Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2011.05.16, 07:37 AM   #1
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Chieko Kinbara (strings)

This thread is about 金原千恵子 (Chieko Kinbara), who is responsible for the strings in Akane sasu, Tadashii Machi, Kyogenshou, among others.

Japanese wiki page

Her own music is quite interesting. It's based on club jazz (think DJ Kawasaki, Kyoto Jazz Massive) with elements of rock guitar and her signature violins of course.

Chieko Kinbara - Stay With Me (Jay-J Shifted Up Mix)

^ Pretty generic club jazz, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Chieko Kinbara - If you only

^ This one is a little more deep house.

And this one is a little crazy on the rock guitars
Chieko Kinbara - Strings of Life

And another, more contemplative
Chieko Kinbara - Optical
Old 2011.05.16, 01:37 PM   #2
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Obviously a very cool lady. That first track is really good stuff, key change for the chorus which is a nice touch, and I'm taking notes on stuff like that for when I get around for making the soulful house track I bought Reason for one day and never got around to making...

She has two four albums on Spotify so I'll try them out when I'm in the mood for this kind of thing, usually late at night.

Strings of Life is a cover of a very famous house (Detroit techno) track by Derrick May as Rhythim is Rhythim. Yes it sounds very late 80s, but it's a fun bit of music history nevertheless.

Derrick May - Strings of Life

In SR land, it's good to see someone whose contribution doesn't overtly draw attention to itself getting some praise, and she is billed as a guest musician rather than just a session musician. I remember someone posting that Kyougenshou was underrated because like the other Track 1s there was some kind of propelling urgency or desparation about all of them, and in that song's case there's an interestingly dissonant string arrangement that lends a lot of that desperation and is very much part of the hypermodern metropolitan feel of the song.

And now I'm listening to it, who invents solos like Susumu Nishikawa... He's a hero.

Originally Posted by justriiingo
club jazz
I have no idea where the very subtle point where "club jazz" end and soulful house begins... All this stuff is house to me. Taking Japanese examples, Jazztronik is the former, KJM is in the middle and DJ Kawasaki is the latter? I don't know how I'm coming out with that though.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.05.21 at 03:46 PM. Reason: just realised I've actually used the word "hypermodern". and that makes me sound like a media studies lecturer. whatever
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.16, 07:59 PM   #3
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yeah you're right. Chieko Kinbara is definitely more soulful house than club jazz... I just didn't think of that term at the point of writing.

I'd say anything with a very obvious 4/4 beat, I'd classify it under soulful house.

Anyway, I don't know why SR would choose Saito Neko over her. Perhaps she's way too restrained and is not into orchestral stuff.
Old 2011.05.17, 09:03 AM   #4
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
And now I'm listening to it, who invents solos like Susumu Nishikawa... He's a hero.
Kyogenshou actully wasn't Nishikawa. It was Yukio Nagoshi on that track. Nagoshi played Kyogenshou, Tsuki ni Makeinu, Honnou, Yokyou, and Tamatebako for Ringo. He also played during the Ringo Expo and some of the SG era TV appearances.

I like the minimalist approach in SR's music. Definitely prefer just Kinbara and her group over the full-on Saito orchestra. Hell, just over Neko period.
Old 2011.05.17, 09:49 AM   #5
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I like the minimalist approach in SR's music. Definitely prefer just Kinbara and her group over the full-on Saito orchestra. Hell, just over Neko period.
Probably because it's an uphill battle for an orchestra to be involved with anything genre-defying. The more orchestral recordings that Shiina Ringo makes beyond KSK, the less consistently she defies genres (it happens, but it's increasingly rare).