Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2010.01.29, 01:43 PM   #411
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
It became an outdated term during the '90s, but it was a catch-all phrase for everything that wasn't mainstream. Punk, new wave, garage rock, etc. Now we label everything and whatever can't be clearly defined is "alternative". I think Noudouteki Sanpunkan fits as an alternative rock song because it doesn't clearly fit into any other genre.

That's Nishikawa.
oops. so it is. whatever happened to shigi, so frustrating, she releases a single, a mini album, another single, and then goes a year and doesn't release or say anything really. I wish I could find Ueda Kenji and smack him upside the head (he is her sponsor/partner/producer etc)
Old 2010.01.29, 05:53 PM   #412
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by clakaz View Post
Tokyo Jihen Music Video Selection - 2/21 - 8:00 ~10:00

I really want to see this.

As far as labels go.....I usually use them kind of like magnet poetry, whatever I can find that fits and will hopefully make sense to the other person,. There are lots of bands that I would call jazz with one person and rock or pop with another. I dont really think they work any other way unless your musical interests are limited to a really really particular sound which hopefully they aren't. (Hardcore Jazz fans, classic rock fans , and people who eat anything that is fed to them often force me to stretch my use of labels in ways that make me uncomfortable)

And you could say 'screw labels' but then you run out of ways to describe music, and if your a music person, you probably reccomend a lot of stuff to other people (I have about 10 people who use me as their primary source of new music) and need to describe it somehow. Comparisons to other musicians can really mess with peoples expectations sometimes more than genre labeling can.

Alternative however is a label I never use because I cant figure out what it means. I might use it to refer to those bands that were on 'Alternative Rock Stations' (limp bizket, creed etc.) but I never talk about that crap. It always just seemed to me like rock fans who wanted to feel different from the mainstream but werent. Kind of like punk rock but without the history and evolution and unlike punk rock everything was bad.

Indie difficult but I usually use it in a positive way - to refer to the way the music is released OR in a negative way to refer to pretentious music that sounds low fi to make people think its more artistic (see animal collective)

Pop can be difficult too.
Old 2010.01.29, 06:36 PM   #413
ROCKET

ROCKET pleased at least somebody

I was being sarcastic about the "alternative" stuff.

Don't take everything so serious, people.

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
Ringo is singing blues/gospel style which is a first for her and she executed it really well.

iI think its because Ringo is convincingly singing in a way soulful black vocalists were known to sing in the late 60's/70's, or what I call American Idol audition style. hey, Beyonce Ringo is real!
My ears are thankful for her singing in this new way. I am really liking the results. Expecting some good tunes from the new album.

www.myspace.com/maximauze
Old 2010.01.29, 10:39 PM   #414
Denitson777

Denitson777 pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by lazer85 View Post
I really want to see this.

As far as labels go.....I usually use them kind of like magnet poetry, whatever I can find that fits and will hopefully make sense to the other person,. There are lots of bands that I would call jazz with one person and rock or pop with another. I dont really think they work any other way unless your musical interests are limited to a really really particular sound which hopefully they aren't. (Hardcore Jazz fans, classic rock fans , and people who eat anything that is fed to them often force me to stretch my use of labels in ways that make me uncomfortable)

And you could say 'screw labels' but then you run out of ways to describe music, and if your a music person, you probably reccomend a lot of stuff to other people (I have about 10 people who use me as their primary source of new music) and need to describe it somehow. Comparisons to other musicians can really mess with peoples expectations sometimes more than genre labeling can.

Alternative however is a label I never use because I cant figure out what it means. I might use it to refer to those bands that were on 'Alternative Rock Stations' (limp bizket, creed etc.) but I never talk about that crap. It always just seemed to me like rock fans who wanted to feel different from the mainstream but werent. Kind of like punk rock but without the history and evolution and unlike punk rock everything was bad.

Indie difficult but I usually use it in a positive way - to refer to the way the music is released OR in a negative way to refer to pretentious music that sounds low fi to make people think its more artistic (see animal collective)

Pop can be difficult too.
Definitely labels are needed to describe music and other forms of art,but the words alternative just like nu-metal and grunge those words really don't tell you anything about the kind of music at all,just the time and sometimes place in which any particular band was fashionable,if they were at all.

But according to that unreliable source (Wikipedia) and I quote:Alternative rock (also called alternative music, alt-rock or simply alternative) is a genre of rock music that emerged in the 1980s and became widely popular in the 1990s.

Subgenres
Britpop – College rock – Dream pop - Geek rock – Gothic rock – Grunge – Indie pop – Indie rock – Math rock - Noise pop - Noise rock – Paisley Underground – Post-Britpop - Post-rock – Shoegazing

Even Math Rock is alternative for wikipedia,which is crazy cause math rock started in the early 1960s and '70s just like prog rock.
Old 2010.01.29, 11:37 PM   #415
terrorsounds

terrorsounds pleased at least somebody

I also thought Of SR/TJ music to be multi-genre artist. i mean sometimes you get rock, sometimes you get some from a musical, sometime something quite soulful, covers of classic songs from the world.
Old 2010.01.30, 12:06 AM   #416
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

This discussion about genre is interesting but some impressions from 2ch,
I think someone said that the first half of the first track is acapella!
So that's why the guy from rockin on said it was like Queen!

Edit:

Someone thinks that Kachi Ikusa stole from Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x65iIpDk2So

Last edited by Scribble R : 2010.01.30 at 12:24 AM.
Old 2010.01.30, 12:55 AM   #417
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

It sounds like a Beatlesque intro/outro, hotel lounge Kyogenshou in the verses, P-Funk harmonies and Andrew Gold in the bridge. Approximately!

Old 2010.01.30, 03:03 AM   #418
obama917

obama917 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
some impressions from 2ch,
I think someone said that the first half of the first track is acapella!
The source of the information is rockin on that came out today, featuring a lengthy TJ interview. It says that the first half of Ikiru is a cappella edited in an weird way and the song has a bold structure.

The magazine describes #2 track Denpa Tsuushin as a 'shocking' electro-rock tune. This song seems Izawa's because in the interview Ringo says, 'one of Izawa's songs... maybe it was Denpa Tsuushin'. At one point in the recording of this song, their play got too extreme and Kameda said, 'I'm scared!' That take was dropped eventually.

The lyrics of #3 Season Sayonara and #5 FOUL were written by Ukigumo. (So the unofficial credit list on 2ch is correct so far.)

Ringo, Ukigumo and Izawa will talk more about individual songs in detail in the next issue.

The interviewer says that, with many non-Ringo songs in it, SPORTS could have been more similar to VARIETY, but the final products sound very different. He repeatedly stresses the aggressiveness of SPORTS.

The most interesting part of the interview to me is where Izawa says Ringo's release of SG made him nervous. He thought TJ would lose its raison d'etre if the next album failed despite featuring Ringo's vocal and lyrics similarly. When he goes on to express his concern about the Phase 1/Phase 2 comparison going around, Ringo asks, 'is that because #1 track of SG (Ryuukou) was written by HZM?' Apparently she knew working with HZM for SG would put pressure on Izawa and did so deliberately.
Old 2010.01.30, 03:19 AM   #419
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

wasn't Ryuukou only arranged and performed by HZM??
thank you for bringing us fresh information, obama!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2010.01.30, 03:20 AM   #420
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

Ryuukou was arranged, not written by HZM, as far as I remember.
Edit: Shiina (S) X Izawa (M)

Last edited by clakaz : 2010.01.30 at 03:29 AM.
Closed Thread