Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.04.20, 02:39 AM   #221
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

thats cool, thanks a lot! I have a really intense cd cleaner and an anti-static cloth I used to buff it clean, then I watched it and didn't notice any issues. perhaps if I was going to rip the audio from the dvd i might notice some distortion at the parts that are scuffed, but thanks to glanth I have good quality rips and the DVD is mostly for collectors sake (I hardly ever watch my tour dvd's, I spin them perhaps once when I get them and then maybe one other time in the 4-5 years I've had most of them, such as gekokujyo or electric moel). so I'm okay with it as it is, I just hope it doesn't cause me problems in the future.

you guys ever had something similar happen to you? I'm thinking what happened was there was dirt lodged on the cd tray and I must have rotated the disc cause a slight scuff.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 11:19 AM   #222
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

So TeslaGuy, what do you think of the "CD boiling" method to fix a scratched skipping CD? Is it safe? It was discussed on EMF awhile back but I've been too scared to try it out (afraid the boiling will ruin the label on the other side), even though I have a lot of scratched CDs!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.21, 03:05 AM   #223
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
So TeslaGuy, what do you think of the "CD boiling" method to fix a scratched skipping CD? Is it safe? It was discussed on EMF awhile back but I've been too scared to try it out (afraid the boiling will ruin the label on the other side), even though I have a lot of scratched CDs!
boiling a cd seems a bit dangerous pending the top layer. if anything perhaps boiling water and then soaking a rag and applying a heat compress to the scratched layer might sound better. I have this weird thing with submerging the cd in water...I don't know, I look online about scratches and there are a million and one remedies people swear by, how to fix it. I think the best way to fix a scratch is just take good care of your stuff and try and prevent it.

most people don't use cds/dvds nowadays anyways, its mostly digital. I like the archiving and the collecting so I usually buy a cd and check out the packaging, rip it to my computer, then put it away. dvds usually get played once or twice, which is why I was annoyed about zazen. I think I'm more annoyed that it isn't "perfect" than anything, considering it still plays without any hitches.

maybe we should make a mix cd, scratch it up, boil it, and see what happens.

I just googled some stuff and it seems most home remedies just screw it up even more. I think the general results are easily summarized by saying: the more you play with it, the more damaged it will probably become. if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.04.21 at 03:11 AM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.21, 04:07 AM   #224
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
maybe we should make a mix cd, scratch it up, boil it, and see what happens.
Bad idea. A 'mix' CD is a burnt CD. A burnt CD has a dye compound with bubbles boiled into it by a laser to resemble the pits of a commercially-pressed metallic CD (often aluminum - or an hybrid with silver). The metal has a much higher temperature tolerance. Even the "gold" or "silver" CD-Rs don't fare so well, because they simply use a dye compound made of the metal they advertise, rather than one solid sheet of the metal.

I don't pretend to scientifically understand the merits of boiling a CD/DVD, because I have never personally tried it. I can only say that if boiling water were ever going to work with anything, it would have to be a commercially-pressed disc. Though the water would make no direct contact with the dye compound of a CD-R like a laser would, the overall temperature of the disc could 'disturb' how well-defined the laser-induced bubbles on the disc are.
Old 2009.04.21, 04:37 AM   #225
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I have tried boiling a DVD. It was a computer game, and while it didn't appear to do any more damage, it didn't fix it either. I read that you're only supposed to boil it for 4-5 seconds. I've also read that gently rubbing toothpaste in circles works too.

Do you not know of a shop that has an industrial CD repair machine? There are a few near me, it's only £2.50 to repair a disc (I think it just scrapes layers off until it's smooth? I'm not too sure) and it worked for my Guitar Hero II
Old 2009.04.21, 09:18 AM   #226
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Boiling is not a good idea. First off, it can't do anything good. You will not approach the glass transition temperature of polycarbonate, which would need to happen if the goal was to "gently melt" scratches. Second, even if this temperature was reached, you risk warping the CD. Third, the label ink and lacquer layers could be really compromised, and if the aluminum substrate oxidizes, you CD is dead.

You don't want to do anything that affects the entire CD. The zone of interest is a fraction of a millimeter deep on the shiny side of the CD. Mild abrasives that are designed for plastics are the safest effective way to remove scratches.

TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.03, 10:28 PM   #227
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

My Luxury Night translation (lol, I bet NO ONE cares about this XD)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.04, 07:24 AM   #228
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I have boiled a lot of scratched/skipping DVDs and it worked 95% of the time. It doesn't remove scratches completely, and it can't fix scratches that are too deep, but I can testify that it turned many skippy discs into smooth playable discs. It NEVER damaged a disc or made it worse, even ones I boiled 5-6 times.

I have not ever tried it with CDs, though.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.04, 09:14 AM   #229
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Wow, I'd be really afraid. Anyways, aren't CDs more resistant than DVDs? I always thought DVDs are more prone to scratch easily.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.04, 02:03 PM   #230
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
My Luxury Night translation (lol, I bet NO ONE cares about this XD)
Thanks, frecklegirl! (I care!)