Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.06.30, 03:09 AM   #121
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

^ Yeah, while it might be Ringo's worst original album... it's not terrible.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.20, 03:09 AM   #122
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Yeah, like TJ I don't think we're really talking about "underrated" things but things we all agree are pretty great but just don't talk about enough.

Like Memai.
I totally agree with you on Memai. It's my #1 underrated song.

The craziest thing is that Memai is on the single next to Koko de kisu shite. When you listen to them back to back they are like chalk and cheese. Memai just has so much more depth and sophistication. The acoustic and piano playing together are fantastic. Was it just too far ahead of a time when she was releasing CDs everyone expected to be full of electric guitar?

Only that single and Zazen Extasy, as far as I know were the only two performances. Am I missing others?
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.20, 08:29 AM   #123
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by zee View Post
I totally agree with you on Memai. It's my #1 underrated song.

The craziest thing is that Memai is on the single next to Koko de kisu shite. When you listen to them back to back they are like chalk and cheese. Memai just has so much more depth and sophistication. The acoustic and piano playing together are fantastic. Was it just too far ahead of a time when she was releasing CDs everyone expected to be full of electric guitar?
lol What is this? It would have been on the same album (the first album even) as MaruSadi, Akane Sasu, Kiro Terasaredo... and Onaji Yoru. Memai definitely has more electric guitar than MaruSadi and Memai's is more prominent than the electric guitar in the other two songs.
Old 2016.04.20, 10:44 AM   #124
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Sakana is maybe my favourite song on SS. Maybe one of my favourite Ringo songs full stop. But it never really seems to come up in conversation here.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.20, 01:09 PM   #125
Maou

Originally Posted by K__ View Post
Sakana is maybe my favourite song on SS. Maybe one of my favourite Ringo songs full stop. But it never really seems to come up in conversation here.
It used to. It was a favorite of many of the posters who stopped posting years ago. It's a great song, but I don't like the sudden end. It'd would OK if Byoushou Public immediately cut it of, but the very brief pause makes it awkward. Still, I'd probably put it in the top third of the album.

That's the thing about MM/SS... There's so much good material from that era that it's hard to talk about it all. I mean, Ringo made a collection out of the "leftovers" that make up an equally strong album on their own.
Old 2016.04.20, 03:24 PM   #126
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
lol What is this? It would have been on the same album (the first album even) as MaruSadi, Akane Sasu, Kiro Terasaredo... and Onaji Yoru. Memai definitely has more electric guitar than MaruSadi and Memai's is more prominent than the electric guitar in the other two songs.
Fair enough, those songs are more mellow.
Heavy electric guitar are my dominant memory of MM/SS (admittedly two albums I haven't listened to in full for quite a while) so I was comparing Memai to the whole mood of the album rather than a couple of songs.
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.22, 12:39 PM   #127
Maou

Originally Posted by zee View Post
Fair enough, those songs are more mellow.
Heavy electric guitar are my dominant memory of MM/SS (admittedly two albums I haven't listened to in full for quite a while) so I was comparing Memai to the whole mood of the album rather than a couple of songs.
Kabukicho no Joou and Morphine are also light on electric guitars so 5/11 on MM go against your dominant memory. Memai is a pure MM song.

SS does match your memory well though. lol