Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.06.13, 01:44 PM   #1
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts
Default Rasputina

Anyone?

I've been on a huge kick lately, been spinning Lost and Found Second Edition like CRAZY.

for the uninitiated, here is the only actual PV Rasputina ever created, along with another edit (which I prefer).

The Olde Headboard (Weathered Mix)

The Olde Headboard
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.13, 04:09 PM   #2
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Anyone? Well, I'm anyone, but not the perfect someone. I had friends who were friends with them 10 years ago. Found their music intriguing, but not compelling. NYC downtown art world malaise on my part, perhaps. Sounds better now. They are certainly talented and deserve fans.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.06.13 at 04:18 PM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.13, 04:29 PM   #3
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I LOVE their cover of barracuda

barracuda-rasputina

Rasputina is very nice. I say "is" and not "are" because Rasputina is admittedly Melora Creager. Over the years she has various second and third chair cellists and drummers, but the creator and brains behind it all is Melora. She even admits to lying about who plays on the albums so she doesn't feel so lonely lol, she actually made up a second chair cellist as created on one album cuz she didn't want to admit the entire album was herself. As such, she is very nice. Recently she has taken to posting on her own website's forum, interacting with the fans. I recently sent the merch shop on the site an e-mail and got an answer straight back from her. I've also been to their live shows and its hard to not interact with them when they play at tiny dives where the toilet is located through the green room. I also have this weird history of constantly choosing the same restaurant as them to eat at before the shows. I almost always get seated right next to them, kind of makes talking about the forthcoming show a little awkward, XD. She is very fun to talk with though. Recently has she has been releasing self published limited runs of various live recordings made at her house, artwork by her and her daughter. exclusive stuff. fortunately I got one of The Willow Tree Tryptichs before they sold out (limited run of 100).

their music all over the place, I like their mixture of Southern soul and hymns with cello rock. there is this care to aesthetic and history that is all but absent in all other music I've listened to. I really dig it

here is another of my favorites, live

Secret Message-Rasputina (live)
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.13, 07:43 PM   #4
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Nice to revisit her music. I enjoyed it! Thanks.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote