Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.06.24, 12:04 AM   #61
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Offended? It's not like you fucked their mom or anything :-p
Old 2011.06.24, 02:14 AM   #62
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

encyclopedia dramatica offended page.

grandmama, you troll...
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.24, 04:44 AM   #63
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Also, unless kuro neko was passing around false information unknowingly, Souretsu was originally meant to be the closing track of MM. I don't remember why she decided against it.
Wow, that blew my mind. Is that a widely-accepted fact or just a rumor? I...wouldn't have ever thought that.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.24, 08:45 AM   #64
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
Wow, that blew my mind. Is that a widely-accepted fact or just a rumor? I...wouldn't have ever thought that.
It's on the Japanese wiki, but the information hasn't seemed to spread to non-Japanese fans. Apparently Kameda told her not to use it on MM if she wasn't completely positive she wanted to put it on the album. The arrangement would have been more in line with the MM sound, but it still would have been such a radical change of pace from the rest of the album. It would have left us all in awe just like the KSK version did.

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
I didn't mean to offend Maou or the members in this community. I just don't like it when people tries to strongly push his ideas into another.

Sorry if I have offended anyone. Sorry to Maou...
N-no, no no no. I wasn't really offended at all. I was just poking fun at my own reputation.

It also just dawned on me (and weirded me out) that I've been playing guitar for longer than you've been alive. Wow. Just keep working on it and remember that, above all else, music and performance is supposed to be fun. Have a good time when you're playing and don't get caught up with trying to be perfect. =]

Last edited by Maou : 2011.06.24 at 11:54 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.24, 08:58 AM   #65
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@Maou
The difference being, to me, that the verse and chorus in Koko de are in direct contrast of each-other, so the chorus stands out the most. In that way, it's a pretty mainstream pop-song.

Then again, I'm not a songwriter (and I think you mentioned that you were?). So, maybe I'm wrong. But I do think there is a change in her songwriting from MM --> SS --> KZK

When I think of "Poltergeist", I think of the whole song. To me, "Koko de Kiss shite." is just the chorus. The verses are unmemorable.

Maybe it's just an overall "feeling" to the song. Songs like Koko de are just meant to be catchy. It's not about doing something interesting or putting emotions in the song, it's about getting it stuck in your head.

And, I think I would disagree. If "Souretsu" was done in a standard 5-person band arrangement, without the crazy electric sitars, chanting, or ending, it wouldn't stand out from MM. It wouldn't be the same Souretsu. It would still be a good song. That's why I think an arrangement is what makes a song special. Yes, KZK is genius mostly for it's arrangement, and I have to ask: is that a bad thing?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.24, 10:31 AM   #66
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

It's difficult for me to talk specifically about Kokode Kisu Shite because I don't particularly like the song. It's a harmless song aimed at the mainstream and meant to sucker them into the much wider scope of the album. I don't find anything particularly memorable about it other than the opening line. Gibs, however, is totally sold by the hook in my experience. I like the song mainly because of the mi-mo-MI-mo (Sam Pearson is God) part and the guitar solo, but a bunch of people like it for the hook. People who aren't overly familiar with SR know Gibs and particularly know the "I wanna be with you!" part and the lines that follow.

I wasn't trying to defend Kokode (or even Gibs) as much as I was both the MM and SS albums as a whole. The albums as a whole are not as simple as Kokode and not so far off of KSK. It rubs some of us the wrong way when other place KSK way above the first two albums when they're all so close. Songs like Tadashii Machi, Kabukichou, Yami ni Furu Ame, and Sakana show the same care and depth in their songwriting and structure as KSK songs, but are presented in a more forward and easier to digest way. In their most simple forms MM, SS, and KSK are all very strong, but it does come down to how you like the songs presented when you want to pick a favorite. I like a most of the songs on KSK, but it's present in such a cold, distant way that I can't enjoy it s much as I want to.

It's not a bad thing to think KSK is genius for it's arrangement, but it's also not a bad thing to like Kokode or Gibs because they have catchy hooks.
Old 2011.06.24, 05:30 PM   #67
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I sometimes think that people like KZK because it is such a difficult album to digest and liking that album means that they have superior musicality and are a par above the other people who like the catchier, more immediate albums like SS and MM.

Sakana is such a great tune. Except for the first 20s the rest of the tune is constructed so well... Great jazzy melody and a nice spacious arrangement... In the verse she sings in the lower register such that it creates tension in the music... Which is then released in the chorus when she sings in a gentler tone and in a higher register. And then all the other instruments come in to fill the space... It's really one of my favourite arrangements by SR.

She hasn't really done anything similar... Which is a shame.
Old 2011.06.24, 05:54 PM   #68
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think KZK, as an album, fits together the best. Like, MM and SS have good songs and bad songs, but I think not only are all of the KZK songs "good" but they all have the same sort of feel.

I'd also like to add that I came to the conclusion that KZK was the best before I even read the love for it on this forum.

Gips, Honnou, and Tsumi to Batsu (just to name the SS singles) all have completely different feels.

(Also, I kind of consider Tadashii Machi on the level of Koko de Kiss shite. HERETIC!)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.24, 05:57 PM   #69
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I sometimes think that people like KZK because it is such a difficult album to digest and liking that album means that they have superior musicality
Does that mean I win cause I like Guernica?
Old 2011.06.25, 05:31 PM   #70
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ChickShhh View Post
For HF, play Hatsukoi Shoujo 13 times will do.
Hahahah I like HF but when I hear Papaya Mango I want to agree.

I liked almost everything until Variety came out and basically 3-5 songs per album from Variety on.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote