Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2013.07.18, 03:02 PM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Overrated.

Albums, individual tracks, live performances, whatever -- what works do you just 'not get?'

(or any aspect of SR that people (EMF or outside) are drawn to that you don't really care for)

*Gips. This song does not do anything for me. Sure, Ringo performs it in her Ringo style, and she always gets bonus points for that in my book -- but she also sings, I dunno, Fukushuu in her Ringo style and I'd much rather listen to that.

* Muzai Moratorium, Shouso Strip and KSK forming some holy trinity. Shouso Strip and KSK function as more of a duology (?) to me. MM is the most all-round album of them all, and would be the best SR album to take to a treasure island if you had to choose one, but tbh, I do prefer a lot of Jihen music to what's on MM.

*Domestic Virgin Line. Society of the Citizens Volume 1 and Just Can't Help It are better. I can't explain why it doesn't do anything for me. It's just incredibly boring (listening to MP3 rips), sans Souretsu
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 05:21 PM   #2
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Tsumi to Ato
Whinyyyyy... Seriously, I showed this to a friend once, and he said "What is that Japanese chick WHINING about!?"
If Courtney Love came out with this track people would HATE IT

Koko de Kiss Shite
Koko de Alanis Morisette knock-off (coming from an Alanis fan, mind you). It's one of the emptiest, most calculated radio-friendly song she's written, I'm surprised it didn't end up being a Jihen song.

Parts of Shouso Strip
Is it a great album? Sure. Is it also really REALLY derivative? Hell yes. Gips is a Nirvana cover. A bad one. Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Oasis, Nirvana, it's a "this band was popular during the 90's!" pastiche.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 05:38 PM   #3
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Gonna ignore this thread if I have to read the word "pastiche" again.

Also the last thing I ever have in my mind when I hear Gips is Nirvana. I also think the live acoustic version by Jihen is probably better.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.18 at 05:43 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 05:49 PM   #4
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I have to say, Gips sounds like no Nirvana song I have ever heard. Radiohead or even Oasis, as Turtlefu deduced, is far more accurate.
Old 2013.07.18, 07:01 PM   #5
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Tsumi to Ato
Whinyyyyy... Seriously, I showed this to a friend once, and he said "What is that Japanese chick WHINING about!?"
If Courtney Love came out with this track people would HATE IT

Koko de Kiss Shite
Koko de Alanis Morisette knock-off (coming from an Alanis fan, mind you). It's one of the emptiest, most calculated radio-friendly song she's written, I'm surprised it didn't end up being a Jihen song.
Tsumi to Ato? is it a mashup of Tsumi to Batsu and Yume no Ato? I'd love to hear that

I agree about Koko de being radio-friendly, it was never one of my faves of her. but it's in no way sounds like any Alanis song I've heard

talking about overrated, Dynamite Out is the most obvious example as I never was a big fan of this concert really. Hirama is using way too much distortion even in songs that don't need distortion, Ringo's voice is a bit too shrill and HZM isn't that much better than Izawa really. sure, there's some great stuff in there, but overall I think JCHI, Domestic Virgin and even Ultra C were better concert. I even prefer phase 2's performances of the Kyoiku songs over the phase 1's
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 07:31 PM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
HZM isn't that much better than Izawa really.
And you're basing this on...
Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
Dynamite Out
Did you forget about Electric Mole?
Old 2013.07.18, 07:32 PM   #7
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Ah, the HZM vs. Izawa argument again.

Nowadays I can't decide who I like/dislike better.

HZM is more aggressive/freestyle but likes brickwalled sound too much (evident in everything I've heard from him).

Izawa is far more technically superior but likes the sound of himself too much (see almost every Jihen song with him in it and try to hear anyone else's instrument.)

I guess it all ends on looking at their current predicament:

I'd say H Zett M albums garner more interest than Appa albums (both have abysmal sales compared to when they were in Jihen though)... but:

At least Izawa didn't make a vocaloid album *yet* :-p

Take your pick. Neither are particularly better off now that Jihen are gone.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.18 at 07:58 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.19, 12:17 PM   #8
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I don't even know or understand what is going on in this place anymore. I'm convinced half of this is some elaborate joke.

Oh and Naturally Shrill Ringo >>>> Overly Compressed Ringo
Old 2013.07.19, 12:32 PM   #9
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Chin Play Kou Play was a great argument for putting JCHI over Dynamite Out! in terms of Ringo performances. While I wouldn't go that far, there's no denying the energy she put into JCHI that only came out here and there in DO. I do think DO is overrated, but that's like saying the Sphinx is overrated compared to the Pyramids. It's not the Pyramids, but it's still a frickin' monument.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.20, 08:11 AM   #10
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Izawa is far more technically superior but likes the sound of himself too much (see almost every Jihen song with him in it and try to hear anyone else's instrument.)
It's funny you say that because I do sense slight douche-y vibes from Izawa. But it could be just my imagination!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote