Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.06.14, 08:19 AM   #31
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think the youtube link disappeared.

Original singer is Rosemary Clooney, and the song is called Mangoes (if I'm not mistaken).
Old 2007.06.14, 12:03 PM   #32
Ananda

Ananda pleased at least somebody

Actually it's Mangos
Old 2007.06.14, 06:05 PM   #33
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Oh bloody hell did I just type mangoes?
*smacks head*
Old 2007.06.14, 07:36 PM   #34
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Hehehhe, I wouldn't have known I mistyped 'mangoes.' o_o;; But, I never knew there was a performance of Rosemary Clooney singing this song! ;_; Ah, dang it...
Old 2007.06.14, 11:15 PM   #35
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Heeheeheehee!! Haahaahaahaa! Heeheehee!

That's the song... with a giggling lady in the background. Her laugh... makes me want to die...
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.14, 01:21 PM   #36
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

After letting out the secret that I only ever heard HF but once, a few prodded me for a take 2. So after much procrastination, I moved it from the dregs on my laptop to my real pc so, wat the hey, TJ's re-listen re-evaluation! (go here if you want to see a FAAR more positive look on the album at the hands of me)

Gamble: Wow, I was initially really high on this song, time did not stand so well >_< How could I ever have said this was 'the' version of Gamble?? I slap the Jihad of earlier this year. The orchestration here kills the guts of the song.

Kuki: I dont think the BX version of this song was even as slow, dull and boring.

Sakuran: Better than the previous two..if that says anything. I know theres a better version of this song, but i forget which. ("Theres a better ver of this song on another disc" must be english for "Heisei Fuuzoku")

Hatsukoi Shoujo: Wow, I remember this song well after only one listen months ago. At least that is impressive. I spoke highly of this song before, and I'll continue. If this were on say Adult, this would be a standout track because it would be like a more crafted and serious "Stocism." Unfortunately... It got caught up with the bad crowd.

Papaya Mango: Ok. You dont expect me to suddenly proclaim how stunning a song this is. so...I'd hate to surprise you...Saved for a b-side or UM mach 2, would be more forgivable. Or maybe this is UM mach 2, shes covering herself? :shrug:

Ishiki: See, i dont think these songs translated well from live to studio. Maybe thats the problem. Of course, they weren't that entertaining live...

Yokushitsu: If you know me, theres no single song thats more overrated in my opinion than the Yokushitsu-franchise. However, in the scope if this disc, its actually pretty noteworthy. Sure, id take the SS ver any day (if my back was against the wall...) but for this little world of HF, its not bad <=Q Ok, Ill pull back on some of my cynicism, its a little entertaining. Does she change the words to "eat my appetite" ?

Meisai: Meisai, i dunno. I hate to cut this song that bad, cuz deep down, its a good song. Like a loveable pup that was abused and neglected so now its a gnarly, mangy, mean bugger. Speaking of gnarly, not one of Shiina's more flawless performances, exactly...

Poltergeist: I still wonder whether this was actually re-recorded or if they just dug up the tapes, added some chorus to the vox and called it a day.

Karisome Otome: At least its not Death Jazz. Sorta sounds like a ruski kinda hebrew-y kinda song. i dunno. this ones not so hateworthy....

Oiran: ...This one however. It coulda worked. i said the same before, it was heading the right direction, but on the wrong path -- yet was sorta near the right path. But ultimately, the song, and we, wind up nowhere.If nothing else, I actually like the drum machine and would like to hear more (not saying death to Hata, just some songs could do well without) The little snap at the end is abysmal, though.

Yume no Ato: Must I really?

Kono yo Ni Kagiri: Nicest song on the album. Woulda been fun as a one-off single (ala Mayonaka), however, we got the rest of this album to sully the period. Imagine if there was a whole album done Mayonaka-style. I'd imagine Maou and justin and I and others would look less fondly at that song.

"Oh, are we done?" out of 10. =P

best tracks: KYNK, Hatsukoi, and Sakuran. (Tack on Karisome just for fun, and skip the rest.)

EDIT: When I get around to putting this on my mp3 player, i have a feeling I'll have an HF EP, rather than an entire album: Hatsukoi, Sakuran, Karisome, Oiran, and KYNK. Just cuz i'm a completest -- yet really really abhor most of these tracks. I think thats a nice little EP right there, and probly all that shoulda been done to begin with.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.07.14 at 01:39 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.14, 06:02 PM   #37
Ani_C

Ani_C pleased at least somebody

To sum it all up, I really enjoy it ^^ It's inspired some ideas in me :3 And Konoyo ni Kagiri, at first when I heard it and saw the PV I was like O.O WHAT THE F---! But when I decided to hear the album and so on, I became hooked, the whole happy feel to it gets me everytime. It's a really beautiful way to end it.
Ani_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.16, 07:59 AM   #38
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
After letting out the secret that I only ever heard HF but once, a few prodded me for a take 2. So after much procrastination, I moved it from the dregs on my laptop to my real pc so, wat the hey, TJ's re-listen re-evaluation! (go here if you want to see a FAAR more positive look on the album at the hands of me)

Gamble: Wow, I was initially really high on this song, time did not stand so well >_< How could I ever have said this was 'the' version of Gamble?? I slap the Jihad of earlier this year. The orchestration here kills the guts of the song.

Kuki: I dont think the BX version of this song was even as slow, dull and boring.

Sakuran: Better than the previous two..if that says anything. I know theres a better version of this song, but i forget which. ("Theres a better ver of this song on another disc" must be english for "Heisei Fuuzoku")

Hatsukoi Shoujo: Wow, I remember this song well after only one listen months ago. At least that is impressive. I spoke highly of this song before, and I'll continue. If this were on say Adult, this would be a standout track because it would be like a more crafted and serious "Stocism." Unfortunately... It got caught up with the bad crowd.

Papaya Mango: Ok. You dont expect me to suddenly proclaim how stunning a song this is. so...I'd hate to surprise you...Saved for a b-side or UM mach 2, would be more forgivable. Or maybe this is UM mach 2, shes covering herself? :shrug:

Ishiki: See, i dont think these songs translated well from live to studio. Maybe thats the problem. Of course, they weren't that entertaining live...

Yokushitsu: If you know me, theres no single song thats more overrated in my opinion than the Yokushitsu-franchise. However, in the scope if this disc, its actually pretty noteworthy. Sure, id take the SS ver any day (if my back was against the wall...) but for this little world of HF, its not bad <=Q Ok, Ill pull back on some of my cynicism, its a little entertaining. Does she change the words to "eat my appetite" ?

Meisai: Meisai, i dunno. I hate to cut this song that bad, cuz deep down, its a good song. Like a loveable pup that was abused and neglected so now its a gnarly, mangy, mean bugger. Speaking of gnarly, not one of Shiina's more flawless performances, exactly...

Poltergeist: I still wonder whether this was actually re-recorded or if they just dug up the tapes, added some chorus to the vox and called it a day.

Karisome Otome: At least its not Death Jazz. Sorta sounds like a ruski kinda hebrew-y kinda song. i dunno. this ones not so hateworthy....

Oiran: ...This one however. It coulda worked. i said the same before, it was heading the right direction, but on the wrong path -- yet was sorta near the right path. But ultimately, the song, and we, wind up nowhere.If nothing else, I actually like the drum machine and would like to hear more (not saying death to Hata, just some songs could do well without) The little snap at the end is abysmal, though.

Yume no Ato: Must I really?

Kono yo Ni Kagiri: Nicest song on the album. Woulda been fun as a one-off single (ala Mayonaka), however, we got the rest of this album to sully the period. Imagine if there was a whole album done Mayonaka-style. I'd imagine Maou and justin and I and others would look less fondly at that song.

"Oh, are we done?" out of 10. =P

best tracks: KYNK, Hatsukoi, and Sakuran. (Tack on Karisome just for fun, and skip the rest.)

EDIT: When I get around to putting this on my mp3 player, i have a feeling I'll have an HF EP, rather than an entire album: Hatsukoi, Sakuran, Karisome, Oiran, and KYNK. Just cuz i'm a completest -- yet really really abhor most of these tracks. I think thats a nice little EP right there, and probly all that shoulda been done to begin with.
Do you like any orchestrated music? All I get from this is that you don't because you basically took a shot at each song and called it an "evaluation".
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.16, 08:02 AM   #39
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I can like orchestrated music, if theres anything interesting going on.

EDIT: lets go a little further. I can like it if theres one song, maaybe 2, on an album thats more orchestral based. Say Tegami on Adult. So long as the song is good.

HF has a lot more going against than for it. We've heard these songs the proper way before, and they're not even compelling "alt versions" (like say Sid to Hakuchuumu) Hey're not "wild new takes"
Kuki already HAD orchestral instrumentation to begin with in multiple versions! The BX era rendition of Kabuki-Cho, as slow, boring, and bad as it was, at least it was a risky move.

Theres nothing risky at all in any of these takes, except Gamble maybe. And whats worse, its kinda cheesy to put all yer orchestral stuff back to back on one release. Its like one of those commercials you see on late night tv, "Dakota Counting Street band plays the hits of The Animals!" or "Barry Manilow -- remixed!" Its hard to take it seriously, and it really tarnishes the more interesting parts of the disc (the new songs)

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.07.16 at 08:14 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.16, 08:31 AM   #40
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Feel_My_Mind View Post
have a question about papya mango...
papaya mango is a remake of a old song wich appears on a old movie, does anyone knows the name of the song (i think the song has another name) and the name of the singer?
a friend of mine send me a link on youtube, long time ago, with the original version, but i lost it
I can upload the mp3 file for you, if you want .
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote