Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.09.24, 12:50 PM   #1281
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

It's like we all have different opinions about this, or something.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.24, 01:17 PM   #1282
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Marunouchi Sadistic is a youthful song so there's already a disconnect when a grown woman is singing it, it only works in a nostalgia sort of way. So to also do it in an old "adult" style is too much imo.
Old 2015.09.24, 07:15 PM   #1283
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
I guess I'm not sure what else to call it. To me, it's evocative of a very specific image.

Think of an old movie (film noir?) where the protagonist (let's say he's a P.I.) goes to check out a presumably-mafiaed-up cocktail lounge. He sits down at the bar, chats with the bartender, has a drink, and then the evening's entertainment begins.

There's a young (but not too young, she's no ingenue) woman there singing jazz, accompanied on piano by a world-weary gentleman. She catches our P.I.'s eye, and he hers. After a time, it feels like she's singing only to him (including a song that, while still classy, is also definitely a come-on). They meet afterward, he buys her a drink, they fall for each other, yada yada yada. Later on, he finds out she's got ties to whatever nasty individual he's investigating; he thinks he can save her but just hopes she's not mixed up in "all this." In the end it turns out she's in too deep, and winds up either getting hurt, or double-crossing him.

That's what Ringo sounds like, to me anyway.
This sounds like a better description for Maron Hamada honestly :-p
Old 2015.09.24, 08:44 PM   #1284
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
This sounds like a better description for Maron Hamada honestly :-p
It *is* a good description for Maron Hamada. Also, thank you for introducing me to Maron Hamada.
Old 2015.09.25, 10:57 AM   #1285
fernan1234

fernan1234 pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by mrnarse View Post
Here's the video. Funny how whenever she's on Music Station she's always hanging out with aiko or Ken Hirai, or both of em

Edit: If it looks like they zoomed in too much on the video, it seems whoever recorded it cut off the parts of the screen with lyrics and titles on it (pretty much all sides).
Anyone got a mirror? This one died.
fernan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.25, 11:10 AM   #1286
Slowdive

Slowdive has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by fernan1234 View Post
Anyone got a mirror? This one died.
Here you go:

Slowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.25, 05:27 PM   #1287
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I managed to get tickets in the general sale (A MIRACLE) for the Kanagawa show. It's the 3rd floor, so very far from the stage, but hey, it's sale price so that beats 20,000 yen a pop. I haven't heard back yet but I think Nimh will want to go with me.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.25, 05:54 PM   #1288
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Better than nothing!

And you know you can just buy the DVD later anyway if the seats are really terrible (though I'm sure it will be fine) :-p
Old 2015.09.25, 06:17 PM   #1289
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Haha yeah. I had been thinking I really didn't want to pay 15,000-20,000 yen, so I was maybe going to sit these shows out and wait for the next round of shows (when I can actually remember to enter the fanclub lottery), so getting to go and only pay ~9000 yen is much better, even if the seats suck. I have binoculars... haha. Plus, these halls aren't that big, which is why tickets have been so hard to get.

Also, about the interview... I think we should remember it's an English translation of a Chinese translation (the interview would have been conducted in Japanese and translated to Chinese either at the time or later). So some things might have been lost in the two translations. I don't think it's that bad of her to just say "I consider songwriting my job, including writing for other people." It doesn't necessarily mean she's only about making money and has no passion or heart nowadays. And she even said "I said that once? How arrogant of me" which is to me a nonoffensive attitude. I don't see what's wrong with her treating music as her job and not her passion. I do agree though that it's very much like she's phoning things in nowadays and turning in very polished works, almost too polished, including her live shows. She's just become a different person than the rebellious teenager she used to be.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.27, 07:18 PM   #1290
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ I kind of agree with that assessment of her interview. It feels like if anything, age has given her a stronger sense of self-awareness and humour.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote