Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.11.06, 06:09 AM   #81
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

This is what I can't stand. We talk about the diversity of Shiina, I use recent examples of diversity, somebody shows old examples of diversity, and then somebody ELSE says "Well she's not diverse now". Uh, yes, SHE IS, and I just gave several examples.

Yes, she is. She's doing swing/big bang in several songs, you can also say she did punk/pop rock in several songs during MM/SS. What's the difference between Tadashii Machi, Koko de Kiss Shite, Honnou, Kyogenshou, and Tsuki ni Makienu in terms of style? They're all pop/punk-rock songs. They certainly aren't different from eachother than Kono Yo and Irokoizata.

Also, LOLOL to saying MaruSadi is like early Utada. As a big Utada fan, MaruSadi is very different to her early songs.
Old 2011.11.06, 06:39 AM   #82
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Being told off by an Utada Hikaru fan is like being mauled by a kitten. I need to start giving this place a miss...

Marunouchi Sadistic is nothing like an Utada Hikaru song, but Utada did use to make very natural sounding R&B-ish pop music, which in the pure genre terms we're using makes it as much like Marusadi* as Honnou is like Tadashii Machi. The marvel is that Ringo used to write all kinds of different sounding songs, with genre being just one dimension of "difference". And then what do you do with the Suberidais of this world that don't specifically have any genre, apart from the old-as-the-hills point that pop musicians have always mixed genres.

The point is not that new SR/TJ don't attempt lots of styles, but they do it in a more g***r*c way, but I didn't want to use that word.

(* or its New Way To Fly demo, which is more like Shanice's "I Love Your Smile")

edit: Why I am I still making posts like this? Who cares anyway. Peace.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.11.06 at 07:30 AM.
Old 2011.11.06, 08:17 AM   #83
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

except the "diversity" she does now is welll... really shit.
sort of like, vision sort of accomplished, but execution fail.

If u draw that on a quadrant (you know, like a proper business analysis), right now SR would be on the bottom left quadrant...

(but i think you need a business degree to understand what I just said.)
Old 2011.11.06, 08:24 AM   #84
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
except the "diversity" she does now is welll... really shit.
sort of like, vision sort of accomplished, but execution fail.
I agree here. It almost sounds like she tries to tackle one genre/sound, isn't quite pleased, so tries again and again. I know people hate when you bring up the Big 3, but there Shiina showed progression musically. I feel like she hasn't grown as an artist in the last four-odd years (although I do dig SG).
Old 2011.11.06, 03:37 PM   #85
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Not fair seeing as the last few years have all been TJ releases and you dig SG which is a solo release. Not a good comparison. If the TJ were solo releases then yes, I'd also be disappointed, but they're not... they're TJ. Which I don't mind. Still rather listen to that than.... Perfume :-p

BANDZ WERK IN DIFFERENT WAI BRAHZ

So poo.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.11.06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2011.11.06, 04:06 PM   #86
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I seem to recall a recent "Tokyo Jihen" A-Side where the band was in the PV just for show, while it was other musicians who did most/all the instrumentation we heard. And to what end? To pump out yet another song which wouldn't disturb anyone in Vegas.

As exemplified by that, the cross-act covers she's been doing ever since Electric Mole, and the guest musician(s) in Adult - I'm not convinced that it makes much difference to Shiina Ringo which stage name she performs under. Meaning, if she won't keep these facets of her career distinctly separate, then we should be able to hold "Tokyo Jihen" to the same standards we hold for "Shiina Ringo". We SHOULD be able to, but if any of us don't, then we're holding onto this illusion that Shiina Ringo takes the "separation" of the acts as seriously as we do.
Old 2011.11.06, 04:18 PM   #87
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You make an interesting point but:

I personally keep TJ and SR apart brah. Though that's probably a lie when I first started out. It's probably a contradiction too cause I count HF as solo but anyway, TJ feel like a different beast.

Perhaps Kyouiku and Adult less so, more Ringo written songs on those. And they're better.

I wonder what Variety would have sounded like if it was written by Phase 1 straight away. Probably woulda made everyone hate Phase 1 as much as they do Phase 2.
Old 2011.11.06, 04:21 PM   #88
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I wonder what Variety would have sounded like if it was written by Phase 1 straight away. Probably woulda made everyone hate Phase 1 as much as they do Phase 2.
Those of us who have heard the subsequent solo-career material from Hirama and HZM, are more optimistic about what a Phase 1 Variety would have turned out like.
Old 2011.11.06, 04:32 PM   #89
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Phase 1 Variety would have been epic.

feelsbadman.jpg
Old 2011.11.06, 04:48 PM   #90
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Not fair seeing as the last few years have all been TJ releases and you dig SG which is a solo release. Not a good comparison. If the TJ were solo releases then yes, I'd also be disappointed, but they're not... they're TJ. Which I don't mind. Still rather listen to that than.... Perfume :-p

BANDZ WERK IN DIFFERENT WAI BRAH

So poo.
Still hating on Perfume, I see...

But yeah, with TJ, she doesn't even write everything, which was actually kind of her goal. She didn't want to deal with the stress of being a solo artist anymore. Half of TJ songs are written by people OTHER than Ringo, so yeah, it's not a fair comparison. SG was, for the most part, a Ringo solo album. I thought it was pretty diverse, and I love it... So yeah.
Closed Thread