Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.07.12, 06:22 PM   #21
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

Tsumi to Batsu is my favorite Shiina song ever. I'm reading Crime and Punishment now thanks to the song, and I actually like the book a lot, I'm about half way through it now.

I even entertained the idea of getting the kanji for tsumi to batsu on my wrist as a tattoo, but kanji tattoos are kinda lame so I decided not to.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 08:22 PM   #22
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
Tsumi to Batsu is my favorite Shiina song ever. I'm reading Crime and Punishment now thanks to the song, and I actually like the book a lot, I'm about half way through it now.

I even entertained the idea of getting the kanji for tsumi to batsu on my wrist as a tattoo, but kanji tattoos are kinda lame so I decided not to.
i think Kanji tatoos are only lame if you have no idea what they say.. lot's of people i know have tatoos in arabic and they have no idea what it is.. that's lame but if it's something that means something to you then it's pretty cool i think ?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 08:26 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

i think its lame knowing what it means. Why not just write it in english?
Old 2008.07.13, 12:18 AM   #24
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Write what in english? The song's name is in japanese. Writing the translation "Crime and Punishment" wouldn't direct anyone to the song, but probably to the Dostoyevsky book.

I agree with ringobingo, as long as we know what it means it's actually pretty cool, I guess.
I still want to tatoo KSK's tracklist into my back!
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.13, 07:48 AM   #25
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I meant in other cases, like when someone gets some kanji tattooed on em.
Old 2008.07.13, 08:50 AM   #26
Masuku

Masuku pleased at least somebody

I'm also reading the book at the moment (well i've been reading it whole year and not yet finished.. i'm lazy with thick books xD) and yea it is interesting book, even if it might take few 20 pages before you really feel like dropping in the story.

And about tattoos.. i've seen too many persons who have mistakely gotten a tattoo which says something like "I'm a cow" and thought it meaning "flower" etc :'D
Masuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.13, 11:43 PM   #27
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I think Tsumi to Batsu is probably my favorite Shiina Ringo song (I'm not sure if I'd get a tattoo of it but....) and I think it always will be. This is the first song I heard by her that really blew me away. It's actually gotten to the point where I cannot listen to this song in my car without the volume being at full blast. I am always physically compelled to crank the volume up. I can't resist it. And I love how Kameda's bass rattles my entire car when the ending starts up. And did I mention how insanely badass that organ intro is? Oh, just so awesome. And Asai's guitar just squeals and screeches in your ears. I love it. The recording of this is perfect and she has yet to make a live version that is of the same caliber. Don't believe me? I'll critique some of the major live versions bit by bit since I have nothing better to do.

Gekokujyo Xstasy:
-Starts off with the organ. Very cool. I'm digging it.
- Pretty strong opening vocal from Ringo.
* Wait? That was the band's entrance? Sounds so neutered it's not even funny. The original hits you in the face like a freight train. Drums sound way too tight. The original had a much heavier sound.
* Yayoshi ain't Asai Kenichi. That's for sure.
- Kameda's bass isn't bad.
* Ringo's vocals are decent, not as strong as album version though. She doesn't even do her little scream before the guitar solo.
* Guitar solo's nothing special.
- Organ player is doing awesome still.
- SR nails the last chorus.
* She sounds good doing the reprise of the first lines of the song but it follows the single version and ends with the wimpy "whistle" ending. Meh.

Electric Mole:
* Piano intro isn't bad but organ beats it.
- Shiina Ringo delivers a nice opening again.
- YES! Now that's what I'm talking about. The band blasts you with sound and she starts wailing. That's "Tsumi to Batsu"!
- Consistently good vocal through chorus. I even enjoy HZM and Hirama's fills.
* Loses steam before solo yet again.
* Hirama's solo is just okay.
* - Another pretty good final chorus. Well, with one REALLY bum note. Sticks out like a sore thumb.
* She stops singing and the band finishes the song? What??? What happened to that wailing and shrieking at the end? That gave it so much energy. It had that extra oomph. Ugh. Very disappointing. I'd almost rather have it end with whistling.

Otakara show performance is probably the closest to the recording IMO. But it's definitely not her best vocally and the band seems to really lack energy during the final chorus for some reason. She's singing her heart out and they start playing softer? What? Very confusing.

But I digress. It's just one of those songs where I think there was some kind of chemisty with the band she recorded it with that can't really be duplicated live. It's just one of those special moments on Shouso Strip. And if Phase 0 Jihen couldn't nail it, NOBODY can. At this point, I don't think I would want to hear her attempt this song anymore for fear of what Ukigumo would do to it. *shudder*

Anyway, about the other tracks on this single. I actually prefer the "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" cover over the Frankie Valli version (which is impressive in itself since I love The Four Seasons).

"17" is a great song. It could just be that I'm a major sucker for piano but I think it's one of her most heartfelt ones. The English isn't even that bad in it. I especially love the instrumentation too. To be honest, I think this song deserves a lot more recognition that it gets. I know I sure as hell couldn't write a song this good in another language. This is better than most English-speaking songs people record today! That really says something.
Old 2008.07.14, 06:05 PM   #28
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Yeah, I loved "17" when I first heard Shiina Ringo, and still do now. All the B-sides don't get enough love!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.14, 08:22 PM   #29
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I put "17" on a mix CD for my friend who had just moved away from me across the country. She told me later that when she was wandering around her new city, totally lonely, that song came on the player and made her cry.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.14, 08:28 PM   #30
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I just about spit up my whiskey during the NBA finals when Laker Ronny Turiaf showed off his tattoo for "family." It was the kanji character for "house," which makes up only half of the "family" compound.

Since the same character for "house" is used to create the sexist compound "kanai" for "wife" (meaning "house/deep inside") I couldn't help wondering whether Turiaf was a misogynist or just a moron.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote