Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.05.11, 03:01 PM   #41
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Put as much thought in? You mean write a novel of text making the same point you can write in a sentence? Yawn.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.11, 04:38 PM   #42
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

He doesn't mean write a wall of text like Glath or I tend to, he means explicate effectively. Now, it is much easier to write a long explication than it is to write a short one.
Old 2011.05.11, 06:47 PM   #43
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'd like to see any new fan go anywhere near the depth and detail that old fans have put into their posts. Something more than "Haters gonna hate" or "Well I like it" would be a nice start.
Well, I certainly try to explain my positions on why I like Shiina.

Also, it's not like old fans don't fall back on the same set phrases ("She's lost her edge" "She's getting lazy" "She's too commercial" "Uki sucks" "She needs to write more" "She needs to get Hirama back" "Uki sucks" "She needs HZM back" "Uki sucks").

And I have never typed "haters gonna hate" ever, except for just now.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.11, 08:13 PM   #44
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Now, it is much easier to write a long explication than it is to write a short one.
OT: I wish I could implant that critical thought into the brain of everyone in the field of academic film studies.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.11, 08:32 PM   #45
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Funny.
Old 2011.05.11, 10:58 PM   #46
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
It's considered as Inoue Uni's work.
He did an amazing job of the sound collage. I always guessed the idea was Ringo's though, just like symmetry, singing lyrics backwards and things like that. Or maybe it was just an idea that Inoue or someone had that SR adopted...?

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad
As was said in another thread, new fans didn't go through the heart break and ingrain the same expectations as older fans.
It is possible to be a new fan of the old music and be heartbroken by the new material.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.11, 11:53 PM   #47
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Also, it's not like old fans don't fall back on the same set phrases ("She's lost her edge" "She's getting lazy" "She's too commercial" "Uki sucks" "She needs to write more" "She needs to get Hirama back" "Uki sucks" "She needs HZM back" "Uki sucks").
And thank your demonstrating, with a certain degree statistical proof, the reasons SR 2.0 (and by extension TJ 2.0) suck is no longer what it used to be.

Actually it would be fun to do a moods analysis of SR/TJ's work surrounding each album. The technology to do such analyses already exist (they usually take data from twitter), but I'm not geek enough to execute them.

Anybody wants a go at it? This would be a great project for anyone involved in Data Analytics. The results might be interesting.
Old 2011.05.12, 12:11 AM   #48
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Actually it would be fun to do a moods analysis of SR/TJ's work surrounding each album. The technology to do such analyses already exist (they usually take data from twitter), but I'm not geek enough to execute them.

Anybody wants a go at it? This would be a great project for anyone involved in Data Analytics. The results might be interesting.
If there wasn't so much potential for bias on that, and if I wasn't buried in quarter-long school projects of a different nature, I would have a go at it.

The problem with taking data from EMF, is that the 'consensus' would be based on which kind of fans are speaking up, while the statistics would ignore a much wider fanbase who may already feel as if they effectively have no voice. Then if you take data from elsewhere, hardly anyone is critical about new releases at all. So how does an analytics person balance these different sources, or choose one source over the other?
Old 2011.05.12, 01:47 AM   #49
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Well. The limitation of data collection is that there *always* will be some sort of bias. We never will know if someone is lying or not. Or course, with a larger, more diverse sample from different sources, you can eliminate some biases.

Biases don't automatically invalidate the veracity of the data. In fact, they automatically segment the most vocal/influential/(and perhaps important?) users from those who are less vocal and influential. And when the "general consensus" seems to head a certain direction, perhaps there is a legitimate trend which should be explored.

Also. No one is powerless in EMF. Everyone has the same access to post here. Obviously there are members who are more influential... but that doesn't make what they say more "correct" than members who are less influential.

Anyway Glath, when you ever have time to do that, I'd like to be involved.
We can aggregate data from twitter, and last.fm.
Old 2011.05.12, 10:50 AM   #50
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
It doesn't work when some of the things you're complaining about from the old fans are facts.

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
It is possible to be a new fan of the old music and be heartbroken by the new material.
I like you new retrofit fans. You make a lot more sense to me. Especially you guys who post about musical theory and the like. Seems like the more experience you have with composing or playing an instrument, the more you see the new music for the shallow shell it is.