Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.07.10, 12:59 PM   #11
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Fluxus has some good indie bands/projects.

Clazziquai, W&WHALE, etc.

Epik High, Drunken Tiger, T

But I can't stand idol groups. The only one I like is Brown Eyed Girls,but even they aren't that great.

Also: Epik High is NOT a boyband.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 04:30 PM   #12
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by thespidereggs View Post
Haha, I actually went vinyl shopping yesterday for Pearl Sisters, but also to no avail. Do you know any decent places to shop in Seoul, though? I went to the underground shopping center in Myeongdong, but otherwise I haven't gotten a chance to look around.
Myeongdong is the best place I know for any used music. (now that the magical store in Idae is gone. ) I got a bunch of Kim Wan Sun from there. But it's still not that good for 60s records. There's this one place I looooved, but I only visited it once. The guy who runs it is adorable, has a limp and cleaned and played a Jung Hoonhee record I was on the search for.

There's a folk flea market near Sinseol-dong station and I found the one Pearl Sisters record I was able to find in Korea. Everything's veeeeery jumbled and thrown together there. The record I got was crazy beat up. :/ The guy running that shop was standoffish at first, but really helped me out when he knew what I was looking for.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 04:32 PM   #13
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Ok watched them, a few I like, it's surpising how many of these 'indie' bands sound like Australian indie music- not really my thing. What about on the other side of the spectrum- something a little on the heavy metal scene? Is there a metal scene?
There is, and it's actually quite large. I hardly listen to metal, so to my ear it sounds a bit...generic. But that may just be ignorance on my part, and I've only actually listened to a little bit of Crash and Blackhole.

But I can definitely recommend some more from the lighter side of K-indie:

Roller Coaster
Humming Urban Stereo
Fanny Fink
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 04:47 PM   #14
mizer_unmei

ooh, I just remembered these guys too. They're not bad.

mirror

aaand, this band. They're indie, but I like the feeling they give off. I don't know if they're still doing anything though.

은밀한 버스

last.fm
Old 2011.07.10, 05:08 PM   #15
TurtleFu

What's that band with "broccoli" in their name? I don't know, but apparently they are the most popular indie band in Korea and are very critically acclaimed. Of course, you wouldn't know it because of how shitty Korean mainstread music is.
Old 2011.07.10, 06:25 PM   #16
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Also: Epik High is NOT a boyband.
I beg to differ

Epik High
Old 2011.07.10, 07:16 PM   #17
TurtleFu

I fail to see how backup dancers somehow makes them a boyband.

Or is the happy, postive song?

Epik High's mantra is "no genre, just music" but equivocating them with the millions of Korean boybands is just wrong.
Old 2011.07.10, 10:33 PM   #18
the fox

the fox has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
What's that band with "broccoli" in their name? I don't know, but apparently they are the most popular indie band in Korea and are very critically acclaimed. Of course, you wouldn't know it because of how shitty Korean mainstread music is.
broccoli you too
the fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.11, 05:00 AM   #19
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
Myeongdong is the best place I know for any used music. (now that the magical store in Idae is gone. ) I got a bunch of Kim Wan Sun from there. But it's still not that good for 60s records. There's this one place I looooved, but I only visited it once. The guy who runs it is adorable, has a limp and cleaned and played a Jung Hoonhee record I was on the search for.

There's a folk flea market near Sinseol-dong station and I found the one Pearl Sisters record I was able to find in Korea. Everything's veeeeery jumbled and thrown together there. The record I got was crazy beat up. :/ The guy running that shop was standoffish at first, but really helped me out when he knew what I was looking for.
Awesome, thanks!

Myeongdong was a pretty good resource, albeit the one place I went to was VERY huge, almost intimidatingly. I'm definitely going back there before I depart for the US. I went to the underground shopping center near Shinsaegyae Dept. Store, and the owners of a different store were also standoffish, especially since they were dealing with a foreigner. I came in and asked for Beatles collectors' vinyls, and their attitude was basically, "It's expensive, so don't bother."

I'll definitely check out that flea market, though. I'm still on a seemingly hopeless quest to find any Japanese vinyls. As if finding KZK in some random stack of LP's might ever happen here.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.11, 03:03 PM   #20
mizer_unmei

Yeahh, not so much for Japanese vinyl in the hanguks. Japanese music wasn't officially sold in Korea until 2002, I think. Which is why you find a bunchhhh of bootleg TRF and Namie CDs in the used CD piles. Teehee.

last.fm