Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.12.08, 08:10 PM   #21
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

8. Wakusei Abnormal- Nandemonai Kyoki

When I was first told about this band, I was pretty skeptical. The person who mentioned it to me originally (not an EMF member) usually suggests things that I don't end up liking, so I had my reservations. I cast the name aside for a little while. Then the little bits of hype started trickling through my usual music hives. Could this band be the next big thing?

So I gave it a spin, and I was hooked. I instantly ordered the CD for myself. This thing rocked. It had those style vocals that I have come to adore. The musicianship was impeccable. It was forward thinking, it was moving. I listened to this over and over. I still listen to it over and over.

Wakusei Abnormal's
debut is a fantastic, gripping listen. Not a moment is wasted through it's six tracks, and it hearkens back to early Shiina Ringo and the best moments of Tokyo Jihen.

How could I resist?

Wakusei Abnormal

Special Mention: Wakusei Abnormal- Anata Sonata

Wakusei Abnormal released a follow up to Nandemonai Kyoki recently. This is a less rocky, more poppy record. It is by no means bad, but doesn't hold up to the original for me. Where the band really excited me (and many, many other people) on the first, this felt like it could be bsides to that brilliant release. I don't doubt that Wakusei Abnormal have something bigger to offer in the future, this just isn't that release. (Some people disagree and actually find Anata Sonata a better release).

Still worthy of checking out though.

愛してやまない

Old 2013.12.09, 05:37 AM   #22
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
it hearkens back to early Shiina Ringo and the best moments of Tokyo Jihen.
But lets be honest, mostly Jihen

Loved Kveikur alot too! Excited to check out Sam Phillips! I wish I heard what you hear in Sa Dingding doh =(
Old 2013.12.09, 04:28 PM   #23
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

7. Yamantaka//Sonic Titan- UZU

UZU, the follow up to the band's incredible YT//ST has a lot going for it. Great production, interesting concept, outstanding instrumental work and ethereal vocals. While I don't think it's quite as strong as the debut, it's still one of my personal favorite albums of the year.

The whole East meets West sound that Yamantaka//Sonic Titan are going for is stronger than ever here, and once again, the album works much better listening to it as a whole piece than just single tracks. The progressive rock elements of the first are still there, and rarely does the album let up or weaken.

My favorite tracks are Whalesong, the previously released Lamia (I love how 90's this one sounds), Seasickness pts. 1 and 2 and the truly outstanding, uplifting, damn ROCKIN' single One (which I'm assuming will be a cornerstone live track for the band from now on, with its OSCA-like structure [not sound]).

I think the band still have more to offer in the future, and this is another great listen from them. Check it out!

One
Old 2013.12.09, 04:31 PM   #24
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

DG is a beast
my top 3 best artists from this year are from his post

yasuha kominami
wakusei abnormal
oomori seiko

and im beginning to love oomori above everyone else right now
i will be sure to check out all his picks or most of them
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.09, 05:17 PM   #25
deadgrandma

6. Goldfrapp- Tales of Us

Ah, Goldfrapp, it's great to see them back on fine form after the abysmal Head First. Tales of Us revisits that classic, amazing mellow sound that I love so much from Felt Mountain, yet manages to give the album a new, darker twist.

Each song is named after a person's name (except "A Stranger")- hence the title- "Tales of Us"- and like every individual, each has its own character and their own element of mystery to them.

From the second this album starts playing, it clenches you and doesn't let go until it finishes. It is extremely beautiful, has those amazing trademark "Goldfrapp" vocals throughout and is both sensual yet stand-offish, like being in an affair.

Indeed, these lines from "Thea" have stuck with me:

"Wanted you so bad
I feel like I'm caught with no air
Wanted you gone
Wanted you there"

The music itself is theatrical in nature, yet never, ever sounds like anyone else except Goldfrapp. I think this is a testament to the band's ability to stick to their vision without falter. The album itself won't win any of their detractors, but for old fans, this is essential.

Tales of Us, the most sexy, sensual album of 2013 for me.

Goldfrapp- Thea
Old 2013.12.09, 05:21 PM   #26
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I knew you were going to post Tales of Us! I agree, it's a great album. I'm not a fan of Goldfrapp at all but this really sparse, moody type of music I love.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.09, 05:34 PM   #27
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I knew you were going to post Tales of Us! I agree, it's a great album. I'm not a fan of Goldfrapp at all but this really sparse, moody type of music I love.
Heh, I'm sure you won't find any suprises in my top 5, except for maybe the order I've put them in. I'll start them soon. Just making sure I'm personally happy with the order I have them in. Pretty sure it's right.
Old 2013.12.09, 06:02 PM   #28
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I wouldn't worry too much about the order. I've found that once you get to "Top 5" individual order is almost meaningless, because you already have such a high standard.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.09, 08:20 PM   #29
deadgrandma

5. Arcade Fire- Reflektor

One of the major releases of 2013, Arcade Fire's Reflektor is a dauntingly amazing achievement. A double album that takes Arcade Fires typically indie pop sound to new levels, with the assistance of James Murphy. This Arcade Fire is dancey, progressive, bombastic and pretentious. And it works wonders for them.

Not a single dull moment in a 2 disc album- that's already an achievement. But to be utterly compelled from the start of the first disc to the end of the second without letting up whatsoever- that's a feat of wonder. Arcade Fire have truly set a new standard for this style of rock, and I feel that it will have many imitators in the future.

Favourite tracks are Reflektor, Here Comes the Night Time and Joan of Arc from the first disc and Awful Sound and Afterlife from disc 2. It is a powerful listen, and I am sure it will be a great listen for years to come. I look forward to seeing Arcade Fire play these songs live early next year.

Sure, it is somewhat dividing right now, but I'm sure in the future this will be considered a 'legendary' work of art. I imagine it sitting comfortably next to Kid A and Nevermind in people's "best of all time lists". If you haven't checked this out yet, then do yourself a mighty favor and grab a copy. Be part of something big.

Reflektor
Old 2013.12.10, 03:48 AM   #30
deadgrandma

4. Yasuha Kominami- Chimera

Now, you may be thinking "WHAT, how could he put this in front of Reflektor???" or "WHY is it ranked so high?". Well let me explain to you.

I consider this the best pop rock album (in the true sense of the term) to come out of Japan in years. On first impressions I just thought it would be some good fun tunes to listen to occasionally, but no, there's something much more exciting lurking underneath its 'catchy pop rock' veneer. Something that makes me go back over and over.

Could it be its awesome production? It's nifty drum work? Her amazing voice? It's absolute joy to listen to all the time? No. I think its Kominami's true songwriting strength at work here. It may take a few spins to fully appreciate, but when the pizazz of it's initial 'wow' effect wears off, you still want to listen to it, unlike many, many of her contemporaries.

To pick an individual favourite track is too painful for me to even think about. The album is full of amazing rock songs, effective ballads and memorable choruses. I think Jihad was saying something about one of Jihen and late game Ringo's main problems of late was coming up with an effective chorus. That isn't a problem here. I can think of them in my head easily and I don't even speak the language. That is how strong they are.

So, EMF'ers, do you feel a black hole where Jihen used to fill? No problem. Kominami is your answer. If this is how good her debut full length is, I can't wait to hear what comes next.

Kominami

Kominami

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.12.10 at 03:56 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote