Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.11.14, 02:15 PM   #201
persfave

persfave pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'd rather have black bars than cropping.
I agree. But the videos were never cropped to begin with. The were presented as widescreen videos within a 4:3 frame. So the black bars on the top and bottom were actually part of the video. On a 16:9 tv, your set will then add bars to the side of the 4:3 image, basically presenting the widescreen video in the center of your screen inside a giant rectangular box.

The more recent videos are presented in true anamorphic widescreen.
persfave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.14, 03:30 PM   #202
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Alright, looking at these discs better (LiVE), on a 42" LED.

I'm kinda doubting much work went into these at all anymore, in the picture department.

Don't be buying if you expect waaaay better picture. Unfortuately, its not. Except for EXPO, which is in full 1080p
Senkou Extasy is near VHS quality picture wise, but sounds great and has a total of 5 (EXCELLENT) songs. A must see for hardcore fans.

I noticed GX isn't even fucking anamorphic. WTF is with that EMI? You assholes.

So a bit disappointed with picture.

However, if sound quality matters, all these are in 96khz/24bit. GX has never, ever sounded this good. EVEN HATSUIKU STATUS sounds fantastic.

Overall, I know a LOT of people are gonna be pretty disappointed with the transfers here. I was pretty wtf when I saw it on my TV. I still feel pretty ripped off in that department. What Lowe Digital actually did with these I don't know. But the sound quality is amazing, I think this is the area they've focussed on the most here.

Picture: 5/10- (Except for Expo- it looks and sounds like what we expect when we buy a blu ray.)
Sound: 10/10

To be said about the box: Its really simple and elegant, though its not completely white either. Has little engraved fingerprint designs on it if you look closely. The discs are all presented separately inside, in their own jewel cases.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.11.14 at 07:52 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.14, 04:27 PM   #203
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Now checking out GX properly... Umm... Wtf. Looks like the DVD. Better sound though.
Have you tried all the audio options available on the DVD? GX already had 1536kbps DTS. It isn't ideal for creating a standalone audio rip, but it's one of the best listening experiences I've had with a Shiina Ringo concert video.

What kind of audio does the blu-ray have?
Old 2013.11.14, 04:36 PM   #204
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Have you tried all the audio options available on the DVD? GX already had 1536kbps DTS. It isn't ideal for creating a standalone audio rip, but it's one of the best listening experiences I've had with a Shiina Ringo concert video.

What kind of audio does the blu-ray have?
Heh, I was editing when you quoted me. Anyway, answer you question: 96/24. The DTS track is still there too.
Old 2013.11.14, 05:19 PM   #205
deadgrandma

The 5 songs on Senkou Xtasy disc if anyone is interested.
Old 2013.11.14, 05:19 PM   #206
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I am excited for the possibility of better audio rips. That is all.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.14, 05:49 PM   #207
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
Most people probably won't be able to take advantage of it, because it's not like a CD remaster where you could already play CDs before, but now you're able to play a noticeably improved remaster on the equipment you already have.

The new audio is all 96kHz/24bit. Most portable players can't handle that. If you try to convert the audio to make it compliant with the player, then you lose most/all the improvement. So it's not as if we have "better MP3s than the old MP3s" to look forward to.
Old 2013.11.14, 07:36 PM   #208
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by persfave View Post
I agree. But the videos were never cropped to begin with. The were presented as widescreen videos within a 4:3 frame. So the black bars on the top and bottom were actually part of the video. On a 16:9 tv, your set will then add bars to the side of the 4:3 image, basically presenting the widescreen video in the center of your screen inside a giant rectangular box.

The more recent videos are presented in true anamorphic widescreen.
I see. That's disappointing. I didn't know that they were already letterboxed since I've only seen two classic Ringo PVs.

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
So it's not as if we have "better MP3s than the old MP3s" to look forward to.
Unless the audio has a new mix.
Old 2013.11.14, 08:10 PM   #209
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

"departing from inward office of exchange--Los Angeles"

Patience wearing thin......
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.14, 08:25 PM   #210
Glathannus
True Final Boss

^
Didn't you order from CD Japan?

FadedSun received his order from them, on the 12th.
HMV didn't ship my order out until the 13th.