Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.04.05, 02:41 PM   #11
Loire
Founder

Loire pleased at least somebody

I don't think I posted my comments about this release in the old forums, so I try to sum up my feelings here.
I don't think the new versions are bad, but they aren't of course as strong as they were in their original shape. I also didn't find Shiina's vocals so good compared to her previous albums. And I really don't like the new songs, they just sound like they were put in the album just to have some unreleased material in it. The only new tracks I liked were the ones that were released in the single, but I don't consider them masterpieces.
I think the live DVD with those orchestral versions was enough, and that there was no need to release a full album like this. It's one of those discs that you listen only once and then you forget about it.
Old 2007.04.05, 10:15 PM   #12
Fukurou

Fukurou pleased at least somebody

First reaction when the nature of this album (OST) was announced disapointed me.
I thought we could have some "new" Shiina, finally a new solo album (not i don't like Jihen, but...)...
And first time i listened to it were enough to know : even if it's just new versions of old songs for the most, it's so damn well done that i can't resist.
As usual, Shiina succeeded, for me.
And the new songs are good too.
I hope she'll go solo again after that, or at least explore more things in Jihen, like the electro-ish Oiran.
Fukurou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.06, 05:54 PM   #13
Mad_Mac

Mad_Mac pleased at least somebody

Mmhhhh.....

To be honest, This is the only Shiina's original cd that i have. And I'm really happy with it. I'm really satisfied with the way Shiina explore her work. It works well for me.

Gamble is the best for me, since it's somehow balance between rock (distortion guitar, and drum), and the orchestra.
Mad_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 03:04 AM   #14
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Pictures of other CD versions coming soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FH limited.jpg (91.4 KB, 182 views)
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 08:49 AM   #15
Xui

Xui pleased at least somebody

damn, i want to listen to it... Y__Y
but i CAN'T because i haven't got the money xD'
and i didn't find any copies of it on the web...
Xui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 09:04 AM   #16
haruhi-suzumiya

haruhi-suzumiya is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Xui View Post
Try looking for it here:

http://jpmp3.com/
haruhi-suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 04:05 PM   #17
Mad_Mac

Mad_Mac pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Xui View Post
I Think JPOPSUKI tracker have it.
Mad_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 06:32 PM   #18
ophy

ophy pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Well, you can't expect great reviews for an album that's almost half rehashed material even if it does come together as a decent package.

I'd give the album a 7/7.5 or something in that range. I like it, but I don't love it. Meisai, Gamble, Sakuran, and Hatsukoi Shoujo rank as very good-great for me, but the rest of the album isn't really up to par. Yume no Ato was the great disappointment on this album for me since it's one of my favorite Jihen songs. It felt like it could be so much more. Oiran is simply one of my least favorite R/J songs.
(Sorry I took a while to reply. Been workin'. Also, this is not a bash at you, Maou, this is just something that's been bothering me. I needed to get it off my chest, and your post was just a catalyst. Don't take it like an attack, just an opinion yelled out at everybody.)

Well, I'm sorry for being such a weirdo and not really giving a shit if it's rehashed or not. Is it new enough to make me interested? Why, yes, indeed it is. Did she pick wonderful songs to redo, namely Yokushitsu? Again, a yes.
The moment people started posting reviews for this album, there was a huge load of bullshit (in my honest opinion) about it.

Oh em gee, it's not all new stuff!1 LETS GO CRY and rant and be a complete moron about it.

I think that people thought it was the return of Elvis in a Shiina sense and got their hopes up way too high--setting expectations that were unfair.

I enjoy these songs, they are fun to listen to and are technically lovely.
Her voice sounds so controlled and pronounced, even in times of rawness and screeching. The compositions were wonderful, being a fan of the orchestral, myself. I love hearing Shiina sing in other languages--I got English and French. What more could I ask for? Truly, what more can anyone ask from a respected artist than to produce artwork?

Old 2007.04.07, 07:04 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Damn Maou. That was fast! :p

Wow.

I mean, its a bit of a frustrating album to criticize too, cuz then there's the "weeel it was just a soundtrack, nit a true album" crowd. And theres still a lot if unclarity since the packaging is Shiina dominated so has the "look" of a Shiina album. We weren't expecting "the return of Elvis." Believe me, some of us weren't expecting a whole lot from HF. However, as "Elvis" as we weren't expecting, we were thinking that Meisai, Stem, Potergeist, Meiai, Ishiki would be "new" renditions and not ones we had heard, to the note, before.

Rehashes are nice, I like it when bands spin their old songs new ways. However putting out an album full of em --and at that mostly alt renditions we've already heard that she herself published -I for one don't think the cd can possibly get enough criticism. Unfortunately, it sold so well, no criticism would matter anyway.

So its not that "we've heard these songs before." But that "we've heard these particular renditions of these songs before." (And I'd argue they sounded better on Baishou Exstasy)

EDIT: and of course, this isn't a knock to people that may like HF. Its still an enjoyable listen when you listen to the whole album.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.04.07 at 09:13 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.13, 05:19 AM   #20
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
I liked this whole album from the second I heard it, and my opinion really hasn't changed that much since my first listen a month ago.

Other than that, I can honestly say that I like every song on this album. It probably has something to do with the "newness" of my Ringo fandom.
This is how I feel about the album as well. I think a lot of people have mixed feelings because they have been a fan of her music for long and this new change has scared some into the direction she is going and others because they just do not like this kind of music.

I am also one of the few that like papaya mango as well. From the minute I saw the pv I fell in love with it. I've heard some say that it is a weak cover that should not have been on the album but I think otherwise.

I really like how this album plays from start to finish, the order of the tracks and everything and it saddens me that so many people are critical about it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote