Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.11.04, 07:02 PM   #51
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Well, Yokushitsu and Oiran are different types of electronic styles. Not all electronic music is the same. I now Tsumiki Asobi (Zazen Ver.) is considered electroclash, but I'm not sure what the others would be classified as.
An "Electronic Album" is no different from an "Alt Rock Album" (ie Shouso Strip) in the sense that there can be a huge amount of variance within the style.
And Ringo didn't compose Oiran.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.04, 07:41 PM   #52
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

am the only one who really didn't like maru chiten kara on SG? probably my least favorite track off that album.

the songs she did for kabuki? gold.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.04, 08:10 PM   #53
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Well, Yokushitsu and Oiran are different types of electronic styles. Not all electronic music is the same. I now Tsumiki Asobi (Zazen Ver.) is considered electroclash, but I'm not sure what the others would be classified as.
An "Electronic Album" is no different from an "Alt Rock Album" (ie Shouso Strip) in the sense that there can be a huge amount of variance within the style.
And Ringo didn't compose Oiran.
I guess. And I forgot that she didn't write Oiran. She only translated the lyrics (and she did a wonderful job in my opinion). Wasn't it Uki who composed it? He did a damn good job.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.04, 08:28 PM   #54
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
the songs she did for kabuki? gold.
What song is that?

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Well, Yokushitsu and Oiran are different types of electronic styles.
That reinforces the idea of an electronic album, because she has proven she can be versatile enough even in that genre.

Oh, and I have to say that Ukigumo's guitar-playing on Carnation at 1:06 is beyond impressive. Such feeling, such virtuosity.

Well done,
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.04, 08:28 PM   #55
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Oiran and O Chiten Kara are both good stuff. I am actually surprised you didn't like it, Neko (I remembered you've said that before.) I would have thought it was up your alley.

On the flip side, it was one on my fav songs on SG, so I am conversely not surprised you didn't like it. =p
Old 2011.11.04, 09:03 PM   #56
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Kind of liking the second cut, which is up on youtube at the moment. Not really sold on the vocal style, but the setting makes it relatively palatable.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.05, 02:21 AM   #57
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

The 2nd song definitely put a smile on my face when I heard the sax playing. The songs were well-done. The instrumentals were very creative. I definitely heard a hint of Kono yoni kagiri in 人生は思い通り (The song's upbeat is similar to it. but that is only a slight hint, I can relate to others not understanding that.)

But there is something about Ringo's vocals. It's a quite solemn like in ariamaru tomi. It is definitely different.

And bright silver coats areHERESY.

Someone, please, write a note to Ringo that contact lenses are not cool. It just makes your eyes looks scary.

Hata works the percussion like a BOSS.

I miss the old Ringo...
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.05, 04:06 AM   #58
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Maru Chiten Kara was actually my least favorite on SG as well. It just never goes anywhere. Movement is pretty important for me as far as music is concerned. The Ringo Expo-opening version was pretty apropos though.

I'm really surprised by how utterly lackluster this whole release is for me. I'm usually all about me some big-band nu-Shiina. HF and SG are the shit. This just feels... lazy. You know what's a good big-band track? Onna no Ko wa Dare Demo. You know what's an okay pop song with a tacked-on big-band arrangement? Jinsei wa Omoidoori. It reminds me of some '80s/'90s anime OP.

Watashi no Aisuru Hito isn't too bad, I suppose. The keys are nice and the production is on the level. I think my problem problem with is there's no real payoff. You're listening to it, waiting for the chorus, when all of the sudden you realize that was the chorus. And I have no idea where the idea that this is an "electronic" track came from. Filtered vocals/slightly fuzzy bass/random noises does not electronic make.

If this is what album five looks like, count me out. I'd rather a Jihen-style HF. Actually, that'd be awesome.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.05, 08:16 AM   #59
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Wasn't Hatsukoi Shoujo the opener for Expo?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.05, 08:17 AM   #60
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Oh wait, you're totally right. I like that song. Derp.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote