Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.04.24, 03:37 PM   #11
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah its on lyric goo, just search in google.co.jp for maboroshi amai yamai in japanese and it is always the top search. its the top official lyric site.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.24, 09:35 PM   #12
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

ahhh. I love goo, I checked there a week or so ago and nothing. They must have just added it.

ugh fuuuck now I have to translate this stupid title "Maboroshi no Shi" where shi could mean any number of things.

Maybe because of their hands turning into skeletons on the cover, it means death?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.24, 09:47 PM   #13
kuro_neko

it means shi as in 詩, poem isn't the title マボロシの詩? I thought that must be it when I heard the title, although now that I've checked it is in katakana. even if it isn't, I'm like 99.9 percent positive that is what it is referring to. anyone who would hear that in random conversational would immediately think of 詩 first and foremost. the other usages of shi are far less common and quite odd in comparison.

here is my take, their band name is obviously Maboroshi, right? And Shi can mean song, poetry, etc etc. I would translate the album title as Modern Poetry of Maboroshi. one of my entries for shi indicates the usage meaning "modern poetry" and considering their whole genre is rap combined with rnb vocal elements, that seems to make sense. I mean, if you went the extra step to translate their name you would have probably go with something like Phantom, but I wouldn't go that far because it is a proper noun and no one refers to Ringo as Apple, etc etc.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.04.24 at 09:52 PM.
Old 2009.04.24, 09:56 PM   #14
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

What about their hands turning into skeletons and it meaning death? Thats what I'm leaning towards.

I mean it's obviously a pun, like "Ringo no Uta" meaning both "The Apple's Song" and "Ringo's Song," this means both Maboroshi the band and maboroshi as in phantom/illusion. We actually don't know which one they're leaning towards, they could want us to go with "Illusionary Modern Poetry" in addition to "Maboroshi's Modern Poetry." or death or whatever
Old 2009.04.24, 10:08 PM   #15
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
What about their hands turning into skeletons and it meaning death? Thats what I'm leaning towards.

I mean it's obviously a pun, like "Ringo no Uta" meaning both "The Apple's Song" and "Ringo's Song," this means both Maboroshi the band and maboroshi as in phantom/illusion. We actually don't know which one they're leaning towards, they could want us to go with "Illusionary Modern Poetry" in addition to "Maboroshi's Modern Poetry." or death or whatever
your first sentence made me LOL pretty hard, haha. um, well Maboroshi is their name. If you want to get picky it could probably relate to five things:

詩-poem, like I mentioned
師-practioner, if you translate Maboroshi as Phantom or Illusion, that could be translated almost as Lords of Illusion, or Masters of Illusion, which is kind of cool
市-city-Land of Illusions
死-death, Death of Illusions
史-history, History of Illusion etc

but out of all of those if you just walked up to 10 japanese people on the street and asked, if they were aware that Maboroshi was a rap group, I'd say an easy 7/10 would immediately lean towards "poem." I asked my boyfriend here and that is what he thought too. But it could also relate to all/any of those things. the tracklisting gives no indication what it could be about.

given the artwork, I'd say this was just a little nod to their name more than anything, and it is cool. I mean, these guys are rappers. Even on their best day I don't think they analyze this nearly as much as we do precisely because we are associating this with Ringo. I mean their album artwork is always the same, same type of duo setup with a new kitsch. the first one had them with hawaiian leis, then the second one they had halos and white angel wings, and now with this one they have badass skeleton glowing hands.

I'd say go with Maboroshi's Modern Poetry and then put an asterisk and in a footname explain the other 4 meanings that "shi" may take.
Old 2009.04.24, 10:10 PM   #16
frecklegirl
apple-princess

Oh yeah... I was definitely going to footnote this shit.

Thanks, yeah I guess poetry does make the most sense, rappers and all.
Old 2009.04.24, 10:55 PM   #17
kuro_neko

yeah. it is kind of sad that the best part of the cd sounds like the guest vocals, on most tracks I've heard. my copy is shipping next month so I guess I'll have more to say then.
Old 2009.04.25, 05:47 AM   #18
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

Listening some radio interview at NicoNicoDouga, they explain that shi reference to ´death´. No the end of the band, more like an end of a musical cycle.
The radio interview is itself very interesting. They talk about Ringo in a very reverencial way. They give a shot and invited her about a collaboration, but with little hope (one of them has worked with Shiina Junpei, which probably helped to smooth things). When Ringo agreed, they actually felt cornered .

Shiina Ringo seems to give this vibe of commanding, I don´t know how to word it. When the boyband Tokio went to Music Station, their vocalist, Nagase, talked about how he would act totally like a junior around her (when he recorded her music) and would found out later that they are the same age. "I was tricked by her aura".
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.25, 11:33 AM   #19
frecklegirl
apple-princess

Cool! yayyy I was right
Old 2009.04.25, 02:33 PM   #20
kuro_neko

cool. so death, that is kind of creepy. they should have just used kanji if it refers to one meaning. I still think it is supposed to have multiple meanings with the overall meaning then being "death" or "end"

do you have the source for the niconico video? I want to hear the interview.

I think Ringo is one of those huge industry personalities whereas they felt intimidated by her simply because of what they knew of her and all she had accomplished. I mean, especially TOKIO. They know they are in a boy band, a middle aged one at that. That is like putting Bjork in a room with Back Street Boys, of course they are going to get ordered around a little bit, hahah.