Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.28, 01:06 PM   #61
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

His violin sounds annoying. It's like an Uki tone thing to me. It sounds annoying. It's easily the worst part of both Meisai and Onaji Yoru.
Old 2009.04.28, 01:41 PM   #62
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

are you kidding me? his violin in both those songs are outstanding. there is no song in either without it.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 01:46 PM   #63
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

No, I'm not kidding. Onaji Yoru would have worked better with just guitar and Meisai was much better with the EM arrangement.
Old 2009.04.28, 02:14 PM   #64
kuro_neko

you can hear onaji yoru without the violin in several lives and I don't think it works nearly as well. meisai would also be nothing without the violion, it makes the track.
Old 2009.04.28, 02:16 PM   #65
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

On MM Onaji Yoru SR's voice and the violin complement each other in becoming more grating as the song goes on. It's like they are dancing. I think it's the point and I find it interesting. I like KSK Meisai too much to feel like dissecting it right now. HF Meisai was the same thing once too many times though, and it ends in a musical cliche (that wah wah waah waaah).
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 02:20 PM   #66
kuro_neko

yeah, I think the violin is played in such a way where it is almost matching ringo's vocals, like, they are dancing together like you mentioned. they both definitely share similarities and the violin draws your attention to it every bit as much as ringo's voice does to her, so it creates this tension when your listening. but that is what makes me enjoy the sound, being aware of all these things going on concurrently.
Old 2009.04.28, 02:24 PM   #67
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I always enjoy listening to that "wah waah waaah" part because it's like the rest of the instruments are saying "what a show off" to the violin that should have ended long before, like the rest of the group. It's completely silly, but it adds some feeling of watching a band/orchestra perform (a "live" feeling).
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 02:28 PM   #68
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

OK, I see your point! It just so happens that I went off and watched this live and yeah I totally don't mind that kind of thing in a live setting (not for Neko-phobes, is it Baishou Ecstasy?) Just regularly over my headphones if I'm being picky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opCgwuVWLdc

It's fun how SR dances off and so does the orchestra. Maybe you've seen this kind of joke before, but it's fun live.

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.04.28 at 02:34 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 03:13 PM   #69
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

That's one of the performances that proves the guy is probably as "artistically" crazy as Ringo herself. Or the Meisai PV.
But I'm still of the opinion that she shouldn't continue using him so intensely in her solo work. It has proven to be more limiting than expanding her sound.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 03:24 PM   #70
kuro_neko

neko is generally good at what he does, and his personality and style is a good match for ringo. but I agree that ringo shoudln't rely on him as such a crutch. HF was a double billed album, but it was all under ringo's control more or less. we take our dislike and pass it off onto neko because we don't want to face that ringo was to blame, but I think she enjoys working with him. I hope that his involvement in the new album is limited as well. I wouldn't mind his arrangements as long as they are not involving full orchestras. if ringo worked with new people from barbee boys and jazztronik for the b-side and ariamaru single, it would be a terrible disappointment to find the album largely neko influenced. a lot of artists fall into a similar slump, using the same people to produce and record an album. it can make for some typical results. gotta infuse it with some fresh blood, shake it up a bit. so here is