Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.07.24, 09:37 PM   #91
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

Should have totally found this site before I went to Seoul. Now I've to pay more to get the CDs from YesAsia.
If you want the albums in the list at the site you linked, leave me a message. I think I can give you most songs in the list.
pariscombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.24, 10:38 PM   #92
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Feel_My_Mind View Post
Change was my secong big love song of Monkey majik ah ah ah

Around the world was my first one

Mmmm, Around the World, Change, and Fly. Fly has pretty simple lyrics, but the tune is enjoyable nonetheless.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.23, 10:16 AM   #93
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Does anyone know of a band with a guitarist that makes similar sounds as Uki? I used to not care about Hirama vs. Uki because I liked both phases as a whole and not based on their parts, but I have noticed that a lot of the things I like from phase 2 come from uki's cool sounds. So if anyone can point me anywhere I would appreciate it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.23, 10:28 AM   #94
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm hanging out with the Turning Gate dude this weekend. He's a great guy. Met him a few weeks back and we went to a Sogyumo Acacia Band / Fortune Cookie show in Hongdae. Both were fantastic bands. (And incidentally, both bands opened with songs about cats. That's pretty much all I know since my Korean is quite primitive.) Anyway, allow me to reinforce the recommendations on the above site. They're all pretty much great, and a lot of those albums have now materialized in my collection.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.24, 09:02 AM   #95
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Does anyone know of a band with a guitarist that makes similar sounds as Uki? I used to not care about Hirama vs. Uki because I liked both phases as a whole and not based on their parts, but I have noticed that a lot of the things I like from phase 2 come from uki's cool sounds. So if anyone can point me anywhere I would appreciate it.
Sugizo plays similar slides all over Luna Sea's songs, but we've already established that you don't like them. This is probably way off-base, but I suggest you look into some Motown, funk and country music. Queen and classic David Bowie may also be a good place to start.
Old 2007.08.24, 05:51 PM   #96
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Sugizo plays similar slides all over Luna Sea's songs, but we've already established that you don't like them. This is probably way off-base, but I suggest you look into some Motown, funk and country music. Queen and classic David Bowie may also be a good place to start.
Yea sugizo is pretty good, I liked his playing on The Flare as well but I did not like their music as a whole. As for the others, I definitely do not like country music. I like funk, but I don't think I have ever heard JUST funk, just mainly mixes of funk with other styles, so I guess I should look more into that. Motown i've heard and I like but I don't really have any of it so maybe I should go look into that. As for queen, I've heard some of their music and although I thought some songs were pretty good, I have not really looked into them. I have never heard anything from David Bowie, or at least not knowingly so I'll check him out.

Thanks for the recommendations, but since you said they were probably off base of what I asked I was wondering why did you recommend them?
Old 2007.08.25, 08:11 AM   #97
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ It really just depends on what you consider "cool sounds" to be. You didn't really specify what aspect you were looking for. So...

Slides and bends: Queen. Try stuff like Killer Queen and The March of the Black Queen.
Palm muted attack - funk music
Muted fast attacks - Various rockabilly artists like Brian Setzer/Stray Cats. Avoid the sub-genre psychobilly though since it's likely too punk for you.
Harmonics and other stuff: David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust
General tone: country music
Old 2007.08.25, 03:42 PM   #98
HEDOfloe

I really can't be specific because I really don't know the terms and how each sound is exactly made. But as for punk music, is My Chemical Romance considered punk? I like them, not too much but there are some songs I really like. But they are the only band like that I listen to. I think i'd listen to more punk if they had less annoying singers, although most if it now is pretty baseless crap.

The reason I asked why you recommended those things is because I'm not sure exactly what things you know that I like that you are using to base your opinion on. You said psychobilly is probably too punk for me, is that like "Psychobilly Freak-out"? Because I like that song. I know i've seen some people say that uki is good for country music, but I don't really see the connection and since I don't like country music at all I was unsure why you mentioned it. Do you mean that the guitar alone in country music is like uki? Because if so, I still wont listen to it because I don't like the rest of the sounds.
Old 2007.08.25, 04:38 PM   #99
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
But as for punk music, is My Chemical Romance considered punk?

No, not in any sense of the word.
Old 2007.08.25, 05:17 PM   #100
HEDOfloe

well, they don't just use three strings, but there is a lot of playing the same notes with the guitar in several parts of their songs so thats why I thought it could be called punk.