Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.08.24, 10:05 PM   #1
ROCKET

ROCKET pleased at least somebody
Smile Our feelings for Ringo's music

I'm not new here, just been a lurker, not posting anything in ages, but nevermind...

I don't know if there is a post about it already. Looked through the first two pages and found nothing, so here it goes...

I see you all talk about releases, criticism on Ringo's work, her personal life, etc, but what if we could talk about our feeling for her music?

I mean, we could use this thread to talk about what songs of her are special for us and why, lines in her lyrics that have some personal meaning, hard times in life that her music helped, or interesting situations that happened while listening to her music, memories that come to mind while listening to her, etc..

Feel free to enjoy this idea. Sorry if I'm bothering you guys and girls.
ROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.25, 03:57 AM   #2
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

another brazilian /o/
welcome
you're not bothering
and I don't know if we have another thread like this o.o
I'll post something decent when I rembember... but nowadays I usually listen to her music when I know I'm gonna pass for a difficult sittuation, so I listen to MM/SS/KSK/B-sides/kyouiku nonstoply to distract me O_O
it works
I start to sing along and forget all the stress /o/

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.25, 09:43 AM   #3
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Not really got any magical memories attached to the music except Koufukuron because it reminds me of when I was a kid. Just like Lena said I also listen to everything up to Kyuoiku cause it's just awesome 99% of the time and even now continues to be great! I guess you were probably looking for great stories and stuff but I don't have any like that so for me I just listen to that part of her catalogue cause it rocks.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.25, 10:03 AM   #4
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I also don't got any 'magical memories' in the "I lost my virginity to Souretsu" or "I was standing on the edge of my roof contemplating suicide when my Aozora ringtone played and made me take a step back" sense. I've only been a fan since late 2007.

I will say that Ringo's old music clicked with every aspect of my personality. I've grown up listening to a lot of great music, but God designed me with Morphine playing in the background.

If she was a lover, she would be "The One." Although lately, she's been exposing the idea of "The One" as the mythical claptrap it is.

Edit: (No, I'm not one of those fans)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.25, 01:30 PM   #5
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Welcome to the forums, ROCKET! Always nice to have new members!

Like Scribble R, I've only been a fan since late 2007 but that is going on two years now so I can say that I've liked her for a little while. I attach some sentimentality to Ringo's music that I'm sure other people might be able to relate to. I don't really attach a lot of sentimentality to her lyrics (though I do like them) but the music itself has affected me in some way. When I first listened to certain songs, I was doing something special at the time.

The first time I heard Kabukichou no Joou, I had called in sick for work and was feeling too awful to even get out of my room. I listened to this song on repeat and it brings me back to a day where I didn't have to go in to work and was free of responsibility. Even though I felt physically terrible at the time, I can remember this song taking my mind off of that.

Kyogenshou reminds me of the first time I ever listened to Shiina Ringo in CD form and it was just before me, my sister, and my friend went out driving on a summer day. That image sticks with me whenever I listen to the song.

The first time KSK wowed me was when I listened to Shuukyou in its entirety on my lunch break in my car. And I'll never forget how, seeming to synchronize with the music, the sun peered through the clouds during the "mellow" segment of the song (I kid you not). So that had a huge impact.
I actually ssociate most of Shiina's first two albums with my old job and listening to them in my car. That just happened to be a KSK memory. Those were good times.

KSK, itself, reminds me of life in Mission Viejo when I still lived there with my parents. I remember that was a time when I was also still dating my girlfriend and her grandma was in the hospital. So I'd always drive all the way down to Whittier just to see her. Life seemed a lot simpler then. Though I guess we always look at the past more fondly, don't we?

I can remember driving home at 3 in the morning to Doppelganger and Souretsu playing. Like some of Ringo's early music brings to mind images of Shinjuku, KSK reminds me of driving along the I-5 North past Irvine, Santa Ana, Anaheim, and Cerritos late at night. Doppelganger was meant to be played when you're in a car driving through the rain at 70+ mph. It gets the adrenaline pumping in a way that the comfort of your home just won't do!

The Expo version of Yokyou reminds me of when I was getting all of my things packed in a truck and was ready to move away with my sister. It felt like the end of something and the beginning of something else. There was no telling where Ringo's career was going to go from here and my thoughts mirrored that perfectly. Part of me still longed to stay where I was but I also knew I had to go out and make it on my own. Yokyou is a new beginning and of all of her songs, that is the one that makes me the most emotional. It's about letting go. It was the realization that my life isn't going to be the same and I'm going to have to make new memories. Like Yokyou signifying the end of Expo and the first 10 years of her career, my 10 years in Mission Viejo were now over. Yeah, it's that close. So Yokyou makes me think of the good 10 years I had and looking forward to tomorrow, not knowing what it's going to be but facing it anyway. I will always remember Ringo looking triumphant after belting out that last note and leaving the stage. I won't say it changed my life or anything but I would be lying if I didn't say that it helped me get through that time a little bit. It's funny how Sanmon Gossip came out right when I settled in where I am now too. So I'm beginning another 10 years just like how the queen herself is. Let's hope they're good ones!

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. Think you can beat my post, Glath?
Old 2009.08.25, 05:00 PM   #6
ROCKET

Well, thanks for all your posts and welcome messages, people. Actually, I had the idea of this thread after I watched a movie called "All About Lily Chou-Chou" (some of you guys probably have already watched it). It is about two boys who go on opposite directions in their lives, and one of them is a die-hard fan of the fictional singer Lily Chou-Chou (voiced IRL by Salyu). So he takes part on an internet forum where people talk about their feelings for her music. In the beginning of the movie Ringo is even mentioned. You should check it out.

Osiris, your post was pretty intense. I liked so much your stories, but also liked what the other people posted here (though it was not so detailed, but doesn't matter, of course ). As Lena-Chan, I also tend to listen to Ringo music during hard times, but there are a few songs that I would like to mention:

Unconditional Love / Gibbs: I associate this couple of songs to a crazy trip I made to a far far land. Well, when I was into high-school (like 8 years ago) I was deeply in love with a girl who didn't like me. She was afraid of me because I was the typical highschool punk, and she was the fragile japanese girl who was raised in a severe and traditional family. No match here. So, kind of recently, I came to find her in the Internet. We started to talk, and this time she felt very pleasant with me. It came to a point that I did the craziest thing ever: traveled to meet her in an expensive and long trip (because now I live in a city located in the south of Brazil, and she lives in the north). So, I stayed there for only 3 days, and every time I listen to these two songs (specially Unconditional Love) I remember the scene of us watching the sunset at the bay area, listening to it on the ipod while I was holding her small body with my left arm and holding the ipod with the left hand, kissing each other while Ringo sang "put your arms around me nooooow". It is a really special memory, even more if you consider it is a totally impossible relationship and came to be a 3-day-stand.

Kenka Joutou: The whole song reminds me of my first ex-girl friend and the anger I felt for her when we were at the end of the relationship. "Sick so sick of you, and I hate you" - LOL!

Kyogenshou: I tend to associate these lyrics to Ringo's experience while living overseas (in England). She talks about her "fish-eyed friends", and I just can accept that she is talking about occidental people. Her singing gives me that intense feeling of someone who knows the struggles of living for some time in a far away land from its hometown, in a mix of joy, new experiences, and suffering and - in portuguese - "saudade" (when you miss something/someone a lot). Since I've been through experiences like this, I associate this song to those kinds of thoughts.

Yukiguni: I bought the book The Land of Snow just because of this song, since I love it, as I love the video from Just Can't Help It. It is a really good story, with captivating characters. So, everytime I listen to the song, that whole story comes to mind now.

I think it is ok for now. If some more people post here, maybe I can remind of other songs and memories later... Sorry for writing too much!!

Last edited by ROCKET : 2009.08.25 at 06:34 PM.
Old 2009.08.25, 06:01 PM   #7
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

ROFL i loved the kenka joutou feeling

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.26, 03:50 AM   #8
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

hey rocket (do you like pokemon's team rocket? LOL) I live next to you /o/
Balneário Camboriú
I have lots of friends in your city °o°
Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I also don't got any 'magical memories' in the "I lost my virginity to Souretsu"
@_@
hmmm... I used to make sex listening to SR/TJ, I lost my virginity to sounan or yokushitsu (I don't remember exactly >_<)
and I remember one day I was very sad, and when I went to RJ forums everyone was crazy cause suddenly there was a video of domestic virgin line tour, so I watched to souretsu and every drop of sadness turn into hapiness *o*

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.26, 04:32 AM   #9
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
hmmm... I used to make sex listening to SR/TJ, I lost my virginity to sounan or yokushitsu (I don't remember exactly >_<)
Wow.

I can see how both songs are suited to having sex, though.

Yokushitsu: Dun, dun, dun, dudududun, dun, dun, dun.

Sounan: TSUI ni kowashite. chaku chiten. NINSHIKI konnan. Ochite Iku (Iku, iku, iku)

Maybe that was a tad tasteless.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.26, 11:59 AM   #10
ROCKET

Hey Lena. Nice to know you live kinda near me. =) Well, I'm not really into the "japanesque community" of the town. I only know a few people, most of them from a j-rock cover band (Aizou).

Would you like to chat via MSN? Ringo Army unite!

Speaking about my username, it is no because of Pokemon (I don't like Pokemon, haha). It was an old nickname I got when I started listening to japanese music, more or less 8 years ago. It is because of hide's song "Rocket Dive".

By the way, pretty nice to lose your virginity listening to Shiina Ringo, uh? My soundtrack for that was Aerosmith, as far as I remember.

www.myspace.com/maximauze