Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.04.02, 03:21 AM   #31
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

both are taken from comic book tattoo. the bottom is a reworked piece, mostly of the cover, with the icon taken from the gold dust entry. the artwork for AATS is actually quite good, various bits have been used in promos and it is all very old hollywood glamor shots with different props and themes. In one she is holding an iguana and in another a magnifying glass. I know the cover seems a bit dull but altogether the overall package seems very luxurious and nice, in a subtle and refined way of course. it seems to compliment the work perfectly.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.02, 04:16 PM   #32
kuro_neko

WtE video upped to yahoo movies:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--208583135
Old 2009.04.03, 02:01 AM   #33
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

lackluster doesn't even being to describe this video!
the videos for first singles like Spark, A Sorta Fairytale and Big Wheel all got me excited about the new album but I can't say the same about this...
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.03, 03:21 AM   #34
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
lackluster doesn't even being to describe this video!
the videos for first singles like Spark, A Sorta Fairytale and Big Wheel all got me excited about the new album but I can't say the same about this...
ROFL. Did you just say the video for "Big Wheel" got you excited for the new album? The ADP era PV's are the worst. They had fan contests to design videos and almost all of those blow the official cut and paste ones out of the water. it looks like her daughter made them...tori was never really a PV kind of person. Her best PV is definitely Spark, that period of her life was really fertile in terms of creative relationships I think.

I'm not sure how I feel about this video. there are a couple points I should bring up. Firstly, this isn't a "music video," despite it being released as such. It is the visualette for WtE. Tori has stated that these visualettes accompany each song as a "silent movie" and that they really came from filming ADP tour footage, they put montages together and she had the music turned down and all sorts of new ideas came to her, so she wrote a bunch of music, then went back and filmed some new footage to supplement what they had. So it is inevitable that we will have a mixture of ADP era footage interspersed here (like isobel on the eye, tori in the american flag jumpsuit, this was all probably filmed for the ADP Road Chronicles DVD tori was talking about working on).

I was personally hoping for 3 minute silent films, kind of illustrating each song. this video works and it doesn't in some ways. if tori stopped posing and bouncing around in haute coutre and actually played a role it would have been fantastic. can you imagine if she walked off the pier into the river? or better yet, if she shed the american jumpsuit to bathe in the Thames?

some of the visuals are really stunning, Tori looks a bit dead though, kind of vacant. but if you consider the song and the video it fits really well. it starts with tori arriving in england and feeling alienated as an outsider (you see her walking around wrapped protectively in her cloak, she approaches the statues/buildings but reaches a lock), then you see her shed the cloak to revel a warriors outfit and you see her don her american flag jumpsuit (oh, the ADP jumpsuits....) as she traverses various england landmarks while isobel watches on as she gradually is engulfed in the crowd until she all but disappears.

if you read the lyrics you can kind of see the song is about her relationshiop with her husband mark and her transition to england, the cultural alienation and feelings of insecurity, having one foot in each pond and getting used to life in a different land. in those aspects the video works. it is very similar to the SW LE dvd videos for SW and GD. did anyone see those? they are both on youtube, the one for Gold Dust is AMAZING. I like the style, it is more about atmosphere and closer to photography and still images than an actual music video is, which is nice.

I think this is probably the best video we have had since Scarlet's Walk (the videos from TBK and ADP were horrid) but I am holding out for some better visuals on the other visualettes. Some leaked artwork for promotional materials on the label's photobucket account have leaked info that they are going to distribute Maybe California sometime before the release as a "gift to all mothers" so I'm guessing around the start of May....

btw the official lyric for every song except two have been posted on hereinmyhead.com interesting stuff, I just get this whole darker kind of film noir vibe about this project that I'm really digging. I just associate the entire think with dark red crushed velvet.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.04.03 at 03:33 AM.
Old 2009.04.03, 04:20 AM   #35
a_grumble_cake

lol
ok, ok. The first time I watched Big Wheel was also the first time I heard the song and I liked how playful and un-bee keeper it is. It gave me hope for the new album. Now that I think of it, the video itself is pretty lame but STILL way better than this new video. I don't think I watched the other videos from ADP.

BUT... if this is really just a visualette and not an official video then it's fine. I can't say I like it but I wasn't expecting much from the visualettes. Sure, there is symbolism there but that doesn't change the fact that most of it is shaky camera and boring London vacation shots. It seems like a lot of filler between only a few interesting/important shots.

oh and the lyrics for the album- I like them! I get the film noir vibe you were talking and it's pretty cool.
Old 2009.04.03, 06:06 AM   #36
merman

merman is an asset to this community

The other ADP videos were the same, actually I'm not sure if Almost Rosey even has one. But Bouncing Off Clouds was a slideshow as well.
This one, I'm not sure, when they promote the visualettes DVD as "bringing the narrative arc of the album together" I kind of expected something to actually happen and it really didn't... I liked the shot when she was in that weird US flag thing walking on the bridge among normal people, that was a good idea. And Isabel on the London Eye was a nice surprise.
I'll just wait for the whole thing and watch all the visualettes together, then I'll see what the "narrative arc" is and what the significance of this video is, because as it is it doesn't say much to me.
Haven't read the lyrics either, I want to hear them in songs first and not spoil the surprises...
Thanks for posting the link, neko!
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.03, 12:39 PM   #37
kuro_neko

I wanted to wait for the album before I read the lyrics but the rest of the fandom already read them, they are even being posted on her official universal republic page, it is kind of odd. I figured I'd read them once and then let it sit in my mind until the album is released, I probably won't remember it by then anyways.

I don't remember where people are getting this "narrative arc" thing from. The visualettes started off as montages of footage shot during the ADP tour of behind the scenes and on the road stuff. A lot of it was shot without any specific purpose in mind, like statues and roads and cliffs, to use for whatever they might need it for (consider it stock footage). So when the new music came to her they had a lot of material to work with already and then they shoot some more and added it. This video is the official music video for the official first single. but the purpose of the video is the "silent movie" visualette, it will be included on on the dvd along with the other 15 for each song (except mary jane). However, try watching without the music, that was how it was conceived, how it was intended to be made, and how tori and says she thinks of them and wants to present them. However, I doubt, that after funding this all out of her pocket (crazy right? she went indie after ADP and then inked a one off deal with Universal Republic to distribute and release this album only, so all the production and visuals were paid out of her own pocket), they were going to shell out cash to create another seperate video when they had a video already for each song technically.

btw, did you guys hear curtain call and lady in blue?
Old 2009.04.05, 03:05 AM   #38
a_grumble_cake

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
btw, did you guys hear curtain call and lady in blue?
The studio version? no...

it's hilarious that youtube is swamped with armature covers when the songs aren't even officially released yet!
Old 2009.04.05, 03:12 AM   #39
kuro_neko

I meant the live versions...the ones from SXSW? she played those and mary jane there.....
Old 2009.04.05, 04:22 AM   #40
merman

merman is an asset to this community

I didn't, the sound quality seemed to be a bit crappy on the videos, so I decided to wait until the album. That, and she only played the piano there, I prefer to first hear the fully produced version, how they're supposed to sound, and after that listen to various live renditions. So I'll probably watch them in May... do they sound promising?
merman is offline   Reply With Quote