Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.05.23, 07:13 AM   #11
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

A big part of the reason this song has been successful is the "ATARU" show has been a hit. When you have a 17% ratings share that's pretty good.

The song's is a really well-crafted piece of pop/rock, though. All the hooks and things it does well aren't apparent at first listen. There's a call/response between Ringo & the guitar during the chorus the first couple lines that's very cool. Nearly every part of the song flows into the next one

Ringo's vocals are controlled compared to most of her other songs. She's not singing her guts out but it wouldn't fit a song like this. In general, there's little that would be offensive to the listener, but there's still a lot of depth and things going on.

The lyrics seem to be pretty good as well, from what I could gatherthrough Google Translate (the song has nothing to do with autism, FWIW). I was impressed that the 3 English lines actually make sense within the context of the song. It's not just random English that "sounds cool".
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.05.23, 03:56 PM   #12
thefro

http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/05/rec...-for-05160522/

Debuts at #5 on Recochoku Chart (which is apparently one of many companies that offer cell phone downloads)

The whole Japanese Chart scene seems pretty confusing.

We have Oricon, which is just physical singles (fairly straightforward). Of course, this song wasn't released on a CD.

Billboard has a fairly new "Japan Hot 100", which measures a combination of physical sales & radio airplay, but no digital sales. It debuted at #34 on that, fell off to the 90s, and now seems to be on its way back up (#48 last week).

There is the RIAJ chart that comes out on Friday that measures 14 different services (including Recochoku), that are all phone downloads. However, ITunes isn't counted because it's "PC Downloads", despite the IPhone's sizeable market share in Japan. Same with Amazon.
Old 2012.05.25, 02:58 AM   #13
thefro

#7 on RIAJ digital download chart (which doesn't include ITunes)
http://satsuki.musicdb.gr.jp/all_inf...ubmitAction.do

#5 on Billboard Japan Hot 100 (apparently this chart does include ITunes Japan, but not any other digital downloads), #2 on Hot Radio Airplay, #7 on Adult Contempoary Radio Airplay

http://www.billboard-japan.com/

Probably would have been #1-2 on the Hot 100 if they had released a physical single, I think.
Old 2012.06.23, 09:38 PM   #14
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I like this new single, but don't have much to say about it. I can hear how it's partly a return to MM/SS era Ringo, but I also hear things about the melody (maybe), and definitely about the way it's sung, which remind me more of Tokyo Jihen.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.04, 03:59 PM   #15
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I actually appreciate this a lot more. I've heard a lot of people calling it a pop-rock song, and I'm not disputing that, but those screaming guitars are not very pop-rock, right? It's more like Shiina's punk influence is peeking through with the screachiness.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.29, 10:34 PM   #16
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

This song beats all those Kominami Yasuha rockers. Yes or no?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.01, 12:50 PM   #17
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I actually appreciate this a lot more. I've heard a lot of people calling it a pop-rock song, and I'm not disputing that, but those screaming guitars are not very pop-rock, right?
Okay then, pop punk.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.06, 10:34 PM   #18
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Not a big fan of the new single. Maybe it'll grow on me. Melodically, it feels like Atarashii Bunmei-kaika meets Sora ga Nitteiru and I don't really like either of those songs that much. But who knows? Maybe in a year's time I'll be singing its praises. I've only listened to it a couple times. But yeah, first impression is pretty meh.
Old 2013.01.06, 10:50 PM   #19
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The song is so bouncy. Much better than some stuff she did that some boring violin guy.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote