Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.08.18, 08:03 PM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default Overlooked Gems.

Ok, the purpose of this thread... I thought it would be interesting to write a quick summary/recommendation of particular album(s) that you have come across over the years that should get more recognition than they get. Please think long and hard before posting, I know it's easy to get carried away on threads like this.

I'll start with one you might not have seen coming:

Roisin Murphy- Ruby Blue (2005)

The words 'forward thinking' get thrown around A LOT these days, particularly when it comes to EDM music. But here's one that truly deserves those words attached, Moloko vocalist Roisin Murphy's solo album...

I spent many many hours that summer when this landed playing this album over and over- a fair change up from the usual Tool or Meshuggah that I'd blast my parent's faces off with. At first it was the singles that hit me, particularly the insanely catchy and meticulously constructed Sow Into You:

Sow Into You

It's sexy beat, delicate vocals and jazzy instrumentation were very fresh to me at the time and was what got me interested to start with. It was then that I bought the album and realised how amazing the entire package was. From its minimalistic yet highly complex opener, Leaving the City, to its canival-inspired "Night of the Dancing Flame", the album constantly challenges it's listeners to be as forward thinking as it is, but without being too alienating to newbies. Through Time and Dear Diary are extremely beautiful and the closest sounding tracks to Moloko.

The real standout, mainly because it is so different to the rest is the title track Ruby Blue which is almost a rock song. Yet it still has that dancey vibe that the album never lets up on, a testament to how clever ingenuity can make such different genres blend naturally together.

It is then, a shame that Roisin went the safe route with her poppier/harder follow up "Overpowered" which while providing some real Black Cherry/Supernature era Goldfrapp style songs (that I dug), never stood as strong as her debut. I hope that Roisin will eventually go and tap into her experimental side again, if not, at least this great album still exists.

I highly recommend it to anyone with any interest in EDM whatsoever. I still crank it out every now and then (I was lucky to locate the 2LP set recently) and every time think "why was this so overlooked?" Try it out!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.08.18 at 08:08 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.19, 08:57 AM   #2
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Malcolm McLaren - Paris, possibly my favourite album.

Malcolm McLaren - Jazz is Paris

Jane Birkin - Baby Alone in Babylone, very nice French-pop album

Jane Birkin - Baby Lou

The Shocker - Up Your Ass Tray, post-L7 album by Jennifer Finch

The Shocker - Pop Narcotic

Coachwhips - Bangers vs. Fuckers, loud garage rock

Coachwhips - you gonna get it

Umlaut - Umlaut, lost Mr. Bungle album

Umlaut-Featuring Mike Patton Atlas Face
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.19, 10:38 AM   #3
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Roisin Murphy - Ruby Blue (2005)
I've been listening to a couple songs from this on repeat recently. I've had it stored somewhere for a long time, but I rediscovered it only recently. I remember "Ruby Blue" being used as theme song to a popular show here, so it might have got quite a few spins on the radio too. Matthew Herbert is a genius. And yeah "Through Time" and "Dear Diary" are indeed very beautiful, not to say extremely catchy - but I have a soft spot for the closing track.

Roisin Murphy - The Closing of the Doors

It puts me in a good mood.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
It is then, a shame that Roisin went the safe route with her poppier/harder follow up "Overpowered" which while providing some real Black Cherry/Supernature era Goldfrapp style songs (that I dug), never stood as strong as her debut. I hope that Roisin will eventually go and tap into her experimental side again, if not, at least this great album still exists.
Was thinking the exact same things earlier today. Her recent club-friendly outputs may have their appeal but I still do miss the old Roisin.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.28, 04:55 PM   #4
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The Tammys - Egyptian Shumba
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote