Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.11.01, 07:15 PM   #1
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Default Help me identify Ringo's most enka-sounding songs

車屋さん (Kurumaya-san) is an obvious one, and what a gorgeous song!

What other Ringo songs sound enka to you?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.01, 08:15 PM   #2
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Kurumaya-san is a cover. of an enka song.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.01, 10:02 PM   #3
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yukiguni for sure, especially on JCHI. I think there was an interview where SR (or Izawa) admitted the vocals were inspired by enka
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 05:45 AM   #4
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Minato-machi Juusanbanchi and Kuruyama-san are both covers of Hibari Misora songs.

It also depends on how you define enka, because you can think "enka" but can mean any range of traditional/pop Japanese music styles (Kayoukyoku, Modern Enka, Traditional Enka, Ryuukouka, or even Minyou). I've heard people talk about Enka when they really mean something related but not the same.

Yukiguni uses kobushi method of singing (which is a type of vibrato) to a very minor degree. It's pretty much only noticeable on the last verse. "Onna ga mateba otoko wa damaru..." Also, no chorus (which again is typical of various types of Japanese folk but that doesn't necessarily mean a song with not chorus is reminiscent of Japanese folk).
Also, in case you didn't know, Yukiguni (the song) is based on Yukiguni (the novel, written by Kawabata Yasunari). Yukiguni is considered one of the most important novels of 20th century Japan. In that way, Yukiguni (the song) may be reminiscient of the narrative song tradition of Japan (roukyoku)

Kabuki-chou no Joou is definitely roukyoku-inspired. Its sense of storytelling is very typical of early Japanese pop music, as is the absence of a typical pop chorus. Kabuki-chou no Joou tells a story, and that is its primary purpose.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 12:21 PM   #5
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^Good info, thanks!

I was talking about modern enka/traditional enka. Something like this:

藤圭子

Many Ringo songs sound very kayoukyoku to me, but not enka enough!
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 01:05 PM   #6
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

After listening to early Ringo again, I find that she uses a little bit of kobushi-esque vibrato on several Muzai Moratorium songs.
It's very interesting, not a lot of modern pop/rock singers in Japan really grew up on enka, but I definitely think Ringo's singing style is influenced by both jazz and enka. The interesting thing about enka is that it serves a similar cultural role to chanson, and many enka artists covered chanson songs, and many chanson songs became jazz standards.
I'm not an ethnomusicologist, but I think enka, like Korean trot, is very influenced by jazz. So what we may hear as "jazz" in Ringo's music, such as in Heisei Fuuzoku, she may have enka in mind.

EDIT: Meisai definitely is one of her more enka sounding, especially the introductory bars. "Nee, issou touku shiranai machi ni..."

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.11.02 at 04:17 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote