Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.12.26, 07:52 PM   #41
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

And Kareha/Autumn Leaves. But let's not quibble, it was an awesome show!
Old 2015.12.27, 07:29 PM   #42
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Phoenixmgs View Post
Cool, nice to see Yer Blues make it, it's my favorite cover of hers.
Yup, that was your suggestion too, would have passed me by otherwise. It only makes sense to throw in that UK link.

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Nice use of Honnou for the promotional bit, BTW.
My idea, woo. I was hoping people would recognise it and go "hey they play Shiina Ringo on this show, maybe this station has more than just animu junk". Who knows if it's worked.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
You had one job K___

And you forgot Gamble.

:-p
why would I play her best song when I can play two tracks from SUNNY?

I thought about going with Gamble but I didn't want three songs from the Sakuran soundtrack. And I really really like the HF version of Poltergeist.

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
And Kareha/Autumn Leaves. But let's not quibble, it was an awesome show!
Honestly, I can't deal with Ringo's French. Maybe it's because of Papaya Mango. Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

There's a lot of stuff I wanted to include and I've played other Ringo/Jihen (ZCS Yattsuke Shigoto and Kenka Joutou off the top of my head) on the show, and I'll be playing more of her in future, but I wanted to try and strike a balance on Ringo's different styles (which is why I picked an electronic track off Sanmon, cause I already had some jazzy Ringo on the cards). As you can see I ended up basically dedicating the whole hour and a half to her, with the only mostly-unrelated track being the Zazen Boys joint she sings backing vocals on. Pretty pleased with the end result though, it's a pretty good episode of a show I'm very proud of.

Next episode airs on New Years Day if you find yourself without anything else to do at whatever ungodly hour it is in your respective timezones. Also if any of you've got any requests or recommendations then feel free to let me know, I'm already starting to buckle under the amount of research I'm doing.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.27, 11:17 PM   #43
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by K__ View Post
My idea, woo. I was hoping people would recognise it and go "hey they play Shiina Ringo on this show, maybe this station has more than just animu junk". Who knows if it's worked.
It definitely adds a certain amount of class. But more than that, somehow that particular bit from Honnou just really worked there.

Honestly, I can't deal with Ringo's French. Maybe it's because of Papaya Mango.
Yeah, even I can hear that her French sucks ("soleiL"), and I don't actually know any French. But still, that deep, rich voice just gives me a chill every time.

There's a lot of stuff I wanted to include and I've played other Ringo/Jihen (ZCS Yattsuke Shigoto and Kenka Joutou off the top of my head) on the show, and I'll be playing more of her in future, but I wanted to try and strike a balance on Ringo's different styles (which is why I picked an electronic track off Sanmon, cause I already had some jazzy Ringo on the cards). As you can see I ended up basically dedicating the whole hour and a half to her, with the only mostly-unrelated track being the Zazen Boys joint she sings backing vocals on. Pretty pleased with the end result though, it's a pretty good episode of a show I'm very proud of.
Thank you for giving her the whole 90 minutes; she truly deserves it. The thing about Ringo is that you just can't reduce the entirety of her to a handful of songs. You're always going to be leaving something out. There's really no "right" answer as to what songs you should play in that kind of format.
Old 2016.01.05, 08:10 PM   #44
K__

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
Nothing is more alternative than Ringo attempting to channel some kind of inner Beyoncé with a man in alien sunglasses, hakama, and a perm!! Nothing!!!

ETA I'll follow the twitter and sign up for updates, because time zone differences are hard.

Sorry for bumping this redundant-ass thread but it turns out we already played stuff by Super Butter Dog, of which Rekishi is a member. I didn't know he was in the group at the time so I guess he belongs on the show after all. :D
Old 2016.02.04, 12:04 PM   #45
K__

last time I'll bump this but we're on Mixcloud now, so if anyone wanted to listen to the show, it's on here.

https://www.mixcloud.com/JapanAlternativeSessions/

episode 7 is the Ringo one.
Old 2016.02.12, 09:34 AM   #46
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Unavailable in my country due to licensing restrictions :/
Old 2016.02.12, 10:32 AM   #47
K__

Oh. Anyone else getting that?
Old 2016.02.13, 06:36 AM   #48
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Oh. Anyone else getting that?
Yeah :/

Just that episode, too. Wish I still had a VPN.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.20, 01:01 AM   #49
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

Bit late to the party, but I've just listened to the whole radio show and I enjoyed it - thanks! I learnt quite a few facts about these songs that I didn't previously know.

Curiously none of the songs you played would make my top 10 or maybe even 20, but that's not to say they weren't a good collection - they're all quality songs - it's more of a testament to the breadth of her style and discography. Whittling down a 15 year [so far] career of such a diverse artist to 20 songs, an unenviable task. I just don't think I could do it, I'd get stuck in an infinite loop of "oh and what about..." and "but what about the live version of..?"

I agreed with the points you made about Honnou being a quintisential Ringo song. When I tell Japanese people I am a Ringo fan many say "Honnou!", even some who would have been ~10 years old when that song came out.
zee is offline   Reply With Quote