Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.09.15, 01:07 PM   #41
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

No seriously, you guys can't delve into the meaning of the term "customers" without considering what it means in Japanese. And I dont' know the Japanese language skills of everyone on here, but if you think "customers" sounds "cold" then it's doubtful you have much expeireince with the language. I'm trying to phrase this so it isn't offenseive, sorry if it comes across that way.
Customers is of the utmost respect.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.15, 04:11 PM   #42
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I don't think it's all about service culture, which can come off cold or even mildly (or strongly) aggressive. I don't think Ringo or Jihen ever went overboard with that. They don't say "hey guys!" to their audience, but then they don't say "forgive our rudeness in interrupting your day!"

I do think Ringo overdoes her modesty and formality in interviews. But then those always seem like very controlled conversations. I remember once someone asking her what she likes to eat, and she seemed almost overwhelmed by the question before admitting "tofu." That was definitely an off-the-script moment.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.15, 11:35 PM   #43
anonlurker

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
No seriously, you guys can't delve into the meaning of the term "customers" without considering what it means in Japanese. And I dont' know the Japanese language skills of everyone on here, but if you think "customers" sounds "cold" then it's doubtful you have much expeireince with the language. I'm trying to phrase this so it isn't offenseive, sorry if it comes across that way.
Customers is of the utmost respect.

I have no experience with the language outside of music. You don't have to fret about coming across as offensive when you're just stating facts.

I suspect the term does indeed come across differently in Japan than it does over here.
Old 2014.09.16, 03:10 AM   #44
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

The contrast between her current controlled, refined persona and her early spontaneous and rough around the edges persona is funny and kind of sad. Isn't there a happy medium?
Old 2014.09.16, 02:29 PM   #45
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
The contrast between her current controlled, refined persona and her early spontaneous and rough around the edges persona is funny and kind of sad. Isn't there a happy medium?
She got older and had 2 kids. Why are you surprised?
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.16, 02:54 PM   #46
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

She is still very succulent.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.16, 03:27 PM   #47
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
She is still very succulent.
Not counting how she's aged gracefully I'm speaking of change in personality only. It's only natural she's "calmed" down in a sense.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.16, 04:09 PM   #48
hedgehog

hedgehog has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
I'm glad she's more reserved. I think it would be embarrassing if she still was trying to act like a kid. I know what you mean about the spontaneity but I think her current course will keep her the most successful.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcU...4hOt5spwJ6XyUg
The colorful band with only one member...
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.17, 03:23 AM   #49
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
She got older and had 2 kids. Why are you surprised?
Because usually the transition from wild and free is to mellow but sociable, not stick up your butt prim and proper. It's over the top like everything else in her life.
Old 2014.09.17, 03:55 AM   #50
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, the whole reserved image started long before people probably like to admit... That is, with KZK/Baishou Xtasy. Hell, it's present on EM/ZX too. And it feels far more theatrical/put on/calculated there than it does at current.

So get over it.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.09.17 at 04:00 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote