Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2013.07.27, 06:01 PM   #31
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Probably because B.B.Queen is completely outclassed in every possible way by Karada.

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
^
I kinda liked Gunjou Biyori when I first heard it, but it was never one of my favorites. However, it's grown on me in more recent years.

A lot of people don't like B.B.Queen either, but I appreciate it and Gunjou Biyori (and Lady Is A Tramp) for those deliciously harsh vocals we rarely heard in Phase 2, and the instrumentals in Gunjou Biyori serve as an appropriate vehicle for that. Also, it's some of Hata's best drumming ever.

Gunjou Biyori may not be the greatest ever, but it's a lot more than "marginally better" than Senkou Shoujo.
They have a similar aesthetic, even though the former is a great deal more raw compared to the latter's languor. I put them in the same category, but that may just be me.

I agree that Hata's drumming is super tight (excepting the outro before the closing) and I would love what he does with it were the percussion existing in a vacuum, but it almost seems excessive. Probably what they were going for, that effusive, in-your-face affectation (heck, Kyouiku opens with the super-jarring Jihen version of Ringo no Uta), but it falls flat for me. Probably why I've always been more of a fan of Phase 2; Phase 1 always felt like a rock outfit "trying to do Ringo Shiina" to me. Weird, I know.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.27, 08:15 PM   #32
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Gunjou Biyori is leagues ahead of Senkou Shoujo. I used to dislike it, to be honest, but seeing it performed at Dynamite Out and repeated listens have really improved my opinion of the song. It's a great rock track.

On the other hand, if we're talking about Phase 2's performances of Gunjou then I can see where you're come from.
Old 2013.07.28, 01:47 AM   #33
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I prefer New Civilization.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.28, 03:38 AM   #34
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
Gunjou Biyori is leagues ahead of Senkou Shoujo. I used to dislike it, to be honest, but seeing it performed at Dynamite Out and repeated listens have really improved my opinion of the song. It's a great rock track.

On the other hand, if we're talking about Phase 2's performances of Gunjou then I can see where you're come from.
Nah, talking about the studio version (though I haven't watched DO in a good, long while). It's just kinda a'ight for me. I'd say Atarashii Bunmei-kaika is the bridge between the two as far as I'm concerned.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.11, 05:27 PM   #35
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Has anyone said Electric Mole? I watched that the first time expecting to be amazed and astonished. I know a lot of people don't agree with me, but it was a total let-down for me. Ishiki and Odaiji ni were awesome... Kuki and Poltergeist were sweet. The rest... well, I usually skip them. I love the songs but none of the performances were OMG for me. While Ringo shines during some of the set, the highlights of the show were Hata and HZM. Great show -- but ridiculously overrated.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.11, 05:57 PM   #36
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Nothing with Minanomachi Juusanbanichi can be considered overrated. That rendition is Ringos vocals at the best she's ever had them.

I know I butchered spelling but you know what I'm talking about
Old 2014.05.11, 08:04 PM   #37
kalmia

Ahh, how could I forget that song? It's rare but I love it when Ringo sings in enka style. I want her to come out with original material that sounds like that. It just suits her so much.

And as far as the actual DVD goes, I enjoyed the way that performance was shot with personal cameras.
Old 2014.05.12, 09:26 AM   #38
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Electric Mole took me a few watches to appreciate. When I'm watching a concert on video, my ear is not as attuned to the music; I'm focusing on the visuals. And the Electric Mole visuals are mostly blah. But the audio mix is astounding and from a 2014 vantage point, it represents what I think Ringo wanted out of Tokyo Jihen before it started.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.12, 10:54 AM   #39
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'm going to overrate the ending jam of Izonshou. It is the stuff of gods. It should be studied by all aspiring guitarists who wish to construct a long, meaningful solo that doesn't get too bombastic.

Now I'm likely going to underrate the live version of the jam. Izonshou was the first live I heard off of GX. It was horrible. There was no semblance of the solo portion left. Just some untalented hack bending the same not fifty thousand times when playing lead. He'd rather chill in the rhythm section while letting Ringo lead. It cut my soul, man. It also hurt me when Hirama was almost as bad.

All hail Lord Nishikawa.

On that same note, Senkou Ecstasy crapped all over GX. I dare you to listen to both versions of Keikoku and try to tell me that Yayoshi's (GX) guitar work is anything other than a pale imitation on parody levels.
Old 2014.05.12, 11:14 AM   #40
kalmia

Yeah, I think the visuals and bad editing is a big reason I mentioned Electric Mole at all. Most of the songs are actually really good.