Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.07.01, 05:18 PM   #71
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
So you have the 4 specials to watch? The Waters of Mars is great. Tennants farewell is good, actually. It carries the necessary emotional impact, if a little drawn out. His last words are a bit heartbreaking.
yep, just watched the rather generic The Next Doctor. I already found that season finale heartbraking, where every companion from the new series basically said goodbye to him.
Again he is the loneliest man in the universe...

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.27, 03:05 PM   #72
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Wow, just watched episode 7 of Season 3 of Breaking Bad. This show is by far the best thing currently airing on TV (that I watch, at the very least) it's not even close.
Old 2010.07.28, 02:03 PM   #73
golem09

I'll watch that in some time as well. Currently I'm thinking of finally continuing Genesis Season 3. The first two season of that show are some of the best television has ever seen.
I just has the most perfect pacing ever achieved combined with characters that are so likeable and believable that I couldn't take most stuff seriously after it.

MyAnimelist
Old 2010.07.28, 04:20 PM   #74
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

You fully up to date with Dr Who? How are you finding Matt Smith?
Old 2010.07.28, 06:14 PM   #75
golem09

I'm halfway through season 5. I don't like him.
I also don't like that feeling of a complete reset. New Doctor, new Tardis, new Intro even a new screwdriver, no old chars at all.
The season has a completely new style, if I may say so, it almost feels like an american reboot.
The overall cheesiness of the first 4 season is totally missing. Cheesy was the word that completely definied Dr. Who for me.
Of course it also really miss David Tennant (This avatar is gonna stay ), but it's not as if this is the only reasin I don't like Smith.

Honestly, I would have been THRILLED if the new Doctor was played by John Simm. I bet he would have rocked almost as much as Tennant, but sadly his potential was wasted playing The Master for 3 episodes.
I also liked Eccleston more than Smith. I think my main concern is that he is way too young, which is one of my comparison to an "american reboot", and of course the havy chemistry between him and his companion.
There is only one new actor/char I really like so far: Her boyfriend

MyAnimelist
Old 2010.07.29, 03:48 AM   #76
Inaudible-Whisper

It pretty much was a reboot. New showrunner, new equipment (HD camera's) and a lot of new crew. Moffat obviously wanted to have his own take on the show, and I don't think he can have that by bringing up RTD-era stuff. I definitely think some of the cheese is still there, but it's toned down and I appreciate that. Similarly Smith had grown on me immensely by the end of the series. There are some brilliant episodes in the second half like Amy's Choice and Vincent and the Doctor (and unfortunately the 'Hungry Earth' two parter which is the low point of the series). Hopefully Smith can grow on you some more; he did for a lot of people who weren't instantly pulled in.
Old 2010.07.29, 06:51 AM   #77
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ Vincent and the Doctor was my favorite of the season I think. I could easily watch that one over and over.

And Matt Smith definitely grew on me in the end. And Moffat's writing and pulling of the season together definitely is much more fluid, exciting and much less cringe inducing than RTD. Tennant's still my favorite though.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.29, 08:11 AM   #78
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I must check Breaking Bad out. Sounds cool.

And don't mind the new doctor. Cheesiness? This year's earnestness becomes next year's cheese. Future cheese is already being manufactured in bulk.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2010.07.29 at 08:16 AM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.30, 01:46 PM   #79
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

I'm really starting to like Matt Smith too. I don't think anyone will be as good as Tennant, but Smith is great. I have high hopes for Moffat's Who.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 02:21 AM   #80
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ Plus next season will have at least one episode written by Neil Gaiman. Which is just awesome. I can't wait~ the Who off-seasons are dark.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote