Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2008.10.22, 03:18 AM   #51
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

*double-post*
(should be permitted after a month)

It's just been announced that 8 of Blankey Jet City's albums are being released in SHM-CD, after most of the normal CDs have been out-of-print for years. Release date is December 17th, 2008. All of these releases are limited edition, but coming from Blankey Jet City - that's really not unheard of. They've kept most of their CDs and DVDs throughout the years as limited, and reissued them in small (but still limited) batches. Usually it hasn't been so many of their albums/concerts at once.

For anyone who doesn't own many of the albums yet, this is a great opportunity. Just try not to take the SHM-CD hype too seriously - it's not worth replacing an original Blankey Jet City CD. If the first (or the only) thing you do with your CDs is rip them, and listen to your own high-quality MP3s/FLACs/whatever, or burn a copy for your car, then SHM will make zero difference. The 1s and the 0s on the CD (the laser either reflects off or it doesn't) are what dictate the inherent sound quality, and they are the same no matter what material the disc is made out of.

SHM can make a difference in expensive CD players, not because there's any hidden information, but because CD players are so stupid about how they read CDs. But the best CD player sound, isn't going to be better than the best computer sound. There are $15000 CD players, and while they may sound noticably better than $50 CD players, it's like producing a house of cards in chateau form - it is still a house of cards.

If you burn a copy of an SHM-CD, the CD-R will sound the same in any computer as the original SHM-CD in the same computer. At the end of the day, SHM is merely a CD that is easier for players to read, and carries no exclusive information.

The reasons to get excited about a slew of SHM-CD releases, are that:
1.) You know the albums were recorded & mixed properly the first time, because none of the SHM releases seem to be remasters. This means there's a very strong chance there won't be any CD "remasters" of Blankey Jet City later on. You buy the SHM-CD (or the non-SHM CD that came before it), and the rips or the burnt copies will be as good as you are ever going to get out of a CD - the SHM editions just happen to be the more accessible of the two choices right now.
2.) For roughly $200, you can now have 8 of Blankey Jet City's previously elusive albums, which is practically all of them.
Old 2008.10.22, 06:12 AM   #52
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I am going to try and get these ? I have nothing from the Blankey Jet City and these seem perfect to get the lot in one fell swoop!! hopefully I'll have enough cash together by the release date ? that's if they don't all get pre-ordered really fast ? we'll see I guess ?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.22, 10:53 AM   #53
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I can't speak for the other vendors, but I've noticed that most Asai Kenichi related rarities, don't disappear from CD Japan very quickly. The first-press of Kiken Siguru (debut single of his solo-career) sold out a week or two before the release date, then his "X2" albums (Rod Snake Shock Service and CHELSEA) sold out on first-press a week after release. All of his other first-pressings and limiteds have taken a much longer time to disappear - especially anything from SHERBETS.

Blankey Jet City releases in general, might be available in more limited of quantities than releases from all of Asai Kenichi's other bands, but I don't think there's going to be a buying frenzy for it either. There is a very strong chance those SHM-CDs of Blankey Jet City will still be available in January 2009. I'm not going to take any chances mainly because I'm getting very sick and tired of paying deputy service fees for things I've discovered early but hesitated on buying, or discovered late. In two years, Shopping Mall Japan has collected roughly two thousand dollars from me in commissions alone, and it's not that they charge too much for the service they provide - but that every little bit adds up.

The latest/upcoming SHERBETS album will also be available in SHM-CD. I already pre-ordered it over a month ago, but now I've added the Blankey Jet City SHM-CDs onto that existing order - this way my shipping fees are consolidated, plus I won't have to pay up until the middle of December. I'm going to be very tight this quarter of the year, mainly because of my big November shipment from HMV Japan.
Old 2008.10.22, 08:54 PM   #54
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Somehow, the only Asai Kenichi project I'm really enthusiastic about is AJICO. I can't stand his vocal and his personal style for long. The only songs I often skip on Fukamidori are the one that sound the most like his stuff - Freedom and Garage Drive.
I've tried 2 of his solo albums, the JUDE best-of... can't remember if there was anything from Sherbets but I'm kind of put off now. Is Blankey Jet City worth it? Or is it more of the same?
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.22, 11:19 PM   #55
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Another 4 Blankey Jet City limited edition SHM-CD releases have just been announced for December 17th. That's a grand total of twelve albums! I might have to work some overtime to keep up with all this.

For anyone who buys all 12 albums, there is a "Special Box" to hold them all!

Last edited by Glathannus : 2009.01.06 at 06:41 AM.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.04, 12:38 PM   #56
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Name:  monostereo6969-img600x450-1232874888xlom4k35811.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  44.0 KB

My latest treasure haul.
Old 2009.04.07, 03:52 PM   #57
zarya

YesAsia is having a Spring sale, and the Ajico Show DVD is only 8$USD !!! That's a great price for such a wonderful concert!

http://www.yesasia.com/us/ajico-show...0-en/info.html
Be quick if you want it, because they usually remove their price once a certain stock has been sold...
Old 2009.04.07, 04:05 PM   #58
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Thanks for the alert. I still have around $12 in store credit from when I tried to buy Stem a few years ago.
Old 2009.04.07, 06:01 PM   #59
zarya

The only thing I forgot to mention is that is the priced-down reissue that's on sale, not the original print.
Old 2009.04.07, 06:05 PM   #60
Glathannus
True Final Boss

I figured as much (because I hit the AJICO link and saw what else YesAsia was offering), but for $12 (what it cost me after the non-free shipping), I'm not going to complain. Singles cost me more than that. I already have a DVD ISO of Ajico Show, so I know that it's nowhere near nonstop action like Ringo EXPO 08 - but $12 to actually own it, doesn't feel like a waste of money.