Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.03.23, 12:41 AM   #11
kamikaze

kamikaze is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by RollOverHobo View Post
So awesome.....right now I'm youtubing Midnight Dejavu and A love song....I'm completely odsessed now...
all the EGO WRAPPIN' albums are pretty good, but my favorite are "~Midnight Dejavu~ 色彩のブルース" and "Night Food."

and if you guys haven't yet, you should check out this Nakano Yoshie and FPM [Fantastic Plastic Machine] collaboration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfXhp5LB8U

and speaking of FPM, man I really love Shibuya-kei, actually I really love Shibuya haha, from the music to the girls, what a great spot in Tokyo.
Old 2008.03.24, 10:54 AM   #12
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Well, Nakano Yoshie's solo album is pretty good, too ^^. If you like EGO, you'll like her ('cause it's mainly the same kind of music and the same voice lol).
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.24, 08:32 PM   #13
kamikaze

yeah it is pretty good, as I already stated that But you are correct, it's pretty much the same sound.

*edit*

actually on further listening, it's kinda different, but still the same voice. I only listened to the album once before and not the whole thing, but now that I've listened to it more, it's actually very different than EGO WRAPPIN'

Last edited by kamikaze : 2008.03.30 at 09:00 AM.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.19, 07:02 PM   #14
lin_hikaru_7

lin_hikaru_7 pleased at least somebody

Oh yay! I was kind of waiting for someone to mention ego-wrappin' on this board. I really like, them though I have only been listening to them for a year.

I've always thought of them as a blues/swing/jazz band, thye have a very big band sound, which is always good. It kind of invokes my thoughts of late forties music, almost.

Does anyone know of a good fansite? The only one I have found in English has been pretty closed down and only has a partial discog listing.. They are kind of obscure, so I'm happy other people here like them.

My favorite tracks are 'Kuchibashi ni Cherry', 'The Ruling Class', '(I love the sound of) Breaking Glass', 'Mr. Richman', 'rendezvous under the moonlight' and 'Nora Neko no Theme', off the top of my head. Thank goodness for Pistol Opera, or else I would have heard of them.

As for Soleil, Nakano's solo album I had a little bit of trouble getting into it at first, but it's good. Kinda upbeat Feelin' Groovy vibe, maybe.
Old 2008.04.25, 11:10 PM   #15
kamikaze

Originally Posted by lin_hikaru_7 View Post
As for Soleil, Nakano's solo album I had a little bit of trouble getting into it at first, but it's good. Kinda upbeat Feelin' Groovy vibe, maybe.
I did too, but the more I listen to it, the more I began to like it. It really has like a chill feel to it. I think it's very different than EGO WRAPPIN' stuff. Definately has a more feminine feel to it.
Old 2008.04.26, 11:43 AM   #16
lin_hikaru_7

lin_hikaru_7 pleased at least somebody

Yeah, I can see/hear the chill feeling, but when you line it up against her collaboration with FPM 'Beautiful Days' it doesn't seem quite as super-chill.

Super-chill. I feel like we're going to start using the term 'super-fly' any moment now.
Old 2008.04.26, 05:43 PM   #17
kamikaze

Originally Posted by lin_hikaru_7 View Post
Yeah, I can see/hear the chill feeling, but when you line it up against her collaboration with FPM 'Beautiful Days' it doesn't seem quite as super-chill.

Super-chill. I feel like we're going to start using the term 'super-fly' any moment now.
But then again, FPM's style of Shibuya-kei defines the word "chill."
Old 2008.04.30, 02:45 PM   #18
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Sugoi That FPM song's mood was superfly. I really love this thread, I ran into it a couple days ago, but never posted. I do not really like ego wrappin's style of jazz. But Nakano Yoshie's voice is baller! I really like it. But the first video posted, the Nervous Breakdown song. It was cool, but not my style. But the old dog's serenade or whatever, that song kicked ass, it is right up my alley.

Uhm.. my style of jazz is like bebop, I really like bebop, I dislike big-band jazz, not all of it, but most of it (I loved swing girls and it was big band, especially the video game song they played). The best japanese example of the jazz I like would probably be the OP to baccano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJubj_H-lM
I don't think I've heard any bebop or , what I would call, straight ahead jazz from japan. Oh course all of this is excluding the jazz-infused shiina/jihen stuff, which is pretty top notch. HF is my style 100%. But then again I only started listening to j-music in the winter of 06 (like december)

I never heard of the FPM before this thread, but they are so cool, I ended up listening to like 4 songs back when I first looked at this thread. All of them were, for lack of a more accurate term, super-fly. Oh man, I do not know the characteristics of shibuya-kei, but all I know is a good deal of people I like re shibuya-kei artists. I even read the wikipedia article on shibuya-kei when I first discovered cornelius... but I could not tell you if an artist was shibuya kei by listening to them. But it would seem my tastes are very much in line with shibuya-kei. Question is this video american shibuya kei? It is the bird and the bee-again and again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDlEXQaMBpk

Well I will keep my ears up for any ego-wrapping stuff I hear. Oh yea... yoshie is kinda... sexy. But thats an after thought. Her voice is sexy too... kuso! I meant she is a great singer.

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.01, 12:08 AM   #19
kamikaze

You should definately check out Nakano Yoshie's solo album. Here's a link on her website with two sample tracks on her album (just use the player on the page):

http://www.nakanoyoshie.com/discography/index.htm

Also FPM (Fantastic Plastic Machine) is a dude. He's been around the Tokyo music scene for a long time. Really chill groovy music. To me kind of the epitome of Shibuya-kei.

EGO WRAPPIN's Jazz range is pretty wide too. Many of their albums are quite different, ranging from smooth to wild.

Last edited by kamikaze : 2008.05.01 at 08:22 PM.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.01, 03:50 PM   #20
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post

Also FPM (Fantastic Plastic Machine) is a dude. He's been around the Tokyo music scene for a long time. Really chill groovy music. To me kind of the epidemy of Shibuya-kei.

EGO WRAPPIN's Jazz range is pretty wide too. Many of their albums are quite different, ranging from smooth to wild.
Really? one guy? That's quite awesome, I guess the dude with the deep voice? Epitome of shibuya-kei you say? Then I must give it a listen. I heard flipper's guitar before, but it was not my style, but just about everything else I have heard with a shibuya-kei tag is up my alley.

Well then with a band like ego-wrappin, I must give them many more chances, as it might take a while to catch a song I like. In comparison to ymck, in which I know exactly what to expect every time I open a new album. Oh ymck's jazz is ridiculous, I heard one song acoustic... It was mind-boggling the difference in the sound. yokemura is a genius to me... Anyways, I will be checking them out for sure. Ego-wrapping may have some tracks made just for me.

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote