Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2013.11.19, 01:09 PM   #51
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

What's wrong with those setlists? She forgot about Bonsai Hada. That's a perfect song to perform live, either featuring just an accordion or the whole Neko orchestra.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.19, 01:12 PM   #52
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
What's wrong with those setlists? She forgot about Bonsai Hada. That's a perfect song to perform live, either featuring just an accordion or the whole Neko orchestra.
Lack of Ryuukou, Roudousha, 0maruchiten kara, Mayakashi Yasaotoko, Togatta Teguchi, Jinsei Omoidori thing, My Love (?) hopefully she's saving them for the ringohan concerts

Iroikoizata being performed with accordion is interesting though
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 01:30 AM   #53
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I was at the show last night (11.19). Honestly... I'm really disappointed. Almost nothing I wanted to hear live was played, and so many things I don't care at all about were. I sat there thinking, "Jihad would haaaaate this..." haha. It was not the rock Ringo concert I had been hoping against hope would happen - instead it was very sedate, jazzy, upscale, much like Dai-ikkai Ringohan Taikai. I had been hoping the jazzy/slow songs at the beginning were just one part, as soon as I realized there wasn't a guitar in the orchestra I was like ohhhh noooooo. Then after the third song she told us to sit down. It was like "Oh, it's going to be that kind of concert. Great."

I AM very glad I got to hear Marunouchi Sadistic though. It remains one of my very favorite songs. I just wish it hadn't been the ONLY song I've loved for years that I heard last night...

She had three costume changes. First she came out in a crown and a sparkly glittery slinky dress. Of course the crown - Ringo is our queen. Then she changed into a white dress with a short A-line skirt that flared out, with a black jacket on top, which she took off later but not in a dramatic way - in a like "I'm hot, gonna take this off now" random way, haha. Then she changed into a red pencil skirt and red/white blouse with a red/white hairscarf - looked like Audrey Hepburn. For the encore she put on one of the tour tshirts over that.

While her voice was amazing and she hit so many notes, she did not appear like she had a lot of energy - she was very stationery on stage, did not move around a lot.

But. She just gave birth 6 months ago. She has a baby she is breastfeeding. OF COURSE she doesn't have a lot of energy and of course she planned a more sedate show/setlist so she wouldn't have to exert herself too much. But it really is amazing that her voice has not been affected negatively at all by giving birth 6 months ago - it sounds freaking fantastic.

There was also a cute moment where she came out onstage at the start of the show, began singing Tsugou no Ii Karada, then flubbed a line. She waits about 5 seconds and then signals the band members "Mou ikkai [One more time]" and walks offstage, only to come back on and start over, getting it right this time. Later she sat down at the piano and did a pre-song MC, and during a bit of a pause after she apologized for what happened, people started shouting "No, it was cute!" Haha, it was cute, everyone was laughing.

At the end of the show, there was a pause so people started screaming "Congratulations!" "Congratulations on the birth of your baby!" (I screamed it too, haha)

A lot of girls came in full kimono which is amazing and I totally want to do too. A few people were wearing the Sports tour athletic jackets.

Now I'm just wishing I had been in Japan in like 2000 and could have heard some of my favorite favorite songs live and not rearranged in a jazzy HF way... or I wish I could have gone to Ringo Expo where they DID play the vast majority of those songs. I'm so jealous of Maou right now.

The new song, I dunno, it was slow and boring. I cannot describe music to save my life sooo... there you go.

Also, they didn't check any ID ever.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 02:18 AM   #54
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

椎名林檎の、中の人は、本業が作家業。
どうしても、書くことを優先して物事を進めてしまいがちです。
が、皆様が仰るように、演奏家業も細々続けるべく、健康第一で努めて参りたいと思います。
a person inside Shiina Ringo is a writer in essence.
so it is inevitable that I tend to take priority over writing.
but as everyone says, for the sake of I can continue to be a performing musician, I must keep my health.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 02:36 AM   #55
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It all sounds good to me haha.
Old 2013.11.20, 04:22 AM   #56
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
I sat there thinking, "Jihad would haaaaate this..." haha.
Hahah!

When DG posted the setlist...on the one hand, I can appreciate an artist trotting out the deep cuts (and essentially anything post-Stem is a deep cut), unfortunately the easiest way to perform these songs is in that boring jazz mode.

On the hopeful side, her first post-child tour in 02/03 was in a similar vain (Baishou Exstasy) and she followed that with Sugoroku/Electric Mole. As Freckle Girl mentioned, its a low energy, probably lower stress kind of show so maybe its a warm up like 10 years ago.

(But seriously, there's some songs in that set that I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to know.)

Thank you for the write up!

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2013.11.20 at 04:26 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 04:24 AM   #57
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I forgot about Roudousha - I would LOVE to see that performed live!
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 06:18 AM   #58
3knotsJK

3knotsJK has had more than 15 seconds of fame

In case you overlooked something, following kronekodow news, on nikonama there's going to be 24 hours viewing of previous live shows and if I understand it well one part of last toutaikai live.
Old 2013.11.20, 06:59 AM   #59
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I prefer rock Ringo as well, but she's been moving further and further away from rock for a long time. I've accepted it. That said, the show sounds like a good time. I don't mind a laid-back, jazzy type show. But I understand your frustration in that you wanted your experience to be full of energy because it's Shiina!
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 02:35 PM   #60
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I wonder if the fanclub/broadcast show will be different (at least in setlist terms), it has a different venue/name afterall... Plus EMI then have 2 overpriced blu ray releases they can release :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.11.20 at 02:39 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote