Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2016.02.23, 04:36 PM   #21
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Ah, gotcha.
Old 2016.02.23, 04:37 PM   #22
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I don't really want to say what I think until I sit down and watch it in the right mood. It's unfair to judge it when I'm just not feeling this kind of show right now. It's certainly less stripped back than Expo and it's a bit more rocky in sound... but yeah... not the right time to really make any formal decision.

I think it's OK, OK?

(The guitar work is noticeably sloppy even to a non-guitar player on some of the songs though, Maou won't be happy ;-p)
Old 2016.02.23, 06:56 PM   #23
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

haven't watched all of it yet and I probably won't (setlist is okay but nothing I'm desperate to see) but Ringo's absolutely on form. The vocals aren't quite what they were in 2000 but her stage presence and charisma, along with the outfits and visuals are all on point, and she just sells her current persona so well. MANGARAMA are mostly solid but I know it's against the rules to say nice things about Ukigumo on here.

Also it's great that she's still playing these 30-track-long shows. She could get away with a lot less.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.23, 08:10 PM   #24
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Someone got the English lyrics of Togatta Teguchi... was like WTF IS SHE SAYING. I like the arrangement quite a bit though.
Old 2016.02.23, 08:33 PM   #25
zeroryouko
Ringophile

So, as it turns out, I'm finally getting a chance to watch this now. Yay!

Some impressions, which I will continue to update as I watch further:

1. Bonsai Hada - Vocally, this is one of those performances that is just so inimitably Ringo - that almost-but-not quite broken voice that is so amazing and yet so disquieting at the same time. But I feel like she could have taken a bit more time with it; it almost sounds a bit rushed, and some of the impact is lost as a result. The way the audio is recorded also seems to take a lot of the depth out of the performance in general.

2. Yasashii Tetsugaku - It's nice, and Ringo sounds nice, but it's not an incredibly exciting performance. Then again, this was never the most exciting song (Ringo didn't write it, which might have something to do with it). There's nothing really wrong with her performance here, but it just really feels like she's holding back.

ETA: Or maybe it's the way this whole thing is recorded. The sound seems really flat to me.

3. Irohanihoheto - Ringo's voice is nice and warm here. Definitely digging it. However, while I will concede that I am absolutely not qualified to judge guitar-playing, something seems really...off...about it here.

4. Togatta Teguchi - Also quite good. Were there always English lyrics to this?

5. Roudousha - Ah, there it is. That's the good stuff. Somehow she just makes singing this song feel so effortless...she's having a good time, the band is having a good time, everyone is feeling great. Really liking the brass here too.

6. Hashire wa Number - She's really hitting her groove now. I think I may actually prefer this to the version on Expo 14.

7. Kamisama, Hotokesama - Loved it. I know, I'm not supposed to - it's one of the new songs, and moreover it's the B side to the Coke song - but somehow it suddenly just clicked. And Ringo freaking tore it up. Tore. It. Up.

8. Genjitsu ni Oite/Genjitsu o Warau - This was also an excellent performance with lots of terrific detail in her voice. It wasn't quite Dynamite Out, but it was definitely right up there. Mixing this to make her voice a bit more prominent would have been helpful.

Also, it sounds to me like she's been practicing her English - with an American. Listen to the way she pronounces "maybe not, not" and compare to her earlier performances (e.g. DO). I applaud her for making the effort, but it's kind of a shame - I always liked her ever-so-slightly British accent.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2016.02.23 at 09:25 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.23, 09:38 PM   #26
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^on yasashii tetsugaku, it may be the audio mixing or it may just be the show they recorded for this, but for the Sendai show that I attended, the transition from the end of track 1 to the opening of YT was GLORIOUS, and the song overall was just a highlight for me.

Overall the sound quality sounds quite weak/thin on this recording. I don't really feel much power from the band apart from her vocals, which is in stark contrast to the show I attended (maybe it's a live vs recording thing? but then I thought Expo '14 sounded great on record...)
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.23, 10:03 PM   #27
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
^on yasashii tetsugaku, it may be the audio mixing or it may just be the show they recorded for this, but for the Sendai show that I attended, the transition from the end of track 1 to the opening of YT was GLORIOUS, and the song overall was just a highlight for me.

Overall the sound quality sounds quite weak/thin on this recording. I don't really feel much power from the band apart from her vocals, which is in stark contrast to the show I attended (maybe it's a live vs recording thing? but then I thought Expo '14 sounded great on record...)
Yes, weak/thin sound is exactly it. Her performance of Yasashii Tetsugaku is good, but it just lacks a certain presence. As I listen to more and more of this concert, I'm really starting to think it's the recording more than anything. Ringo puts on a lot of great performances, but somehow the recording just doesn't do her justice.

Continuing the above:

9. SG - Superficial Gossip - Really loved this, and it's probably my favorite recording of this song now. It's understated, and yes, even restrained - but in a very purposeful, almost coy way.

10. Netsuai Hakkakuchuu - I just can't get behind the auto-tune (or whatever effect it is) here. It obliterates too much of the juicy part of her voice.

11. Torikoshi Kurou - Now, this was awesome. Ringo sounds, IMO, as good as ever, and the acoustic guitar is pure gold. It almost comes as a shock after Netsuai Hakkakuchuu - I wonder if putting that beforehand was done just to create this effect. If I have a complaint about this - if - it's that I really would have loved to see Ringo do the whole thing with just the acoustic guitar.
Old 2016.02.23, 10:51 PM   #28
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

That's a shame about the audio recording. I'm not an audiophile either. But I regularly listen to audio rips of concerts (more than I actually watch them) and this will probably get to me

Thanks for the impressions anyway. And zeroryouko -- it's great that Roudousha and Genjitsu are good. I'm looking forward to those songs the most.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.24, 12:55 AM   #29
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Where can I watch it streamed or not 15GB?
Old 2016.02.24, 02:24 AM   #30
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by zordon View Post
meh can't afford 15GB on jps, any alternative links available?
If any JPS members need some bonus points to cover the download, just PM me there.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote