Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.05.31, 01:17 AM   #11
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Just got back from a Japanese/English radio interview at Kinokuniya bookstore. Me and one other real fan attended (and were front row center!), and everyone else was an anime fan who knew of them mostly from Eureka 7. It seems that their popularity here and in France is mostly based on their music being used for anime theme music. Whatever works.

Anyway, it was a blast. Actually got to talk to them for a few minutes, one on one. Wow. I was worried that I wouldn't have the same opportunity Chicago fans had to actually meet and touch them, but this afternoon that all happened. Today was so, so special. Connecting with people who give me joy. One of the most magical aspects of Japanese music fandom is the wonderful moments of proximity.

A couple of junky cameraphone pictures.

Name:  BaconCDforweb.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  478.3 KB

Name:  Halcaliandmeforweb.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  386.7 KB
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.01, 03:10 PM   #12
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Wow. Perfect NYC Halcali fan weekend. I was in the front row during their show in Central Park, and then got to hang out with them for a while backstage. I am now their official number one New York fan. When they went back on stage at the end of the concert, they waved to me in the audience. They, like, KNOW me!! Wow.
Name:  CentralParkHalcali.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  386.4 KB
Old 2008.06.02, 03:09 AM   #13
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Its so hard to find the words... they escape me at the moment... Oh yea I F-ING HATE YOU, with my whole being... YOu have not only met halcali, but have become known by them? The un-imaginable amount of hate brooding in my heart...

All of this is jut saying I'm jealous of you, lol. Man, they are too fine, both of them, but I've never seen them in person before. My favorite band is tsushimamire, they are coming to america in the fall, I hope I have half the success you have. I bet your japanese is better than mine though... curses!

You got.... your...bacon signed? AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

So jealous, I can barely stand it...

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.02, 10:43 AM   #14
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

I remain stupidly happy today. I thought I was such a cool, immutable recording studio pro. David Bowie would say "Hi, Jamie" daily during my ten years as Philip Glass' technical engineer, and I just smiled and returned the greeting. Sheesh, David Bowie introduced me to David Lynch!

This weekend I was outside of the recording studio world, with it's rigid rules of behavior, and I could be goofy and happy and express my love as much as I cared to. Probably a once in a lifetime experience. But gloriously unforgettable.
Old 2008.06.05, 10:16 AM   #15
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Uhh yeah gyoza... I love them too. I eat them much too seldomly. I visited a gyoza place run by Chinese people last Sunday. Awesome and really cheap (in Ekoda, close to a place called Shiina-machi (椎名街). (I think things like that are funny.)) So this pic is from that gyoza place. The focus is on the eggplant dish though, I like the dish very much but at that place it wasn't as good as it can be. The name of the dish beats me... and no real clue what's in it. Some kind of soy sauce mebbe...
but the gyoza were like... so fresh and young and goes right down your throat... wonderful...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010104.JPG (1.41 MB, 1 views)
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.06, 05:56 AM   #16
jigenbakuda

To further add to off-topic shenanigans, when I was in iwakuni (about 30 minutes by train[regular densha] west) of hiroshima .... they had this place... this mysteriously wonderful... the most excellent place I have ever dined. A place called the gyoza house (not sure if its a chain).... I base all gyoza I taste off of theirs. To me, that is GYOZA. When I was about to leave iwakuni, I walked to the gyoza house (a couple miles maybe...) ate around 18 gyoza with chicken and rice... then walked back... It was the best walk I ever had... Plus gyoza house has cripsy gyoza, which I believe is the truest reflection of gyoza. Although when I went to okinawa, my girlfriend introduced me to the store bought ninniku gyoza... Oh how it got me through those days. We had a gyoza party for my going away party, hamburg gyoza, pork gyoza... we wanted to do taco gyoza... Ah gyoza is so closely associated with the great times in my life!

JPAPANESE friend chicken owns its american big brother so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2008.06.10, 02:49 PM   #17
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

I read today on jaraten's Halcali blog that a new Halcali forum is in the works. Nothing there yet but an announcement about it hopefully becoming active by July.
Old 2008.06.11, 12:07 AM   #18
jigenbakuda

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
I read today on jaraten's Halcali blog that a new Halcali forum is in the works. Nothing there yet but an announcement about it hopefully becoming active by July.
Please keep me updated on that. I would love to join. I wonder how many non-japanese halcali fans there are? Well I understand that might be less than I expect, but they are pretty cool, and with their new album they are coming out with (I think), it could generate some new fans. How were people responding to them in new york? Were they just like whatever, or were they into them?

Old 2008.06.11, 09:20 PM   #19
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

There was a good response, but not a great one. It was like when Puffy played for free outside in NYC. Lots of people, but most of them had never heard of the band before.
Old 2008.06.12, 03:32 PM   #20
jigenbakuda

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
There was a good response, but not a great one. It was like when Puffy played for free outside in NYC. Lots of people, but most of them had never heard of the band before.
You know I heard that puff daddy's lawyers contacted puffy and told them the could not use the name puffy in america or they would face legal fire! WTF!? Do you know who the fuck you are talking to, puffy daddy drones? I would allow myself to be sued to replace every puff daddy song with a puffy one....

Well If people wish to respond lukewarmly to great music... its their fault for being stuck in their bubbles of doom.... Although I wish there would of been a little better response to halcali... I wonder did they respond well to the other bands? Or was it a lukewarm crowd altogether?