Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2014.12.30, 04:16 AM   #581
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

When people talk about the greatest horror movies, nobody seems to mention the absolutely amazing 1981 movie "Possession". To this day, I have never seen anything quite like it. So bleak and yet so beautiful, it's quite the grim experience for anyone willing to give it the time it deserves.

I just watched the newly issued blu ray, and it hit me harder than it ever had before. I think being married now really pushes it's message home.The two main performances are as intense as it gets in cinema. I highly recommend to anyone looking for something truly unique. You may just get you mind blown.

A great article here sums up this masterpiece perfectly.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.30 at 04:20 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.30, 05:06 AM   #582
anonlurker

I'll give that a punt. I dread watching some of the horror crap waiting on my backlist.
Old 2014.12.30, 07:27 AM   #583
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Gotta love the Isabelle Adjani freakout scene in the tunnel. She was a world-class hysteric.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.03, 07:17 PM   #584
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I downloaded Possession uncut version, watched first 40 minutes, only saw some wife beating plus a pair of flat boobs...nothing happened so far, gonna finish later.

Watched horror movie Ximp, had potential, I am still confused by the plot... 2/5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s2175525.jpg (22.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Inseu : 2015.01.03 at 07:49 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.04, 04:04 AM   #585
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So, Hobbit 3 watched.

Overall, a decent enough trilogy. However, no real profound moments in the entire thing, sans the Smaug encounter in Desolation, which makes the third film seem all the more flimsy, seeing as the most interesting aspect of this trilogy is killed off with barely a hurrah.

The battle of the five armies quickly deteriorates and has no visible conclusion, just kill the boss scenario. I found this kind of weak compared to what we were served the first time round in Rings.

Jackson still hasn't lost his knack for the overly long, fade out after fade out ending style of Return of the King though. While some may complain about this, I still think it ties the two series together quite nicely, even if it does take liberties with the source material. But, as films go, it's still more exciting than the average.

Worth watching, probably worth repeat viewings. But it's definitely no Lord of the Rings either.
Old 2015.01.04, 11:18 AM   #586
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I really liked it, and actually found it the best part of the prequel trilogy. The over 2 I found way too padded out, with constant fake cgi mess fight scenes. Of course, this one had those too, but I liked how the majority of the actual battle focused on individual character moments, and the "final fights" so to speak did a good job of thematically tying together each character's arc.
I found that this one also had some really strong themes, about the right to rule, what it means to be a good ruler, how blind loyalty is bad, how loyalty and the ability to lead people must be earned through bravery.
It did kinda bother me that Smaug was killed so quickly, it was a weird sort of prologue that maybe would have worked better as the actual conclusion of the second movie.
I kind of like how it turned into a kill the boss scenario, because it focused on the individual characters, and each of the fights had something to do with the character development. I could go on and on for each of them, but I found almost all of them strong.
I feel this way because probably a lot of people view Alfred as a comic relief character, but the best kind of comic relief emphasizes the more serious themes, and his scenes all highlight the ideas about leadership and bravery and the corruption of greed. I think ultimately this is what it needed, strong thematic ideas to tie the somewhat flimsy story together.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.04, 11:36 AM   #587
Inseu

Thanks A LOT for the spoilers Sherlock!

Watched Tales From The Dark 1 & 2.
Old 2015.01.07, 04:16 PM   #588
deadgrandma

Kikis Delivery Service 2014

So I have just become aware that this exists.

....And I thought it was Hollywood's job to rape everything good from overseas :-p
Old 2015.01.07, 08:15 PM   #589
Inseu

Revisited Young & Dangerous saga, still hold up.
Old 2015.01.12, 06:55 PM   #590
Inseu

Watched Election 2, one of the best recent HK movies!