Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.08, 03:24 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Brickwalling is part of the appeal.

I have a vague idea as to what brickwalling is, thanks to EMF. But while this is often used as a pejorative, I think the approach is part of why I enjoy SR's music. I don't like the humble demo approach. I like the over the top, aggressive arrangements/production and Ringo turning it up to eleven...and being 'feminine' at the same time. Her voice is too much. The orchestra is too much. The guitar is too much. The brickwalling is the cherry on top. It all appeals to me because my brain is often "fesfdgios32dsgdsf45" and Ringo's OTT approach manages to keep up with that. Heck, disgust is part of my attraction to Ringo, and I want her to continue to disgust me with her messy pop music.

The only album that doesn't work for me in this way is Kyouiku because it sounds kinda artificial. It sounds like the toy version of Dynamite Out.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.08, 04:11 AM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Any Tokyo Jihen album after Kyoiku has more dynamics than Shiina Ringo's albums from 2014. Going back and revisiting Variety; becomes refreshing in the sense that at least the album isn't attacking my ears.

Brickwalling isn't just about being loud. It's like turning up the contrast in a picture/video to where blacks and whites become more pronounced, but you lose a lot of greyscale. There are ways you as a consumer can make any existing music sound like this (even if you didn't record it yourself), but there's not much the pro-dynamics listeners can do if the dynamics are already gone. Maybe run the music through a tube amp, but that would at best soften the blow, and couldn't be done portably.

It's a very legitimate problem for people to complain about.
Old 2014.11.09, 09:02 PM   #3
hedgehog

hedgehog has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Its funny that you'd say disgust is an attractive part of the music. I've said before that part of what I like about the music is that it almost irritates me. I would disagree with the over compression though. The music loses its edge when everything is one volume. I can only dream of how irritating the music could be if the music would go from really quiet to really loud.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcU...4hOt5spwJ6XyUg
The colorful band with only one member...
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.11, 12:32 AM   #4
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

An old DBX 3BX-DS, which was originally designed to increase the dynamic range of vinyl, might help.

Can't really see how running the signal through a tube amp could help much at all.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.11, 07:03 AM   #5
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Glath: it's a legitimate complaint to listeners like you who are sensitive to the aural intricacies of a track. I'm the opposite because all I get is an impression when I hear a track. (That's why I listen to live audio more than studio recordings.)

'Am I the only one who...' is such a cliche , but I am very curious as to whether I am the only one who thinks that the crude production is essential to the SRE.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2014.11.11 at 07:10 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote