Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.06.30, 12:56 AM   #1
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts
Default St. Vincent

why don't we give a thread to St. Vincent!!! I'm happy to share my name with her.

does anyone have a list of the corresponding movies that the songs on Actor were inspired by? Some of them are obvious, but some of them not so...I'm a fairly new St. Vincent fan. In fact, I don't even have her albums yet. I just sit and listen to youtube/myspace/imeem/iTunes clips, etc.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 06:13 AM   #2
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

Let's ask the expert HEDO. He has taken a pic with St Vincent!
Old 2009.06.30, 07:26 AM   #3
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

I love her, too. I am extremely addicted to her two albums, especially to Actor. Her voice sounds so similar to Feist's, which is always a great thing, and some songs of hers remind me of SR's KZK. Listen to "The Strangers", it's so Poltergeist-ish IMO.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 07:37 AM   #4
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
why don't we give a thread to St. Vincent!!! I'm happy to share my name with her.

does anyone have a list of the corresponding movies that the songs on Actor were inspired by? Some of them are obvious, but some of them not so...I'm a fairly new St. Vincent fan. In fact, I don't even have her albums yet. I just sit and listen to youtube/myspace/imeem/iTunes clips, etc.
well, i don't know if all the tracks were inspired by a movie. I don't think they did, though, because some of the stories and the characters seem like she made them up herself, i think it was just the sounds that she made through movie inspiration. she said she had watched movies with the sound off and arranged scores for scenes. the lyrics, though, were not about those scenes. from reading and watching interviews, there are three i know for sure that she was watching: badlands, the wizard of oz, and sleeping beauty. She did say, however, that the words in Marrow were inspired by the tin man in the wizard of oz. that's why she says, "can you reach the spots that need oiling and fixing" and wanting a "spine made up of iron."

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I love her, too. I am extremely addicted to her two albums, especially to Actor. Her voice sounds so similar to Feist's, which is always a great thing, and some songs of hers remind me of SR's KZK. Listen to "The Strangers", it's so Poltergeist-ish IMO.
Ohh, i never felt her voice was too much like feist's, though i've heard the comparison. i'm still not too into feist so i'll have to compare them side by side, but i can see a similarity. i thought she had a pretty unique voice, though, but someone actually told me he couldn't stand her voice because it sounded like any other indie girl @_@! i guess i could see how that could be a first impression, but i felt she had her own style. it's very breathy, for lack of a better term, sometimes it's almost like she's running out of breath to nail some notes (in a good way).

and yea, early on, i used to think of her in connection with Ringo too just because i don't know too many other people that make quirky music that also sounds so serious and epic. i was surprised to find out she was so good at guitar, though! i had not seen a video of her for quite some time after i had the first album and i just assumed it was some guy on it. =).

have you guys seen the acoustic performances of the Actor songs?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 11:38 AM   #5
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by baboo View Post
Let's ask the expert HEDO. He has taken a pic with St Vincent!
I introduced her music to the forum (well most of it)...

All I want to say is that Actor is the album of the year so far. I don't think anything will come close to it in quality. My favorite tracks on it Laughing With a Mouth of Blood, Black Rainbow, and Just the Same but Brand New. Off the top of my head, I believe this is the first album I've listened to that doesn't have a single track that I'd skip. It's all or nothing every time.
Old 2009.06.30, 02:45 PM   #6
HEDOfloe

^ wow i wasn't expecting that. for some reason, i had this feeling that everyone would hate the album. i got a feeling that it was overproduced at times. i think it was because they put up a video of the band rehearsing actor out of work before the actual music video for it came out. so i had been hearing the live version every day and then the studio version sounded so over-done in comparison. i think most of her songs are better live. i wish she'd record an album like that. of course, i loved it all before i heard it live, but it does make me feel that she puts too many bells and whistles some times. or rather, she relies on different things in the arrangements more than the songs themselves. still, watching them live really shows you how strong they are when they are stripped down to band format. (it does help, though, that she actually has the guys playing sax and the woodwinds etc. they're all multi-instrumentalists!)

glad you liked it though. all the critics seem to be raving about it, too. did you watch her performance on letterman? she added a couple of people for that performance.

edit:
oh snap maou, weren't you go to see her in NY, too?

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.06.30 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2009.06.30, 03:53 PM   #7
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I introduced her music to the forum (well most of it)...

All I want to say is that Actor is the album of the year so far. I don't think anything will come close to it in quality. My favorite tracks on it Laughing With a Mouth of Blood, Black Rainbow, and Just the Same but Brand New. Off the top of my head, I believe this is the first album I've listened to that doesn't have a single track that I'd skip. It's all or nothing every time.
Oh, wrong tribute then. . Just that I only talk to HEDO.

Anyway, I'd prefer watching her live than listening to her studio versions. She's so much more charismatic on stage.
Old 2009.06.30, 04:13 PM   #8
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

if she wrote the album while watching scenes from favorite movies and composing music for certain scenes/characters/lines, I would say that the music is inextricably tied to the movies, which is why I want to know where they came from. most artists I know actually make it a point to not listen to any music while recording so as to not accidentally work something in subconsciouly. I think the fact that St. Vincent specifically tried this experiment is very brave and I really like the result.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 08:45 PM   #9
HEDOfloe

^ yea, that's true, but what i was getting it is that they weren't exactly based on the scenes. there's a difference between being inspired by something and basing your work on it. aside from that one i pointed out, i don't think she's mentioned any movies specifically going into a song.

i agree that this was an awesome idea. i'm glad she went through with it. she had originally said it was just a sort of exercise for her because touring for so long, (over a year, i think), didn't give her enough time to think and write. and then she liked how it was going and built an album off of it.

while it's a cool idea, as i said before, i think it could have been much better if it didn't work out that way. she said in one interview that she had written a whole bunch of scores, but they were just accompaniment, and she said she realized "oh, i still have to write songs!" She has also pointed out that it was a backward way of doing things and, while she miraculously made something amazing out of it, i don't think we see the extent to which she might have grown because of it.

also, if you check her page on facebook, you'll see she (or someone working for her) puts up links to articles and any interviews she does online. this is how i learned most of this.

and get the albums already! =P
Old 2009.06.30, 08:49 PM   #10
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I already own the Japanese release of Marry Me (with bonus stuff), plus the LP (which is a disappointingly flimsy little thing).

I'll admit that this collecting would not have at least began, if it weren't for the exposure that St. Vincent has been getting within EMF.

Now, I haven't heard any of St. Vincent's other music yet, and apparently.. I'm really missing out.