Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.08.22, 11:39 AM   #31
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

yeah, and then wear a different, but similar, set of blinders
Old 2012.10.22, 09:24 PM   #32
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Any updates? I'm feeling underwhelmed by this year in music (though 2011 is looking better than it did at the time as I discover things I missed then, so perhaps the same is due to happen for 2012).
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.22, 09:45 PM   #33
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

If you by any chance like Converge then you should be all over their new beast. It's ass tearing.
Old 2012.10.23, 06:08 AM   #34
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

What albums of last year are you enjoying more, Superfician?
Old 2012.10.26, 07:43 AM   #35
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
What albums of last year are you enjoying more, Superfician?
Nothing I haven't mentioned excessively already. Just: Company of Thieves and Yamantaka//Sonic Titan. I thought the latter was going to get a U.S. release this year, so I could count it as 2012 on a technicality if that happens, but either way, it was originally released last year. Sorry to make it sound more extensive than that.
Old 2012.10.26, 07:58 AM   #36
Tokyo Jihad

For 2012, check out Hospitality's self-titled, David Byrne and St. Vincent's Love this Giant, Melody's Echo Chamber (the song "I'll Follow You" is killer). The North by Stars you might dig, the band Quilt put out an EP early this year you might like. Maybe you'll like Alt-J's An Awesome Wave, digging this album. La Sera's Sees the Light isn't psychedelic, but its jangly girl pop that's reminiscent.

EDIT:btw, super upset I'm just hearing Yamantaka//Super Titan. Kicks ass.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.10.26 at 08:09 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.26, 09:28 AM   #37
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
For 2012, check out Hospitality's self-titled, David Byrne and St. Vincent's Love this Giant, Melody's Echo Chamber (the song "I'll Follow You" is killer). The North by Stars you might dig, the band Quilt put out an EP early this year you might like. Maybe you'll like Alt-J's An Awesome Wave, digging this album. La Sera's Sees the Light isn't psychedelic, but its jangly girl pop that's reminiscent.
I like the Hospitality album to an extent, but not quite enough to consider it a favorite. I do like "Eighth Avenue" quite a bit. But it's one I'm willing to check out some more. St. Vincent has never clicked for me, though I can understand why people like her. Just checked some Alt-J and wasn't really into what I heard. The other things I don't think I've heard at all (maybe something by La Sera?).

EDIT:btw, super upset I'm just hearing Yamantaka//Super Titan. Kicks ass.
Glad you like YT//ST. It seemed like something that would appeal to you. I've been a little surprised at the silence about them on this board.
Old 2012.10.26, 02:29 PM   #38
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Love This Giant - more of a Byrne than St. Vincent record, other than her excellent guitar work. B to B+ range.
La Sera's Sees the Light - Bangles/Go-Go's run through a post-punk/garage filter. A-
Amanda Palmer's Theater is Evil - the most accessible and likeable she's ever been. Even if you hate her, give this one a try. Do It With a Rock Star and Mass Ave are really good pop songs. B to A-.

Martha Wainwright - Proserpina is an amazingly emotional single.
The xx's Coexist - More of the same, which is still good.
Aimee Mann - consistently good.
Deerhoof's Breakup Song - right up my alley, but YMMV.
Fiona Apple - One of the most emotionally raw albums I've heard in a while.
Kimbra - good indie pop, unexpected good blue-eyed neo-soul.
Esperanza Spalding - Great adult contemporary and neo-soul. Not really jazzy enough for me.

Decent:
Norah Jones - other people seem to convince themselves that she is boring and THEN listen to her. I don't find her boring at all, and the Danger Mouse production makes this a sonically interesting album.
Santigold - Disparate Youth is amazing, but I always love her hip-hop style songs more than her indie rock styled ones otherwise. You always just want her to push a little further, but her songs aren't in your face enough even if she sings them with attitude.
Rufus Wainwright - even Mark Ronson production couldn't save a songwriter who's niche is bringing operatic pretension to pop music.
Regina Spektor - has none of her sardonic wit or funny sarcasm, this is pretty much the most mainstream pop thing she has done.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.10.27 at 05:02 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.26, 04:21 PM   #39
Superficial Fan

TurtleFu, have you heard the new Neneh Cherry? I know maybe it sounds a bit funny talking about Neneh Cherry in 2012, but what little I heard of it sounded pretty decent. Should be jazzy enough for you (maybe too jazzy?), at least the part I heard, which admittedly wasn't much of it. It's not really something I'm in the mood for at the moment, but you might like it. I will probably give it another try.
Old 2012.11.01, 04:25 PM   #40
Superficial Fan

Hospitality has a new 7" (which I experience as something to stream on Spotify) The Drift/Monkey. It's pretty good on first listen. I think I like The Drift a bit more because the guitar on Monkey is just too "wait, is this 1981?" for me, and The Drift has more of the twisty-turny quality I like in some of their other songs.

Here's an in studio performance so you don't have to make sense of my twisty-turn post-jaded descriptions:

Hospitality - Monkey
I think the 7" version is better, a bit crisper.

Wait did this just come out or did I only just discover it?

Edit: And I just listened to this album again, and I just can't endorse it completely. It has too many of the weaknesses of indie rock in general.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2012.11.01 at 05:42 PM.