtualization - which in-turn offers you far more ZFS support than you're ever going to get with OSX as the host OS.

5b.) 5a is one of several reasons why longterm torrenting is phenomenally more sustainable in Windows than in OSX. "cloned snapshots" in ZFS allow you to make changes to the tags of torrented audio files without discontinuing to seed, and without storing 2 complete copies of the audio. I can also verify (and on-the-fly repair) the integrity of my one-and-only copy of the audio while continuing to read it for other purposes - such as playback. These 'scrubs' read at 290-340 MB/s on my computer when there's no bit rot to fix - which there pretty much never is. That's 8 TB of data audited in 8 hours with no downtime. The HDDs cost me $400 total, and the ZFS management eats (at most) one of the six cores out of my $200 CPU.

6.) Applications which have been coded in C# (a very Windows-centric language), are more recyclable (portions of code can be used in a wide variety of contexts), and such projects are much easier to update. This then reduces what is required from me as a programmer, to develop an app for managing my torrents or my custom media library system. You don't know what the real war between operating systems is shaping up to turn out like in the long run, if you don't understand how reusable and maintainable C# code is versus the programming code of any professional-looking projects you can create for OSX. C# is like Microsoft's field of dreams - they built it, and the developers will come. If developers (and employers) are gradually coming to prioritize C# over any other language (because C# development is a more efficient use of man hours), then Windows will offer the widest variety of specialty apps - when this war is further along.

7.) My CPU can be (and is) from the manufacturer who actually invented the 64bit extensions to x86 (in use throughout newer Macs and Windows PCs), and who always thought that memory controllers built into the CPU (instead of the motherboard) were a good idea. Intel copies competitors at least as much as Microsoft does, and they're the only x86 CPUs you can get in a Mac. Intel (as a CPU manufacturer) is still just as uncool today as they were before their CPUs were ever featured inside of Macs. There is nothing creative, artistic, hipster, or extra-stable about owning an Intel Mac (as opposed to a PowerPC-architecture Mac, or an Opteron Windows workstation). The only way to own an Intel Mac with your head outside of your ass, is if you are particularly keen on the fact that your x86 PC (what all modern Macs are) happens to be booting into a different distro of BSD than somebody else's x86 PC could be booting into, and only because OSX is looking for Apple-branded PC hardware which is architecturally no different from modern PCs sold with Windows.

8.) 16 GB of DDR3 RAM costs only $150, and I can find non-wasteful reasons to utilize most of it.
Old 2011.07.22, 09:50 PM   #32
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

On a related note, I always get a kick out of it when my wannabe Mac user roommate insists to me that the large majority of film editors use Final Cut Pro on Macs. Tell that to the scores of studios using Avid on PC, and haha.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.23, 06:25 AM   #33
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Hm, interesting. I don't know too much about computers, so there was stuff that I didn't understand, but you ARE awfully convincing, Glath!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.27, 09:36 AM   #34
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Back in the 20th century, professional audio hardware and software was almost exclusively made for Apple computers. Different world today.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.27, 12:12 PM   #35
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
Back in the 20th century, a larger portion what Apple sold was produced in-house and was uniquely theirs.
Old 2011.07.27, 09:20 PM   #36
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Someone's been following the patent lawsuits.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.27, 09:28 PM   #37
Glathannus
True Final Boss

I make a deliberate effort not to follow the legal proceedings so closely, because with all the counter lawsuits going on (and then extra people such as Paul Allen trying to sue everybody), I'm honestly afraid I would get myself into some manner of stack overflow if I were seriously going to wait around for everything to "resolve". I need to put that in quotes, because there's always the Appeals process (and counter-counter lawsuits).

I actually wasn't talking about Apple copying anybody else - I was mainly referring to how much outsourcing they do nowadays.
Old 2011.07.28, 12:16 AM   #38
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Does anyone here think Sony is going to conquer Apple with any of these products:

http://anythingbutipod.com/archives/brands/sony/

I haven't used any of them, and don't consider myself a Sony buff, but anything that'll kick Apple in the throat gets my vote.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.28, 04:11 AM   #39
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Does anyone here think Sony is going to conquer Apple with any of these products:

http://anythingbutipod.com/archives/brands/sony/

I haven't used any of them, and don't consider myself a Sony buff, but anything that'll kick Apple in the throat gets my vote.
As a mainstream alternative to the iPod, I think the new Walkmans will work. They have (what seem to be) some great playlist-oriented bells-and-whistles and better sound than any Apple player. But beyond that, I don't care for them. No FLAC support (still), and, in the US, no 32/64 GB models. And the sound isn't that great -- "Clear Bass" is anything but.

I have a 2008 S-Series and have been reasonably happy with it, but I'll be taking my business to Cowon for my next player.

Last edited by The Most Curious Thing : 2011.07.28 at 09:25 AM.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.28, 08:25 AM   #40
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

I've never been happy with any Sony audio related products...speakers, headphones, media players. I used to own a MiniDisc player and I like that mainly because of the colorful minidiscs.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote