Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.07.05, 10:41 PM   #521
papilionidae

papilionidae deserves a fucking medal

流行

Where is HZM...............????????

p.s. chatenoire found this, not me. STOP lurking dear!

Last edited by papilionidae : 2009.07.05 at 10:54 PM.
papilionidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.05, 11:29 PM   #522
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Lustau View Post
If there is one thing that Sanmon Gossip is missing that is essential to Shiina Ringo, it is hubris. Stoicism had it. KZK had it from beginning to end. Tokyo Jihad said that KZK explicitly came out and said “I am interesting!”, and this is exactly right. It was a self-conscious attempt to be interesting and provocative, and as such it was pretentious and egotistical and flawed and stunningly beautiful. My feeling is that KZK was an Icarus attempt to capture something Ringo was unworthy as an artist to capture, and SG simply doesn’t aim as high. Insofar as KZK fails to express what it’s hoping to express, I would far rather listen to a failure like KZK than a success like Clandestine. Hubris is essential to SR’s appeal for me, and SG’s one glaring flaw is its lack of it.
I read the whole review and liked the points you made. I found this especially interesting though. While I don't necessarily agree that KSK was a failure, except commercially in comparison to MM and SS, I really enjoy seeing different views about the album because it's fun to interpret. My feeling with KSK is that it is riddled with ambiguity. Its expression is that there is no expression. There isn't any right answer to interpreting KSK and that's why some teacher trying to teach a History of Rock course at a local community college can't tell you what it's all about (though the fact that he probably wouldn't be able to understand Japanese might also be a factor) like he would be able to about Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". KSK may have similar themes: death, symmetry, life with its monotony and beauty, anxiety, and even lust. However, Ringo has never said explicitly what message the album is supposed to convey to the listener. I'm actually curious about what you feel she was trying to express and how she didn't quite make it.

About Sanmon Gossip needing another Stoicism, I would have to say I agree. I honestly think Bonsai Hada is the closest thing to Stoicism just because it's so sonically different and experimental in comparison to anything else on the album. But something quirky and definitely Ringo would have been really nice to have.

@ papilionidae: Wow! That was really fast! Today I learned that Mummy-D can't dance! Kind of a meh PV though. Ringo walking on a catwalk with TVs on the walls? Okay, I guess. HZM seriously should have been in there. And who was playing guitar anyway?
Old 2009.07.06, 12:29 AM   #523
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I liked that video! at least she was in it this time.

Edit: I revoke my initial excitement for the video. I couldn't even sit through it a second time.

Besides I was tired at the time so my judgment was clouded.

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2009.07.06 at 05:49 AM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.06, 12:29 AM   #524
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Maboroshi is Mummy-D as MC/rap and Takeuchi Tomoyasu on guitar, that is their unit. Hayari features Mummy-D on rap and Takeuchi Tomoyasu on guitar, so they both make appearances in the video. Hayari is the only track to feature guest guitar by Takeuchi Tomoyasu.

Since Maboroshi *is* these two, this song is essentially Ringo writing and performing with Maboroshi, arranged by HZM. Kind of a nutty crazy combo, but one that works.

I think KZK is the ultimately over analyzed album of Japanese pop. It is what it is, calling it egotistical and an Icarus attempt and all these things is going a bit beyond whereI want to venture. The album, if anything, was Ringo just fucking around on her own in her house and letting her imagination go wild. I think the entire process was extremely organic and home grown and the idea of describing the album as something so amazingly thought out and intricate doesn't strike me as the possible answer. The production seems so complex and intricate, but it was really a matter of a few people doing many roles. In some ways, I think Ringo created KZK without the original intention of creating an album as it is. She probably just started with sketches and let them go wild. I think moreso than SS or even MM, KZK was Ringo just fucking around making music. I think it is when she tries too hard and is under too much influence by other arrangers and musicians that we end up with HF and Variety.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.07.06 at 12:36 AM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.06, 12:39 AM   #525
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by papilionidae View Post
Thanks for posting! I think I didn't like it :\... It is so boring!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.06, 12:59 AM   #526
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I like this PV I think. at first I was a bit bored by the lack of variety and content, but I think it fits with Shun and it suits the song. Considering the lyrical content and main message of the song, having a catwalk surmounted by images of Ringo and her band makes sense. I can't help but feel we have watched Ringo strut down this walkway with the handheld mic before, but her dress is just so awesome and the video overall looks so slick and polished. I hope they have equally as impressive sets for the rest of the PV's, Shun looked pretty low-key but this set looked like money.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.06, 01:11 AM   #527
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Not to be rude, or you know, superficial, but she looks plastic in that video.

Also, it reminds me of the Dynamite PV for some reason.

And seeing Mummy D offends me.

There's just something faintly embarrassing about that video.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.07.06 at 01:15 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.06, 01:24 AM   #528
papilionidae

papilionidae deserves a fucking medal

I have no problem with Shiina Ringo or Mummy-D. BUT!

Where is my HZM???????

WHERE IS MY HZM??????

W-H-E-R-E I-S M-Y H-Z-M??????
Old 2009.07.06, 03:41 AM   #529
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by papilionidae View Post
I have no problem with Shiina Ringo or Mummy-D. BUT!

Where is my HZM???????

WHERE IS MY HZM??????

W-H-E-R-E I-S M-Y H-Z-M??????
Can't you see him? He's the toumei ningen playing the piano .
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.06, 06:29 AM   #530
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

*.* i like it

specially the english chorus part!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote