Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.03.22, 06:04 PM   #711
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

From what I gather, it seems like Oomori feels she's already well and truly conquered her take on folk though. She doesn't seem like the kind of person who can settle down once she's got momentum. I mean, the reason Pink Tokarev broke up more or less is that they had disagreements about the band not wanting to evolve with her, so I don't see her stepping back, at least on studio recordings. Yes, it could potentially be to her demise in the future (though so far, it's been a pretty big and uncanny winning streak for her), but its these kinds of big risks that I find very attractive and exciting in musicians. And hell, if you don't like her uber pop on the studio recordings, she's always gonna do acoustic lives- and all the Sennou tracks have translated beautifully into acoustic renditions that I've heard.

That said, I'm not totally against the idea of a collab with Aoba Ichiko, they do both play at incredibly different speeds/have entirely different approaches to folk music (its a genre term that pretty damn broad and rather general I suppose) from one another and it would be interesting to see what would come out of that. The restraint Ichiko shows mixed with the bipolar, unpredictable style Oomori has shown would make for some intense listening.

Also: if Oomori's first recorded work (that I've come across) was a punk band, then does that makes her actual roots punk? :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.22 at 06:37 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 06:00 AM   #712
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

A surprise announcement, this EP is out TOMORROW (Oomori is doing main vocals on one of the tracks). 300 copies only.
Old 2015.03.25, 06:50 AM   #713
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Who are they? And how is Oomori associated with them? Why should I care, DG?! Tell us!
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 04:31 PM   #714
deadgrandma

I'm really not 100% certain on this one, apart from that ガール椿 (Girls Tsubaki?) are an indie band that has opened for/played with her in the past.

I've seen this video from a few years back a million times and adore it (Oomori is on guitar and backup vox on this):
Oomori and ガール椿

As for the new track (Oomori has been labelled on main vox), I wanna go into this blindly for a change, I'm expecting a Lai Lai Lai Team esque track. I'll know in a couple days :-p

It's actually pretty overwhelming how many random collabs there are featuring Oomori that I'm only just finding out about now btw. Also glad she's able to appear on these indie releases and isn't shackled by AVEX like I was worried might happen.

Regarding THIS release: HAPPY SAD ZERO is the EP that leads into HAPPY SAD, an album coming out later in the year. Not sure if that has any more Oomori tracks or not.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.25 at 09:15 PM. Reason: ガール椿
Old 2015.03.26, 04:54 AM   #715
deadgrandma

Oomori Seiko Station

Been a while since the last episode. Anyway, here's a new one!

If you were wondering how/what Sennou tracks sounded like live, here you go.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.26 at 04:57 AM.
Old 2015.03.29, 09:02 AM   #716
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

those live sennou tracks are freshhhhh
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.29, 03:45 PM   #717
deadgrandma

Tokarev's replacement band. Complete with the likes of unkempt moustachioed action, un-removable hats, sunglasses indoors and IBM shirts.
Old 2015.03.30, 04:15 AM   #718
FadedSun

What an odd group of guys. Oomori looks like she's close to 40 years old in this photo.
Old 2015.03.30, 09:15 AM   #719
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Do we have a band name? I wonder if it is something new or Pink Tokarev Phase 2.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.30, 09:33 AM   #720
FadedSun

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
Do we have a band name? I wonder if it is something new or Pink Tokarev Phase 2.
How could it be Pink Tokarev Phase 2 when that isn't The Pink Tokarev?