Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.09.20, 06:17 PM   #7061
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
I don't even
Jun Togawa - Rawhide
Lol love it, so fucking weird :-p
I dunno whats stranger- that or the PV. The choice of song to cover is also very strange.

Have you heard her cover of Patti Smith's Because the Night?

Not so much a cover, but a pure destruction.

Jun Togawa- Because the Night

I'll also add in this cause it's awesomeness, what Dresden Dolls could be but never quite reach the intensity (and I really like the Dresden Dolls)

Jun Togawa- Open the Door

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.09.20 at 06:44 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.20, 10:16 PM   #7062
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

listening to Night of Hunters (finally!!!)

I'm hesitant to write first impressions because much like all new music, it is hard to predict what will stand the test of time.

all I can say is that I was blown away on the first listen, this is the work that has been latent for most of her career. I was surprised by how much I enjoy Tash's contribution to the album, especially considering I wasn't a huge fan of her on Midwinter's Graces, but her voice has grown quite a bit and she is very well produced.

I'd recommend this album to anyone who has an interest in classical music. It is quite astounding to think what a technical achievement this was, linking some 400 years of classical music through one narrative and song cycle that feels this seamless, it's insane.

deadgrandma, how did it fare for you with time?

Tori Amos - Seven Sisters
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.21, 03:00 AM   #7063
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I feel the same way about it as justriingo feels about daihakken :-p

I think I wrote something before... I still stand by the 3/10 I'd give it, I've tried and tried to get into it, but I find it such a snoozefest and feel exhausted by the end. I'm not saying there's no talent, that would be an horseshit statement- but I have no interest in classical music, let alone the desire to hear a 70 minute album of it.

I have listened to it about 8 times all the way through, and the 3 goes solely on Fearlessness, because there is one moment where she lets out that voice that I've missed for so many years, and actually sounds exciting.

It's easy troll bait with the amount of Tash (or as I've seen her referred as "THE CHILD") singing on it too.

I'll listen to Mastodon's The Hunter instead :-)

So this year... the top album for me is still Let England Shake

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.09.21 at 05:43 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.21, 07:03 PM   #7064
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I feel the same way about it as justriingo feels about daihakken :-p

I think I wrote something before... I still stand by the 3/10 I'd give it, I've tried and tried to get into it, but I find it such a snoozefest and feel exhausted by the end. I'm not saying there's no talent, that would be an horseshit statement- but I have no interest in classical music, let alone the desire to hear a 70 minute album of it.

I have listened to it about 8 times all the way through, and the 3 goes solely on Fearlessness, because there is one moment where she lets out that voice that I've missed for so many years, and actually sounds exciting.

It's easy troll bait with the amount of Tash (or as I've seen her referred as "THE CHILD") singing on it too.

I'll listen to Mastodon's The Hunter instead :-)

So this year... the top album for me is still Let England Shake
I've seen some people having similar reactions, it makes sense to me. Fortunately I'm very much into this style of composition. There are pieces that take me back to Scarlet's Hidden Treasures and Boys for Pele. I've read many reviews for the album and I remember one person taking offense to the album by calling it sleepy.

I didn't want to like Tash on this...I didn't really care for her on MWG but on all 4 songs she sings she sounds amazing, if I didn't know it was Tori's daughter I wouldn't have questioned it. I think most people don't want to listen to an 11 year old sing, but if your going to have an 11 year old on your classical album you could do a LOT worse. Job's Coffin is a highlight for the majority of the critics who've reviewed it, fans too, and that song is like 98 Tash.

Which part of Fearlessness do you mean? The line "Teams of Horses of the Brine follow your voice through the fire. Demons of the wild hissed with the Wind, did you listen?" sounds like old Tori. The end of Edge of the Moon sounds like Under the Pink for sure.

So far I'm really more interested in the instrumentation and the movements of the instruments over the vocals and all my favorite pieces are usually found in the solos. The middle of Star Whisperer and parts of NOH make me go INSANE. good album. So much better than AATS or ADP.
Old 2011.09.21, 07:40 PM   #7065
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

BGM - You

Cavernous Japanese post-punk. Originally from the 1980 LP 'Back Ground Music', released on Vanity Records.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.21, 11:38 PM   #7066
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

I enjoyed that track you posted, kuro. Maybe Tori Amos isn't a complete write-off as I had previously surmised from the handful of listens I've given her.

@dg: Actually not a PV, but from some play she looks to have starred in. Here's more.

Jun Togawa presents - Some bizarre Western-themed stage production
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.22, 12:54 AM   #7067
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Been listening to my audio rip of this concert like crazy. I'm going to freak out when their next tour DVD comes out.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.22, 04:04 AM   #7068
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

@dg: Actually not a PV, but from some play she looks to have starred in.
Theater company Nylon 100°C.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.22, 07:38 AM   #7069
kuro_neko

I enjoyed that track you posted, kuro. Maybe Tori Amos isn't a complete write-off as I had previously surmised from the handful of listens I've given her.

@dg: Actually not a PV, but from some play she looks to have starred in. Here's more.

Jun Togawa presents - Some bizarre Western-themed stage production
tori is a pretty brilliant pianist and I think what makes or breaks her music for her people is the addition of her lyric, perspective, and voice.

lately my favorite track has been this one, I Can't See New York. She copyrighted it with the Library of Congress in May 2001, four months ahead of Sept 11. The lyrics concern themselves with a women aboard a plane in New York who witnesses a companion plane explode mid-air. Creepy shit. The bass way down deep on the keys and the undercurrent does it for me EVERY TIME.

Tori Amos - I Can't See New York
Old 2011.09.22, 10:37 AM   #7070
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

holy shit Brown Eyed Girls killed it again for me with this new single
they are doing it right, love their vocalizations, done so right

beg - sixth sense
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote