Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.09.09, 08:26 AM   #31
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I like how Yayoshi played an arpeggio during the chorus and let Ringo handle the chord work. No need for two guitars playing the same thing in the song.
Old 2010.06.03, 05:41 AM   #32
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Watching Gekokujyou Xstasy with my new 5.1 system. Neat!
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.03, 06:06 AM   #33
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^ Just remember to set the the GX audio to DTS, if your new system supports it ^
It sounds a lot thicker and fuller and more atmospheric than the Dolby. I don't think you even have to be an audiophile to hear the improvement.

Oh, and there's a little bit of DTS on the Heisei Fuuzoku DVD too.
Old 2010.06.03, 08:37 AM   #34
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh wow, I didn't know, Gekokujyou even had DTS... I'm definitely no audiophile, but you're right the differnece is very obvious.
Thanks!

I already checked out the HF DVD DTS stuff... salle de bain was the best in my opinion.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.03, 09:05 AM   #35
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

You can think of the inclusion of the DTS as compensation for the not-so-great video quality. Or, you can think of the not-so-great video quality as the cost of including DTS.

DTS itself does not mandate that the associated video quality must go down, but the DVD standard has a maximum bitrate on all included audio/video options combined. Even if a concert were only 15 minutes and even if there would be plenty of unused space on the disc while bundling great video quality with the DTS, a studio would still be breaking the DVD standard by including both. So EMI had to lower the video quality in order to include DTS, even if they would have wanted to have to get the best of both worlds.

So in my philosophy, anyone who watches GX without DTS would be cheating themselves out of "the experience", not because "DTS is the best audio and you should always be listening to whatever is the best", but because you the observer have "paid" for the DTS with the video quality as the price, whether you want the DTS or not. If the video quality is degraded anyway even if you choose not to listen to the available DTS, then by not listening to DTS you would be experiencing less total audio/video quality out of GX than the other concert DVDs - where the better video quality anyone can access wasn't sacrificed for an elite audio format only some people can access.

Once you understand this whole situation, you can start to see why they haven't included DTS in anymore of the concert DVDs. It makes a majority of fans get a downgraded experience - while the minority who can actually access the DTS, breaks even.

I'm just saying, even if people aren't committing some crime against the universe by watching GX with Dolby Digital, the DTS experience is still something the fans owe themselves. Dolby Digital doesn't make you less of a fan - listening to it on GX only means you aren't taking what's yours.

Last edited by Glathannus : 2010.06.03 at 09:45 AM.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.17, 10:17 PM   #36
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Very late response, but Glath, you wouldn't have a pic of the first press glowing in the dark? I'd love to see that. I'm a peasant and only own normal version :-(

Also, I think PCM 2.0 is still best way to go with music anything
Old 2011.10.14, 10:20 AM   #37
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Also, I think PCM 2.0 is still best way to go with music anything
Yeah I'm late, but I haven't been around so...

I prefer 5.1 for lives. I like the surround speakers being reserved for the crowd noise while the front three get a slightly better mix. Ringo's guitar often gets lost in the mix when it's only 2.0 stereo.