Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.06, 12:34 PM   #331
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
But why does the production on Reimport sound like like it's character, whereas on Sunny it's it's worst element?

Maybe it's just more offensive cause I know some of them old songs on Sunny exist without being so muddy and loud- Carnation's single mix for example.
*shrug* I don't know. It doesn't sound all that different from SG or HF to me. Just about any problem with the production of Sunny can be applied to those albums as well. I don't agree with it being character with Reimport just because it's one of the only albums I can't listen to for more than a couple of tracks (the other being Californication by RHCP).

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I feel like she tacked on Ariamaru Tomi just to make sure the album ended well after those two songs.
Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
Adding ありあまる富 there feels like a last-dich effort, and it's disrespectful to such a classic.
Ha, similar thoughts, but I don't feel as strongly as you. I don't find it disrespectful, but I do find it foolish to finish an album with a five and a half year old song that was used as promotion for the previous album. I would have preferred another new track to serve as the closer.

Edit: Also, I stand corrected on the guitar work. Yukio Nagoshi played on Arikitarina Onna and not Ukigumo.

Last edited by Maou : 2014.11.06 at 01:16 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.06, 02:53 PM   #332
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So has ANYONE heard the 96/24 version yet?

Keen to know if it's in any way an easier listen...
Old 2014.11.06, 05:33 PM   #333
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Here we go, my review on Sunny.

After Reimport, there was a great deal of excitement and speculation in the air about the potential 'proper' 5th studio album by Ringo coming out in the near future.

What we didn't expect (well I didn't anyway) was that it would be out in the same year. We also didn't expect it to have half songs we'd already heard- and we especially didn't expect a song that was 5 years old to be appearing on the tracklist. we never expected THAT album cover either...

But that's all in the past now. The album arrived and doesn't actually look all that bad in physical form (though it's no KZK to look at either...). So how does it sound?

LOUD. LOUD AS A FREIGHT TRAIN. But this is a Shiina Ringo album, and it's to be expected. I can grumble (and have grumbled, believe me) about it but I will try to ignore that and talk about it's content.

And hey, ultimately, the songs aren't too shabby. Standalone, the new songs make one nice little mini album. Mixed with the old songs, quite a bit is detracted from the quality but there's no denying that there is indeed quality there.

JL005便で shows off some really nice orchestral work, mixed with some minimal (for this album anyway) electronic work, Ima is a great centerpiece track and reminds in many ways of Sanmon Gossip's Shun. Infact, the majority of these new tracks wouldn't sound too out of place on Sanmon Gossip, albeit they seem a little less inspired. Chichinpuipui is the most fun track here, another song I could imagine on a spy movie in Ringo's collected songbank.

Kodoku no Akatsuki is the weakest song here, and in this reviewer's humble opinion, probably the weakest song in Ringo's solo catalog (both versions). There is just something quite... wretched about it. Unluckily then it's followed up by seemingly universally hated Carnation- which is actually in truth one of her most beautiful songs- in the most awkward transition I've heard in a while.

And there is what the album really comes down to being- awkward. Awkward because we've heard half of it before and it's hard to get truly excited about. Awkward because it ends with a 5 year old song which is ultimately better than anything else on the album. Awkward because it's the first Ringo album I can't really defend. I want to love this. Yet I can't. It doesn't mean I don't like it. But SHIINA RINGO'S 5TH ALBUM should be so much more.

I reluctantly score it a 6.5/10.

Maybe next time Ringo.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.06 at 05:48 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.06, 05:35 PM   #334
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
You signed up for a message board related to an artist that you think is C material? Who is A material?
I am PRETTY sure that Inseu wasn't referring to the quality of a music with those letter grades...... =p
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.07, 07:59 AM   #335
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

A pretty great interview with SR just went online at:

http://natalie.mu/music/pp/sheenaringo03
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.07, 12:51 PM   #336
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

my love for this lady is renewed.

This album is really great!
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.07, 04:01 PM   #337
deadgrandma

Someone gave her the printouts of the reaction to Sunny's tracklist. Mad troll.
Old 2014.11.08, 03:55 AM   #338
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
A pretty great interview with SR just went online at:

http://natalie.mu/music/pp/sheenaringo03
How is it great?

SUNNY vs Sanmon Gossip is interesting to me. Sanmon Gossip on first listen made a bigger impression. But this album contains more of the more 'heartfelt' songs that Sanmon Gossip was lacking with all its sassy-ness and cuteness. This album highlights the superficiality of SG but I can't really explain how. There's a reason why she went in a certain direction with Tokyo Jihen and SUNNY feels like the solo culmination of that TJ development. But it syncs with the older albums because it sounds as if she's desperately trying to achieve that sound.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.08, 03:59 AM   #339
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ Yes, to me, this album sounds like she realized that she doesn't need to form a separate band/identity to make good pop music. She's never sounded happier and more relaxed.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.08, 04:36 AM   #340
deadgrandma

If SG was a lovely meal, Sunny is that same meal microwaved and put in a blender.

Quick to consume but nothing to truly savour.