Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.03.14, 10:35 PM   #11
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Hmm... great to see a shorter tracklist than ADP. Though I like pretty much every song on that album, I can never get through it all in one sitting.

I don't like the cover or the title and the tracklist doesn't really interest me. Though in saying that, I hardly like any Tori covers or titles. Just as long as the music is good!

(A little bit of background information on me and Tori: I only really got into her sometime last year because of ADP. I do like some of her older stuff, but I mainly just listen to ADP and a couple of older tracks here and there.)
Old 2009.03.15, 12:37 AM   #12
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah, in terms of peaking interest, there isn't a lot to be too excited at in the set list. I mean with ADP fever we got a lot of crazy things to speculate about with track names like Yo George and Fat Slut. This time around it much more toned down. This album, compared to her previous releases, is shrouded in a lot more secrecy. The ADP lead up was full of small leaks since her record label was putting 3 samples up on the web on one of those sample and rate sites to help pick the single, so people were sitting and listening to around 50 songs just to get to a clip of a new song (at the time Bouncing off Clouds, Big Wheel, and Secret Spell were on that site).

I got into Tori around Scarlet's Walk, so leading up to its release I bought her back catalogue and worked through each release, although it was very fast so i didn't appreciate each as fully as I would if I had sat and gone through each release in its proper release periods.

A week from today is the showcase in Texas where she will be debuting some new songs, although probably solo, but we get a preview of the new album.

If you like ADP I'd suggest you check out From the Choirgirl Hotel and To Venus and Back. Perhaps Strange Little Girls if you don't mind covers. Those are her most expansive, experimental, and "band" focused works. She actually concentrated on writing for other instruments first and then piano afterwords, first on Choirgirl, and then Venus was just a crazy experimental phase.

However, for this album a lot of people think we are getting backs to a more Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink piano-centric back to basics sound. The thing with Tori is she almost never repeats herself. I mean we went from TBK to ADP, so, who knows where we go from here.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.15, 07:29 AM   #13
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

oh, is it sharing time?
The details are kind of fuzzy because it was so long ago... I became a fan sometime between 1996-1998 (I feel old ). I actually remember having a love-hate relationship with her at first but I can't remember the reasons. Under The Pink is one of those iconic albums from my youth so I definitely favor her piano centric tracks the most. I kind of lost track of her after Choirgirl so I'm not half as familiar with post-choirgirl albums as I am with her early stuff. I really liked ADP, though.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.15, 03:56 PM   #14
merman

merman is an asset to this community

The first time I've ever read anything about her was a review of Boys for Pele in a gaming magazine of all places, and the guy (a veteran reviewer of said gaming magazine) couldn't praise it enough. So I kind of always wanted to check her out but didn't have the means, and she wasn't very much aired around here (except the Professional Widow remix which I didn't have a clue was actually a Tori Amos track)... fast forward ten years later, summer of 2006 and I've fallen in love instantly. But it was a somehow difficult time in my life, so the timing was just right. Guess I wouldn't appreciate her as much if she came before.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.15, 10:26 PM   #15
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

I bought From the Choirgirl Hotel on the summer following the release, because I didn't know where to put my baby-sitting money in, and found randomly a few good artists that way. I thought the cover looked cool, and I had heard praise for her before.

I really liked that album and since it was my first, it kinda became my reference album. Then I bought LE (loved, of course), UTP (never quite got into it for some reason!), BFP (Loved it too), and her subsequent albums when they got released, except for the Beekeeper which I still don't own. I saw her live for her Scarlet Tour too.
Still love her dearly, but I haven't gotten into any of her post FTCH albums as much as I did with her earlier ones.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.15, 10:47 PM   #16
kuro_neko

I go through my phases, I think we all definitely do. Every album has its strong points and weak points, and even albums like The Beekeeper, which as a lot of negative things said about, have gems on it. Sleeps with Butterflies is one of my favorite Tori tracks of all time. Her earlier work is a little homogeneous to me in a way, like I kind of group LE, UTP, and BFP in one group, and then each subsequent album following that is so radically different from one another they all are in separate groups.

If I had to just recommend one album I'd probably say FTCH since it is has a bot of old Tori and a bit of the (then) newer and more experimental Tori, so you can see where she was coming from and where she was going.

the guy who did the string arrangements for Tori on the new album, I forget his name, but he has done all of her strings for her since her debut, just commented on his blog saying that the new album is intense, wondrous, and emotional. He said he did 4 songs for her, 3 with a string octect, and another one where he arranged the entire song, synths and keys and strings and everything, all around Tori. So it should be quite interesting indeed.

edit: so this is what John Philip Shenale wrote on his blog about AATS

I wanted to xpand alittle on an email i received, asking about Tori’s new record “Abnormally Attracted To Sin” and my involvement .
I worked on 4 songs for the record.
All 4 of Tori’s creations , consumed me for the last 3 months of 08.
We used an octet for the string section on 2 songs ( 4 violins, 2 violas 2 celli.
Various synths, samplers, processes, Hammonds (A100 and solovox) and Wurly were used at times, played by Tori and me.
Tori played Bosy on 3.
Matt and Jon played on all 4.
One song i arranged the rythym section, keys and strings around Tori .
Then Matt and Jon added there magic later.
This process finished in Cornwall in December.
The ending of a wonderful record and an emotional year for me.
Well thats it for now.
I will put up more text and pics after the release.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.03.15 at 11:33 PM.
Old 2009.03.16, 01:39 AM   #17
merman

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I go through my phases, I think we all definitely do. Every album has its strong points and weak points, and even albums like The Beekeeper, which as a lot of negative things said about, have gems on it. Sleeps with Butterflies is one of my favorite Tori tracks of all time. Her earlier work is a little homogeneous to me in a way, like I kind of group LE, UTP, and BFP in one group, and then each subsequent album following that is so radically different from one another they all are in separate groups.
She herself has said that after BFP, she felt like she closed a door (or something along those lines) and that she considers the first three records a trilogy. Hence probably the change of sound on FTCH, which I'd probably recommend for starters as well (it was the first Tori album I've heard, after Tales)
Old 2009.03.16, 10:22 AM   #18
kuro_neko

really? never heard that, but that makes a lot of sense, that is kind of how I felt in a way...ringo should take note from her ;;cough cough cough;;

according to someone at Universal (supposedly) this album is going back to its roots, they compare it to UTP and FTCH. I think that is just bs based on the cover and track titles. Apparently the guy who did Comic Book Tattoo, Rantz, will be at the music conference on a panel and will be breaking epic news relating to Tori that will make "comic fans crap themselves." Either this means they are going to unveil a new comic project for Tori, ala Comic Book Tattoo Volume 2, or it is has direct relevence to the new album. I'm going to be gone until friday night but you can expect all news to break on www.undented.com on thursday night and audio rips of her performance both thursday and friday to hit the web sometime friday afternoon.
Old 2009.03.16, 12:20 PM   #19
merman

Here is the whole quote... just because she talks about her work so beautifully.

"Well, you know there are no victims, that's where I sit now. The journey from Little Earthquakes through Pink to Pele has been really a claiming of womanhood. And I kind of see these records as a trilogy. They work together. And this final record was about me embracing my womanhood. I call it the boy record, which means it's the womanhood record because it was really through the men in my life, what they didn't give me in some cases, which forced me to give it to myself. And they couldn't give it to me, just like I couldn't give it to them. I couldn't give them their fire, and they couldn't give me mine... I was dying. I don't care how many sold-out concerts I had. I was dying." [Everybody's News (Cincinnati) - May 31, 1996]

Ahem, don't UTP and FTCH sound completely different? I always love it when a new album is compared to random two from the past and in the end it sounds totally different anyway. It's the same with comparing musicians to other random ones, like comparing every second female musician that is just a little bit extraordinary to Kate Bush. I wish people would stop needing to compare everything all the time and just see people and their work as individual entities.

EDIT:

New song.
Welcome to England

Last edited by merman : 2009.03.18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 2009.03.18, 11:51 PM   #20
kuro_neko

yeah, it seems that the radio station Tori is doing the luncheon show on Friday was given Fire on your Plain, Welcome to England, and 500 Mile radio edits, along with a few other select people (apparently she gave out about 10 copies by hand after arriving in Austin) and they have been airing them about very selectively the past few days. A boot of both Welcome to England (above) and Fire on your Plain (you can get it on youtube easily) are floating around. They aren't leaks because they are officially being aired on the radio. I think they are doing this to start the press going, and these free are probably the most commercial of the bunch, its fair to say they will use one o these for the official first single, and also that we will hear them at the live shows tomorrow and friday. I guess I get the UTP and FTCH reference although I don't agree. Production wise, since it is a lot of layering and synths, people are bound to say its similar to FTCH, and where the Pink comparisons are coming from, I have no idea. I think it has to do with the cover and people refusing to let their biased opinions based on the image go once they hear the actual music.

Either way I'm trying to avoid listening to them. So that means one time as they are aired or so and then I wait for the cd. I will download the live shows but I want to the studio tracks to be (mostly) new.