Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.07.22, 11:04 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Thumbs down Hatsuiku Status sounds so...average.

So I just listened to the Hatsuiku Status stuff. A lot of it sounds bland and forgettable. More so than some of the new TJ stuff.

If you've listened to them, what do you think? And does anyone have any more information about them (Besides what's on wikipedia?)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.22, 11:12 AM   #2
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

There are maybe 5 or so Hatsuiku Status songs I've not heard yet as an incentive for me to buy their DVD. But I have heard some of what they've released, and let me just say that what I have heard is not particularly impressive.
...nor do I necessarily think it needed to be. A lot of times I wonder if what we consider to be trademarks of Ringo compositions are in fact trappings. Hatsuiku Status' stuff is some of the most un-Ringo-like songs she's ever released, so I think it was a beneficial exercise for her. For instance, I like "Sakasete Mite" and "Kougousei". The rest is kinda boring though.
Old 2009.07.22, 11:23 AM   #3
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yeah, I like bits of Kougousei.

I don't know when she did HS stuff, but I take it that she was just 'honing her craft' then. No-one's born talented, after all.
Old 2009.07.22, 11:30 AM   #4
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

It seems to me some kind of exercise, with very little compromise. From the documentary you have the impression that they made some brainstorm compositions, on the fly, very loose, taking the first sugestion that someone would come with. She even write the lyrics on the studio, in no time.

I don't know why three basses, though, really.
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.22, 11:46 AM   #5
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I personally enjoy it myself. It's a really raw sound. Not only is it a change from all of her other stuff but all of the women involved are pretty talented at their respective instruments. Hisako Tabuchi (guitarist) is especially great. I like it but I can understand how it wouldn't be someone else's cup of tea.
Old 2009.07.22, 12:21 PM   #6
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Only had time to give a Hatsuiku Status rip one listen, but favourited Sakasete Mite [YouTube link]. Her voice sounds good, it's got a slow, funky tune and Tabuchi's long guitar intro's cool. The three basses sound good on that one too.

Warui Nae Yoi Moe's fun, it's like her rock-rap crossover.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.22, 02:02 PM   #7
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Ringo did write the songs, didnt she? the video shows her coming up with the little ideas and the band writes her instructions down. she plays bass but theres another guy playing bass in the band. thats wacky!

the sound is powerful enough, but the songs are lacking the whatever it is that makes the song memorable.

the musicians she collaborates with really influence the end product. Hatsuiku Status didnt click well even though she's friends with everyone in the group.

band chemistry! you get your musicians and swirl them around in a flask over the bunsen burner and hope some magic happens.

Good things happen when she pairs with Coba, she breathes life to Ukigumo's songs, and good things happen when she pairs up with Pe'z or the Pimps.

Paired with Neko Saito, results may vary. please consult your doctor if serious illness occurs.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2009.07.22 at 02:20 PM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.22, 02:51 PM   #8
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

HS is what it is. If it's nothing else, it's ballsy. It's Shiina saying "I don't give a fuck. I'll do what I want." Theres maybe 2 or so songs worth listening to...some of which are pretty bad true. To be fair, we see the writing process in front of our eyes which probly is the real idea.No ones hunkering down crafting singles, its just a band jamming and making some sort of cohesion on seemingly a short deadline.

Its not exactly high on the list of must-haves, but I wouldn't say its as near to the bottom as you'd initially think.
Old 2009.07.22, 03:13 PM   #9
Scribble R

Well, I wasn't aware of the writing process.
Old 2009.07.22, 03:16 PM   #10
LoverlyBijouu

LoverlyBijouu pleased at least somebody

I like most of their songs.
There's only 3 or 4 tracks that are forgettable and uninteresting to me.
LoverlyBijouu is offline   Reply With Quote