Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.09.02, 09:17 PM   #1
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts
Lightbulb Saito Neko

There has been a lot of hateration on Neko-sama the last couple of months (years?) here, so I'd like to take a moment aside to clear his name. While Saito Neko's main collaboration with SR was Heisei Fuuzoku (which I wasn't terribly pleased with as well), he has been popular in Japan for years as a violinist and arranger. I've seen his name pop up unexpectedly on several occasions.
One of the most obscure Neko appearances is from the 1989 soundtrack to the MOTHER 1 video game, directed by the brilliant and quirky Shigesato Itoi (MOTHER is famous to Western gamers as the prequel to the SNES game EarthBound). He is credited as a violinist and string arranger on the track "Fallin' Love, And" (use &fmt=18 for higher quality).
Fallin' Love, And
Since I am a big fan of both SR and the series, finding Neko in the album's liner notes was quite a shock.
But what was perhaps most surprising to me was the fact that he was credited as arranger of Utada's gorgeous ballad "Final Distance", as well as the violinist in the "Interlude" on her album "DEEP RIVER".
I believe EmilScherbe has pointed out other very obscure Neko performances as well.
Any other Neko-sightings to contribute?
Old 2009.09.02, 09:42 PM   #2
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

He's associated with Mother? Win.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.03, 04:57 AM   #3
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Official Site lists countless his arrangement/recording works from mid 80s.

X Japan - Kurenai

Rebecca - Moon

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2009.09.03 at 05:58 AM.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.03, 06:30 AM   #4
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

I read his diary in his website when he and ringo did collaborations. What I remember now is that he had long list of works and he loved Nodame Cantabille.

Old 2009.09.03, 10:29 AM   #5
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

X's Kurenai and a Rebecca song. I don't believe it! :O I like him even more now. <3
It's so weird though, they don't sound nearly as the twangy-violin sound that the Ringo ones have.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.07, 06:54 AM   #6
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Sakamoto Maaya - Saigo no Kajitsu

arrangement, violin, conduct
(also did "Ame ga Furu")

Yuki - 66db

strings arrangement, Saito Neko Quartet

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2009.10.06 at 08:50 PM.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.07, 11:43 AM   #7
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
But what was perhaps most surprising to me was the fact that he was credited as arranger of Utada's gorgeous ballad "Final Distance", as well as the violinist in the "Interlude" on her album "DEEP RIVER".
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.15, 09:38 PM   #8
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

How is utada hikaru more surprising than MOTHER!?! Damn, I gotta give that dude another chance. I dug some of heisei, especially mesai and new songs... cant stand papaya mango though, that song alone made me want to hate him and the songs on HF with him are my lest favorites on the album (not looking at credits, just using my neko-dar). I think I would like him more if he werent influencing ringo because he makes her sound too much like disney and thats not what i listen to her for.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.15, 09:44 PM   #9
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Saito Neko is probably a brilliant guy on his own, but what he did for SR was completely over the top and unnecessary.

MM onaji yoru... *goosebumps*
But Utada Hikaru's final distance is probably one of the best songs in the mainstream realm of music, ever.
Old 2014.03.12, 07:01 PM   #10
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Heh, reading this thread feels so quaint now, because Neko has gone from a one time collaborator to being Ringo's right hand man. And I assume it will be that way until he either dies or retires.