Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2016.03.22, 10:32 AM   #61
chapter

chapter pleased at least somebody

It turns out that this is the concert I attended in November! It's probably the Saturday concert (I went Friday) because her nurse hat fell off during Netsuai Hakkakuchu, which didn't happen in the broadcast.

Watched the broadcast last night and it was great to relive it. I'll never get used to how quiet and calm Japanese audiences are, of course, but the recording doesn't capture at all the energy of the venue. She closed with Nippon (pre-encore), a song I've never liked much, but since seeing it live it's become one of my favorites. The previously-well-behaved audience went crazy when the screens turned blue and came together to show the flag.

For me it was a very emotional show, finally seeing Ringo live after many many years of loving her.
chapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.22, 07:06 PM   #62
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by chapter View Post
It turns out that this is the concert I attended in November! It's probably the Saturday concert (I went Friday) because her nurse hat fell off during Netsuai Hakkakuchu, which didn't happen in the broadcast.

Watched the broadcast last night and it was great to relive it. I'll never get used to how quiet and calm Japanese audiences are, of course, but the recording doesn't capture at all the energy of the venue. She closed with Nippon (pre-encore), a song I've never liked much, but since seeing it live it's become one of my favorites. The previously-well-behaved audience went crazy when the screens turned blue and came together to show the flag.

For me it was a very emotional show, finally seeing Ringo live after many many years of loving her.
I am so envious! It sounds like it was an awesome experience!
Old 2016.03.25, 12:27 PM   #63
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'm watching it now. Honestly, this was probably incredible live. You can tell there's energy in the band not being captured by the broadcast. We usually say it's the mixing when we're disappointed with the quality of videos we watch. However, I think it starts before the mixing process. With how difficult it can be to hear Nagoshi, Ukigumo and at times HZM, there's gotta be something else wrong. It really sounds like their amps don't have proper mic setups. Like mics from across the stage are recording the sound rather than mics directly in front of the amps. : /

I think it's also help that I turned the volume up 2.5x my normal listening volume for this thing.

Shijou no Jinsei was good. Blackout would have been great if not for the poor brass section. These brass instruments being forced into the older songs just doesn't work.

Last edited by Maou : 2016.03.25 at 12:54 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.25, 04:54 PM   #64
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'm watching it now. Honestly, this was probably incredible live. You can tell there's energy in the band not being captured by the broadcast.
I spent the better part of the second half of last year hoping this tour would be the antidote for 2015's lackluster singles, and I have to say it exceeded all my expectations. I've re-watched it a couple of times now and I just keep liking it more each time. If there were any doubt that she's still got it - and I admit, I was beginning to doubt, just a little - this puts it to rest.

We usually say it's the mixing when we're disappointed with the quality of videos we watch. However, I think it starts before the mixing process. With how difficult it can be to hear Nagoshi, Ukigumo and at times HZM, there's gotta be something else wrong. It really sounds like their amps don't have proper mic setups. Like mics from across the stage are recording the sound rather than mics directly in front of the amps. : /
To me, Ringo was the one who seemed like she was getting lost in the mix. Although maybe everyone was, and Ringo is just the one I was paying most attention to.

Maybe the TV guys brought their own mics rather than patching into the main sound board? I mean, that seems really redundant, but maybe there's some technical reason for it? Or maybe for broadcast they applied some dynamic range compression to it?
Old 2016.03.25, 10:53 PM   #65
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

I've got my hands on the concert too and have watched it a few times.

The first two tracks are fantastic, Bonsai Hada and that wailing trumpet at the end I enjoy. As someone else noted yasahii tetsugaka is much improved. The moment that curtain drops is great.

This might be hard to believe (and controversial) but I think I enjoy the video more than the live. There is the chance to absorb more details I couldn't see from my (level 3) seat and of course at a Shiina concert there are no shortage of details to follow - lighting, costumes, video, projected lyrics etc. The live was 2hrs long and at the end of it I was quite worn out, mentally and I'd forgotten half of the set list by the time I got on the train home.

That's not to say I won't go to a live concert again - of course I'll go to a live concert again!

I am looking forward to this new era of Shiina's work. I know it's different to the previous eras, but that she's back with a new band and a high standard is proof of what a diverse artist she is; never wedded to a particular style and not too stubborn to change her older music. We can always re-live the previous eras with a DVD or CD
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.16, 01:44 AM   #66
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'm watching it now. Honestly, this was probably incredible live. You can tell there's energy in the band not being captured by the broadcast. We usually say it's the mixing when we're disappointed with the quality of videos we watch. However, I think it starts before the mixing process. With how difficult it can be to hear Nagoshi, Ukigumo and at times HZM, there's gotta be something else wrong. It really sounds like their amps don't have proper mic setups. Like mics from across the stage are recording the sound rather than mics directly in front of the amps. : /

I think it's also help that I turned the volume up 2.5x my normal listening volume for this thing.
I did some basic meddling in audacity and it helps a bit for audio rips.

I just want to say, I have so many good things to say about this show that typing my full impressions has become a daunting task -- that's why I haven't said much more than my initial post. I couldn't be any happier with these arrangements and performances, sound quality aside. By the time the coca cola song rolled around I was far too pumped to not enjoy it. I want to say it's one of the best lives she's done, but I'm waiting for time to pass before I do this. What was the name of the tour? Something to do with wizards or magic? Some of the performances actually sound magical (not in a rhetoric sort of way, but I mean, actually sparkle like 'magic'. I think it's the combination of HZM, Nagoshi and Ukigumo's playing styles)

Last edited by Scribble R : 2016.04.16 at 01:50 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.05.03, 02:18 AM   #67
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

I have also listened to it perhaps a dozen times or more too. I am enjoying it more and more too. I really enjoy the extra dimension and depth of the wind instruments especially in tracks like Roudousha, Tsumi to Batsu, and I notice them more than Ukigumo/HZM/etc (but I understand this might not be so popular with everyone).

The tracks I keep coming back to are:
Bonsai Hada and Yasahii Testugaku (I see these as a pair)
Roudousha
Netsuai Hakkakuchuu
Meisai/Tsumi to Batsu
Mayakashi yasaotoko
Omatsurisawagi
oh fuck it, they're all great, even NIPPON!

I certainly need to go and give SG a thorough listening to - I have not paid it enough respect previously.
zee is offline   Reply With Quote